Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,599 times

Advertisements

I am retired, but my wife, a nurse, is not. Finding employment for her should be easy enough. We are considering moving from Colorado Springs to some place in Oregon. I once lived in Corvallis, and liked it, aside from the rain.
Criteria for my wife would be topped by quality of gardening. Shortly below that would be a short commute to a quality hospital.
I am more interested in avoiding really hot and really cold and snowy weather. I enjoy woodworking, and that can be done about anywhere.
Politically, we are not persuaded that Rush is underpaid, and tend to agree with Al Franken's assessment of him.
We are coming to Oregon next month for a week of scouting, and plan to see Silverton, McMinnville, and the Medford area. Ashland would be great, but housing is a bit beyond our means. We want to keep the price of a house below 350k, if possible.
No kids, so fishing is more important than schools.
Do our criteria light a bulb in anyone's mind?
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:45 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
If you want to stay small town, then in the valley then Silverton is probably a good choice. Good hospital. Jobs are hard to come by here, even for nurses. Oregon has 12.1% unemployment right now.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OregonBound View Post
the Medford area. Ashland would be great, but housing is a bit beyond our means.
So the RRV doesn't fall under your avoidance criterion of "really hot and really cold"?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,599 times
No. Houston, Las Vegas and Atlanta qualify as really hot. Really cold are Chicago, Buffalo and Banff.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Check out Southern Oregon. There are 2 hospitals in Medford, one in Ashland, and one in Grants Pass.

Talking fishing - look at the Grants Pass area! That's my favorite, anyways!!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
Anecdotal but telling (from Portland Housing Blog)

JohnG, Guest, and Longboard among others, I think my problem is that I have too many family members that are in deep due to this economic situation: sis in Boston bought in 2005 and has lost 20%, brother in Portland will likely send jingle mail this year, brother in Greeley, CO has lost nearly 30% (his dp plus some) and his company is possibly merging read MORE LAYOFFS (he's been laid off 2X in 5 years), aunt and uncle in Phoenix (in their 60's mind you) caught with a high end flip using their equity in their current residence, cousin and spouse in West Hills, CA have lost 30% in their home value AND she works for Country Wide and is expecting to be let go this year! A 58 y.o. uncle in Fort Worth laid off after more than 30 years with 84 Lumber. Another uncle in his late 50's laid off in Peoria, AZ.

Plus, I've overheard a conversation in Laurelhurst Park of a couple in their early 40's cashing out an IRA. I work on the hill and hear about people trying without luck to refi to cover childcare expenses (not enough equity). RN's unable to sell to be travelers. A coworker trying to pick up extra shifts due to her spouse's cut in hours.

I am an RN and live near two new grad RNs that can't land an interview, no one is hiring in PDX. In June my contract is up and I am nervous!

So if in your world people are buying spendy BMW's, great, but the rest of the more common folks are feeling this. I don't need to read negative news any more because we are living it.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Howdy 2OregonBound.....................

We Love fishin' & explorin' the BLM lands....................................... ........

Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,784 times
There are a number of hospitals in Yamhill County. McMinnville and Newberg have the biggest ones. I am not sure if hospitals are hiring there is a 13.5% unemployment in the county. Colorado Springs is a nice community but it too has employment issues and the cost of living is a lot higher in Oregon simply because it is a coastal state. No state tax but high income tax about 9% to 11%. Property tax is similar to other states but can go up over time, but is widely different from county to county. For example Washington County could be twice as high as Yamhill county. Oregon is a bit weird politically than perhaps where you are coming from. It is the only state where you will find "red-neck liberals". Portland and Eugene being the most liberal. Housing is really interesting. There are many manufactured homes throughout the state and mostly in rural areas. Houses tend to be smaller and garages are typically very small so if you want to set up a shop, you'll need a place to build a pole barn or something like that. Look in areas like outside of McMinnville or Newberg but make sure you get yourself a good real estate agent. I fired two agents before I chose one that I liked when moving from Utah to Oregon. Make sure you are prepared with requirements ranked by very important to least important or must have, nice to have, not needed. That will narrow down the time to search and for goodness sake make sure you don't buy in a flood plane. Your agent should know how to check that out. Some agents don't like to work with someone who is prepared and rather just throw properties at you that they have listed because they are hungry; those are not the agents to work with. Trust me. Ensure that you are really ready to move. Moving costs can be expensive. Plan to spend at least $8K or more if you have a lot of stuff. Negotiation is key here also. You will be surprised how different the bids will be. If you do buy a house negotiate for the seller to pay your closing costs; I wish we had done that it would have saved us thousands of dollars. It is a buyers market right now so you can negotiate quite a bit for every part of your move. Just make sure it is right decision for you in the current economy. Moving is expensive and it could be a nightmare if you are not totally perpared. Fortunately we were very prepared and got everything we wanted because we took those extra steps.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I'd check out Roseburg. Good Fishing, Weather, healthcare options, + community college and some nice folks (Many active retirees)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon