U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,953 times

Advertisements

My husband grew up in Eastern Oregon and loves to go up in the mountains. He goes mudding, rides dirt bikes and four wheelers. My daughter has even begun driving her own four wheeler. So my question is, is there somewhere relatively close to Roseburg that we can still go out and do this? We are used to just driving 5 or 10 minutes to get up in the mountains. I could really use help here so he knows that all his outdoor activities will still be available.
Thank you very much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,126,995 times
There are lots of recreational opportunities in the Thousand Valleys of the Umpqua. Be aware, though, that web-footers (western Oregonians) tend to be more environmentally conscious than bunch-grassers (eastern Oregonians). Four-wheeling impact is much more destructive in wetter areas than it is in drier ones. BLM lands probably offer the best prospects. See though if you can get them to get him to get over the juvenile machismo image of ripping up the land with internal combustion equipment and do something healthy instead. Go into the wilds on foot or with a mountain bike and you'll raise your level of appreciating of the outdoors to one that motorheads never get to experience.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:12 PM

I grew up in Portland and love going for hikes and enjoying the beauty of nature, as does he. Where we go dirt biking is on an area reserved for this sort of thing. I know that there are the Umpqua sand dumes relatively close, but I guess what I was wondering was if there was anywhere closer than that in which he could go and enjoy riding. It is not something he does to tear up the land, but rather we all go for a ride, him on his dirt bike and my daughter and I on a four wheeler in designated areas. We make a day out of it by packing a lunch, taking a nice walk around and take in the scenery. I do not really like your generalization about individuals on the East side compared to those on the West. I just was curious if there is this option for us close to Roseburg.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,338,475 times
I'm sure there are such designated areas for that because a lot of people in Southern Oregon do like to go dirtbiking and four-wheeling, etc. The thing is that I'm not sure the type of people who *generally* post on this board would be the kind of people who spend their time doing those things (like our last poster...).

I have friends who enjoy four-wheeling, but their family owns their own very large property and do it there. However, there are also a lot of people who go mudding and so on in National Forest and BLM lands (often illegally) here in Josephine County and it really is very destructive to our sensitive and extremely unique ecosystem in this particular area.

I wish I could offer you some suggestions, but I just am not familiar enough with four-wheeling or with the Roseburg area. If you hold out, maybe there is someone on here who does know where you could go.

Actually, one thing I might suggest is calling a dirtbike or four-wheeler dealer in Roseburg and asking them if they know of some places where you could do that.

Hope you enjoy Roseburg!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Thank you for the information. I never thought about calling a dealer down there to ask....I appreciate the help

Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,761 posts, read 47,925,559 times
check here, doesn't look too close to Roseburg, better buy a few hundred acres.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/atv_map.pdf (broken link)
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: ATVs About Us
I know folks around Glide who 'off-road' in many areas nearby, I doubt if it is all private land., and is quite close to Roseburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon