Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 23,425 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Oregon in 6 months and am wondering where do the upper-class live in Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:36 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Each city has it's own upper class areas, but Lake Oswego and the West Hills of Portland are upper class. If you tell people what city you are moving to, they can tell you where the upper class neighborhoods are for that city.

I also need to say that while we have many nice homes and wealthy people, most wealthy Oregonians are not "flashy" wealthy folks. I can think of one 17,000 sq foot mansion in Salem, and one other one in Turner. Not sure what you are looking for.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
A lot of big-time wealth in wine country, with small wine hobby farms and massive houses.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
Trying to join them, or avoid them? If the former, and you don't already know where they live, then you probably aren't "one of them."

Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Guessing from his user-id, I'd say he's looking for his future patients.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Each city has it's own upper class areas, but Lake Oswego and the West Hills of Portland are upper class. If you tell people what city you are moving to, they can tell you where the upper class neighborhoods are for that city.

I also need to say that while we have many nice homes and wealthy people, most wealthy Oregonians are not "flashy" wealthy folks. I can think of one 17,000 sq foot mansion in Salem, and one other one in Turner. Not sure what you are looking for.
I also don't believe that Oregon's wealthy, for the most part, are flashy folk. My weekend neighbor here at the coast is one of the wealthiest people I have ever known (can't begin to list all of his assets, even just the ones I have heard about, including a chunk with his Portland business). You would never know it. He's one of the nicest, most down to earth people I have ever met. It bothers me when someone consciously tries to flaunt wealth. Oh yeah, I think I know that Turner mansion. They had an indoor bowling alley and had to ride some kind of tram to get to all areas of their "abode". Egads!

Salem also has Chinook Estates, where the estates each have their own acreage with views.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Chinook estates is beautiful, but I don't consider it flashy wealthy...Not like CA homes. We also have a few gated communities here in Salem, but I guess it depends on what the OP is looking for.

Yes that Turner mansion had the servants quarters and was on sale for like 6 years...no takers. Most of our wealthy seem to have a nice home, and then second homes on the coast or in central Oregon.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,287 times
In Oregon, there is always that opportunity to buy a piece of beautiful property and build your own whatever. Because it is such a beautiful state, there are always breathtaking views to be had, depending on what type a person wants.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,978 times
Bend has its share of very wealthy people and some mighty expensive houses, especially in the newest "destination resorts" like Tetherow. I guess I have always struggled with the word "class". I know some extremely wealthy people who have little class and some dirt poor folks who have a lot. In my experience, people who call themselves "upper class" often aren't so classy.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,738 times
Jacksonville probably has a high percentage of wealthy folks...but I agree, they're not flashy about it. They may be seen driving pickup trucks or their 6 year old car. And even their homes may not be flashy, but when you have a view of mountains or city lights and a nice home, it's quite pricy. Many are just plain elegant without a lot of "look at me, I have money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon