Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
We just moved back to Beaverton after being near Medford for 3 years. Re-starting our business here in the west Portland suburban area (without even hounding my previous customer list) we have just finished our BEST winter and spring for business since 1988 (in 20 years worth). So I can't put much stock in worrying about maybe 5 extra people per 100 being on the unemployment rolls. Odds are those 5 would not even be my customers. Even the 10 or 11 per 100 who are unemployed are unlikely to be my customers. Whatever is going on locally, one thing is certain, there are a lot of people left with money that has not vaporized.
It is more like 17-18 per 100 in Southern Oregon. I neither would want to dash your hopes unnecessarily nor encourage you unrealistically... I would look on the Medford-Ashland-Klamath craigslist and also the online classifieds of the Ashland Daily Tidings and the Medford Mail Tribune to see if you can get a feel for the job market for your field.

If anything, and you feel really sold on an area (I wouldn't totally rule out Oregon), perhaps it'd be best to weather it out just a bit longer until the economy improves. Now just may not be the right time unfortunately, but the area really is beautiful and I think you may really enjoy it. Oregon is predicted to be among the first states to come out of the recession (this year in fact, though personally I am a little doubtful it'll start improving that soon, but that's just me...) along with Washington, Idaho, Colorado, and Texas.

I'm not sure how much research you've done, but maybe get to know better the area(s) you're considering and ask us on City Data more questions you have and google pictures and more climate info, etc. and figure out where you'd really want to move and then wait just a little longer until things get a little better.

Sure, some people say you could definitely make it, but as a secretary it may be hard to get some good full-time work, though it would definitely be easier if you have experience in a medical office. It is a big risk if you move out right now and the advice I can give is if you really have your heart set on a place and feel like it's right for you, well... Just wait it out just a little longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 AM

19 posts, read 56,580 times
Oh man Oregon! The Pacific NW. You can find work as a fur traders with the locals. Historically, it is one of the most stable job here. However their city are fulled with meth addicts and renders the city into unproductivity. But their beavers are really nice here. You can just run into one and rub their fur. Ooooh so soft. Lol.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpwantout View Post
I was looking into the Ashland or Talent, OR areas and would like your input. This site seems to have a lot of info. I currently live in SE Florida and hate it and am ready for a move. I've lived in NJ, SC, NC & OK, so I really miss the change of seasons. I'm definitely layed back, but will have to work FT (15 years secretarial exp. although I hate it) to support myself. I'm 46 with no kids, but after reading these posts, I'm starting to wonder whether or not a move to OR is a good idea. I don't have lots of spare $ to travel around to a bunch of places, so I need to narrow down to just a couple. I can only afford about $500-$600 max/month for an apartment; which is also a challenge. I'd like a town/small city - no more than 25,000 if that's possible.
No offense, but I don't think there's work for you here.

The rate you want to pay for rent is probably the rate for the most undesirable areas, unless you want to be a roommate.

I could be wrong of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon