Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Well, you're not overwhelmed with choices.

The quickest way is to take 140 out of Winnemucca, up through Denio, to Lakefield, and finally to just south of Klamath. Here you take 66 over to Ashland.

There aren't a lot of towns or houses on this route; it's a lot of desert driving, but the road is decent. Gas up in Winnemucca because you're next chance will be Lakeview. Be sure to enjoy the view as you descend Dougherty's Slide just after crossing into Oregon.

At a reasonable pace, you're looking at about 5.5 hours from Winnemucca to Klamath, and then another hour to Ashland.

You're other option would be to head down I80 to Reno and then pick up 395 north to Susanville. Take 44 out of Susanville and then pick up 89 to pop out on I5 just south of Weed. Then it's I5 north to Ashland.

This route is probably an extra 3 hours driving time, but you pass through a few more towns.

In the summer and not towing anything huge, I'd vote for the route along 140.

When we go to Reno from the Grants Pass area we usually take the route getting on 89 by Shasta City over to Susanville. We Like it....................

Drive Safely.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,125,804 times
Thanks a lot guys, I did take road 140 and it was OK, in the sense that it was a well maintained road. I was afraid that it might had been a secondary road with a lot of pot holes. The scenary was impressive indeed, the loneliness didn't bother me, because I felt I had the entire road to myself. The only unexpected things were the dangerous curves coming down the mountains, being from Chicago I wasn't used to driving in the mountains, but somehow I survived. Because I had the whole road to myself I was able to take my time, without worrying about being tailgated and rushed by a big truck. Those who advised me to take route 140 were right, it saved me a few hundred extra miles and enjoyed the view.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip.

Doherty's Slide always is a bit of shock to the system for first-timers. LOL

Enjoy your year in Ashland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon