U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:17 PM

9,881 posts, read 20,329,170 times

Advertisements

I was considering moving to or but the unemployment rate is @ 12.5%. This is due to many people moving to oregon & not enough jobs available. ALOT of californians have moved to or & are now facing financial hardship such as losing there job & there savings/investments dwindling down. The unemployment rate in ca is 11.5%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 PM

758 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Bring money! or your business.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 AM

5,273 posts, read 13,561,020 times
It is a challenging time to find work, but people who are hard workers usually find a way to get & stay employed. My best frind and his wife just moved two months ago from Georgia. Within 30 days she had a $50,000 per year job as executive secretary and he a $45,000+ per year job in a combo sales position and field inspector for a local glass company. Neither has a college degree and are in their 50's. They just have a good & stable work history and worked very hard to find jobs. Two things young people don't seem to understand.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:19 PM

218 posts, read 542,784 times
Yes, even challenging for professionals. High tech companies in Beaverton, OR even watching their pennies - and engineers really holding onto their jobs. Above poster right. We are professionals in our 50's - and have found that in our hospital, they simply are getting rid of the dead wood, so to speak. When times were flush, one could afford to have some lazy employees. No more.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,761,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
It is a challenging time to find work, but people who are hard workers usually find a way to get & stay employed. My best frind and his wife just moved two months ago from Georgia. Within 30 days she had a $50,000 per year job as executive secretary and he a $45,000+ per year job in a combo sales position and field inspector for a local glass company. Neither has a college degree and are in their 50's. They just have a good & stable work history and worked very hard to find jobs. Two things young people don't seem to understand.
I am pretty leary of this advice by anecdote. Sure these two landed good jobs, but I cannot recommend moving to Oregon now unless you have a solid reserve to keep you going, and an exit strategy in the case that it does not. 12.5% unemployment is very serious, and it is quite possible you will not get on base. I would keep working wherever you are now and do your research. Move when you get a good offer. Just generic advice, but I would rather assume the worst than these rah rah stories. My wife works at the welfare office, and there are a lot of sad stories and angry people in Oregon right now.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:18 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,071,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am pretty leary of this advice by anecdote. Sure these two landed good jobs, but I cannot recommend moving to Oregon now unless you have a solid reserve to keep you going, and an exit strategy in the case that it does not. 12.5% unemployment is very serious, and it is quite possible you will not get on base. I would keep working wherever you are now and do your research. Move when you get a good offer. Just generic advice, but I would rather assume the worst than these rah rah stories. My wife works at the welfare office, and there are a lot of sad stories and angry people in Oregon right now.
I agree. I have an excellent work record and worked very hard to find a job when I was out of work from July 2001 through July 2004. In between I took classes, temp and part time jobs. The husband and wife who got good jobs right away were very, very lucky.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 AM

21 posts, read 48,364 times
I have to agree.
I posted a thread a while back (which I'll update in a few minutes) about our move and my aspirations. I have been here in roseburg or a week, and even though I still have a job technically with my previous employer, albeit on an as-needed /part-time basis, I have to say that my ego has been seriously damaged and I have been humbled by what I've seen.

Be absolutely certain that you have a backup plan or have enough resources to tide you over, AND be completely sure that you are not moving here just for the fantasy of "living in oregon." Yes, it's pretty and beautiful and all, but if you are anything like me and cannot stand to wake up everyday without a solid task list or job that requires 20hrs of work in an 8hr period with something satisfying to see at the end of the day, be very careful.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM

758 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Well,
I'm reasonably well-educated with a very stable work history, and it took me three months to find a good job in the BOOM of 1994. It is very difficult to find work in Oregon from a distance. Perennially, more people want to live here than the jobs will support, with the result that housing has usually been cheap, and career-building far better in Seattle or San Francisco.

I agree also that the folks who moved here and immediately found work had really good timing.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,542,103 times
I was laid off at the beginning of September and still have not found a job. Its pretty bad, I am 30 years old and had to move back in with my parents due to not finding work and running out of money. I am now wishing I went to college.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 PM

9,793 posts, read 10,924,951 times
I have to think that if it was as simple as a stable work history and street smarts that 25 million people wouldn't be un/underemployed. Do you imagine ALL of them are slacker losers? Since this isn't Politics and Other Controversies I will leave it there. On topic though, I see little difference between 11.5 and 12.1. Both are awful. Oregon however, will never be a leader in positive employment outlook. The base of the economy is agriculture and the high tech niches are too small to be useful.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon