Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 58,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Hmm. Okay. My parents have lived in the city proper of Grants Pass since 1991 (Josephine County for another 10 years) and the only problems they (or I) have ever had with crime have been having a garden hose stolen and having someone break into our cars (they tried to take a stereo but gave up). We always lock our doors (to the house and cars) and don't leave valuables lying around on the seats of the cars or in the yard. I was born and raised there and never heard of ANYONE having their home burglarized EVER though I read about it occasionally in the Daily Courier. Never had any incidents in downtown other than wannabe gangster kids who are harmless.

Overall you may have had one really bad fluke experience. Grants Pass is not at all an unsafe city. Sure there are undesirable elements there like everywhere, but it's really not bad at all. Portland, where I live now, is very safe, but there is MUCH more crime here than in a place like Grants Pass.

Pretty quaint town, really.

I appreciate your input and am not trying to be rude at all but how would you even know about any burglaries unless you have access to a police database??? I know that I would have had no idea of the burglaries going on here. The newspapers don't report every burglary because they don't want to freak people out. It is a beautiful town but downtown is extremely dangerous. Go to crimemapping.com and type in 320 NW E st Grants Pass and you will see what I mean. I double checked with the police department and they assured me this information is true and correct. By the time I found out about this website, it was too late, we had already committed to the place. I have had to call the police several times and am just beyond stressed....especially since my husband works nights...so scary. We are moving out of here asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 01:42 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdeputy View Post
I appreciate your input and am not trying to be rude at all but how would you even know about any burglaries unless you have access to a police database??? I know that I would have had no idea of the burglaries going on here. The newspapers don't report every burglary because they don't want to freak people out. It is a beautiful town but downtown is extremely dangerous. Go to crimemapping.com and type in 320 NW E st Grants Pass and you will see what I mean. I double checked with the police department and they assured me this information is true and correct. By the time I found out about this website, it was too late, we had already committed to the place. I have had to call the police several times and am just beyond stressed....especially since my husband works nights...so scary. We are moving out of here asap.
I couldn't find this information that you're talking about... But good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 15,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdeputy View Post
You have to be kidding! I typed in the address & in the last month there has been only 2 burglaries quite a few streets over from your location. There has been a concentration near 99, but other than that, not nearly as many as Medford,

We are moving to Oregon in June, and Grants Pass is on my list to check out. Believe me, there is the good & bad no matter where you live, and right now I live in a small town in Missouri. There was less crime in the county where I lived in CA than there is here.

Get a grip!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,534 times
Where is the best area to live in Grants Pass that is still affordable. We are retiring soon and am looking for a single family home in the 140,000 range...? Anybody have suggestions?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 PM

197 posts, read 459,280 times
You can check Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data for prices and homes. There's a link near the bottom, above the map, that you can click on to check for crimes. Many in that price range have been sold. Lately, the sales have been up here. The south east area has some trouble spots but post a place you're interested in and we can help.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 AM

3 posts, read 7,819 times
A move to Grants Pass can be a good move, however you need to do your homework in researching where you are going to live. Do you want to be close to town or out in the rural area?
Watch out for Realtors in Grants Pass who only list over priced homes and property! There are a few Moderator cut: inappropriate language (Realtors) that love to list over priced properties so they can get there picture placed on a for sale sign on as many parcels that they can. Taking advantage of people moving from California.
As I make this post (April 2014) the market inventory is moderately low, if you find a home or property that has been on the market for over 9 months chances are the seller and listing agent are hopping to $cash$ in on someone coming up from California.
If your looking at a piece of property do your research, including a home inspection, check with the County and building department to get the history and know if there are any restrictions.
Making a reasonable offer based on history and conditions to a home inspection, possibly a soil test if your wanting a small garden.

Last edited by delta07; 05-01-2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
I grew up in Grants Pass and loved it. It was always my dream to return. I left at 18 and moved back at 36. I have found a very different place than the city I grew up in. Grants Pass still has that small town all American city feel as long as you do not look to close. The drug/homeless situation is out of control. We have a janitorial business and we see what goes on. The small police force does the best that they can but are forced to throw up their hands. If you live in the county you can not get the help of the police until after 5:00 p.m. If you look at the crime stats you will see we are right up there with the big city's per capita. The, grade schools are really good but be warned when you enter middle school it's a new ball game. You really start to see the drug elements effect with the children being raised by drug addicts. We are looking to relocate. If you have children run. There is not a lot for them to do and the run around finding trouble. It's bad and so sad that this beautiful place is being over run by people just chasing their next high

Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,769 times
My Husband and I are considering retiring in Grants Pass...on a fixed income and are coming from foothills of central calif..is it less expensive to live in Grants Pass than the Sierra Foothills of Calif?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon