Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2006, 01:20 PM

19 posts, read 188,142 times

Advertisements

We have definatly decided to move to the Bay area in August, but what I am wondering is if it is in a flood hazard area. Does it flood quite frequently? Are you required to have flood insurance on a new mortgage? Also is there a tsunami warning system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
Red face Flooding

I live in the Bay area but not in Coos Bay. I am not required to carry flood insurance on my house. There are a few areas that can flood once in a while.

There are 2 things you can do to prevent this. Talk to your Realtor before you go examine houses for sale. Tell them that you don't want in an area that is likely to flood or requires flood insurance. We did this before we bought our house and it worked out just fine. The Realtor should know all the areas that have flooded in the past.
They are putting a Tsunami warning system in and there are tsunami maps that show places most likely to get hit.

Secondly just use some logic when you look at a property. It may have a nice view but, is it sitting low by the water? Myself I like to buy on high land.

Good luck with your move. Most of us who live here really enjoy it.

Last edited by Waterlily; 07-10-2006 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-11-2006, 12:35 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
I do know that sometimes during the winter months after several days of substantial rainfall (1 inch or more in a day) along with an extreme low/high tide, Highway 101 thru downtown Coos Bay, the street sewer lids will be bouncing and the merchants stack sandbags along their storefront entrances but that's not very often.

As for tsunami warnings in the Bay Area, the Charleston system is recently up and running and the whole Bay Area is posted with evacuation route signs and there are regular tsunami walk-thru evacuation drills in the schools so we are aware.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 20,032 times
Default Floods in Coos Bay?

While occasionally there are floods that cause the manhole covers on Hwy 101 to rise, they are rare. Such floods are not technically floods, but extreem high tides that occur when heavy rain fills the rivers and wind holds the tide in. They affect only those portions of Coos Bay that are close to sea level, as Hwy 101 is as it goes along the bay. The same phenomenon occurs in the flat bottom lands along the rivers and streams that used to be tidal flats. These were protected with levees and tide gates, but every so often (3 to 5 years) the combination of rain and wind held tides overtop the levees or the levees fail due to saturation. Most of the area in and around Coos Bay is well above sea level and the reach of tides.
The greater problem cause by heavy rain is landslide. In areas where the land has been disturbed (cuts, fills and clear cutting) the land is unstable and when soaked by long periods of significant rain, will slump or slide. Roads often suffer. Just be sure your house is neither close above or below altered land.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
Here's the thread I was looking for about the tsunami information. We have not had a tsunami here. Just a couple of weeks ago they were trying out a new tsunami warning siren in North Bend. They'll soon have more of them.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:48 AM

85 posts, read 644,310 times
Default Mudslide hazard

I just wanted to add to what Randav said about buying near disturbed land. My home in Northern CA was destroyed by a mudslide ten years ago. The source of the slide was an abandoned logging road that had been built 40 years before using unsafe methods. If you're near hills you might want to pay a little extra to have a qualified geologist check the areas above and below. Also, research the history of logging on surrounding land. It's worth the extra effort. By the way, flood insurance (when I had to buy it postslide) was not that expensive and covers things that your regular homeowner's insurance doesn't. You'd be surprised what your regular insurance does NOT cover.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Floods are not uncommon, and a tsunami is a certainty. We have a lot of earth quakes offshore. Parts of the City of Coos Bay flood regularly from both tides and storms. Portions of the county are dry at times and lakes for months at a time. Major mud slides in the city are frequent. We have had two recently. A few years back a child was brain injured for life after a hill slid down on his house. There are still restaurants below that hill. The highway between the two towns (North Bend/Coos Bay) was just closed because of a mud slide and that is right in town. I am not trying to preach doom and gloom. I love it here, but the facts are the facts. If you are looking for high and dry try the desert. Of course some of the worse yearly flooding I have seen was in Arizona and covered 80% of the city YEARLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon