Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:27 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times

Advertisements

Lest folk think we were just kidding about the unemployment rates in Oregon and the difficulty in finding a job here, take a look at this link. Via this formula it seems we have the highest unemployment rate in the nation.

This is not meant to be discouraging to those of you who want to move here. "To be forewarned is to be forearmed!"

Broad Unemployment Across the U.S. - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
SeeBee:

Thanks for the link.

However....
The data is for each entire state. There is no description of data source, nor a specific sampling error (other than a broad disclaimer.) I have a hard time believing the New Jersey, Ohio, and Wisconsin data on that map, but then again my limited knowledge is specific to just one city in each of those states.

BTW: there is a rumor in Michigan that many have been unemployed for so long they have been dropped off any government list as being counted as unemployed. Also, they no longer have land-line phones (cheap pre-paid cells are selling very well) so phone surveys bypass them.

Still, the link would imply a valid comparison between Boston, MA and Portland, OR. But I still contend I would rather live, and suffer unemployment in Portland than live in Memphis, TN with the heat and Gulf Coast summer humidity coming up the Mississippi valley.

Phil

Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 PM

The NY Times has kind of a running piece on unemployment data and a very interesting article on what the stats are & how they are gathered and analyzed. Not all of which I completely understand.

I think this article covers a lot of the weaknesses of the data and quotes the economist who oversaw the Data Survey.

Unemployment - News - Times Topics - The New York Times

I am with you 100% about the Pacific NW being a much better place to be unemployed than in the south or east. I remember the sweltering humidity from back east all too well and can't fathom living someplace like the Gulf Coast.

At least here we have some 'breathing' room, so to speak. In very desperate times, one could actually find places to camp out and live - not an option in other areas of the country.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 AM

57 posts, read 147,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
SeeBee:
BTW: there is a rumor in Michigan that many have been unemployed for so long they have been dropped off any government list as being counted as unemployed.
Phil
That is the problem with any unemployment number it doesn't tell the whole picture, just the data that they have. And that data is only people that have filed for unemployment benefits and are currently receiving them.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 AM

36 posts, read 129,092 times
Default Uh, about living in the Gulf Coast. . .

Yeah, about living here in the Gulf coast as we do: It's HOT. The humidity and heat combined is just unbelievably UNCOMFORTABLE. Throw in the mosquitoes ---which seem highly aggressive this year, and you've got a cess pool of physical misery no matter how lovely the scenery. So uncomfortable in fact; that my husband is actually considering leaving a stable job for Oregon. I know it sounds insane, but it's to certain point now. We're all at that point I think. (We wouldn't just up and leave without having something lined up first.)

My husband had to take a 'forced' early retirement from the military some seventeen years ago. We moved from our place of station (Ft. Ord, California) to Florida due to unforseen family circumstances---and that whole "forced retirement" bit; we've just sort of been 'stuck' here since. However; he has just been plagued with allergies and slowly declining health since we got here. It's to the point where even the docs are suggesting a move to a cooler climate. (Doesn't have to be dry, just COOLER.) We've never been able to adjust to this heat and it isn't getting easier, it's getting harder. He never had allergies anyplace else till we got HERE. (We've been stationed from Germany to Colorado, to Hawaii to California.)

We're quite familiar with the cooler climate of the West and we miss it, but we don't wish to return to California. So Oregon it is. I don't care one wit how much it rains there in Oregon; it's a nonissue for us, we have downpours almost daily here in the summer months. We're just looking for a more comfortable climate and currently have our eye on Portland. At least there, we can be more comfortable whilst we struggle through this or that---maybe get in a few drives up in those mountains while we're at it. We'd consider that heaven and be grateful.

I should mention that I've just come to this thread after reading quite a few threads that were rather 'anti-Oregon' on a few other threads. To say they were disheartening would be an understatement. Anyone out there have something GOOD to say about life in Oregon? I know there are hot political issues going on in Oregon. There are issues here in Florida too. Heck, there are issues EVERYWHERE these days. We'll all just have to deal with it like we always do. We're not expecting a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, we're just hoping to go where we're not boiling in our own skins anymore---and THAT statement was said from within the full comfort of the AC going fullblast (can you hear it wheezing???) whilst living in fear of the day when the AC does peter out to the tune of at least $8000.00 in yet another hurricane whilst scratching the fourteenth mosquitoe bite I've gotten in the dubious safety of being INdoors for days. Let's not mention the $270.00 a month for the electric bill for at least four of the eight long summer months---and we live in a townhome, no McMansion.

I apologize for the length of this as most of the other comments in here were so brief, I was just a little disheartened to hear so many antiOregon posts. And I don't mean to 'bash' my own state either, we're just a little . . . mismatched is all. If you like heat, sun, partying, entomology, and Disney World, then Florida is the place for you. Just watch out for the lightning.

Peace All,
the DragonLady

Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 AM

We're having our version of a heat wave (near 90F this week); over east it's 100+F in some areas. But nothing like what you are struggling through. I find even 90 degrees rather hard to take.

There're plenty of pro-OR posts here. The negative ones do seem to glow in the dark a lot brighter. Sometimes we all just like to argue and debate, I guess.

I think some of the negative posts are in response to someone having an unrealistic vision of living here, or having lived here for only a few months. You know, the kind of posts that say "we know the weather is perfect, everyone has a great job and there are no gangs because we stayed in Portland for three days and didn't see one homeless person, etc, etc"

Please don't be disheartened if you're set on moving to Oregon or Washington.
You obviously know that there's no perfect place, but of course there are much better ones. Not being interested in entomology myself (), I think Oregon/Washington both fit the bill of "not perfect, but better than most."

Are you folks checking into jobs in Washington, too? That's certainly worth a try. And no it's not insane to leave a stable job if one's health is in jeopardy and you are unhappy where you live.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Default I needed to hear you say that!

Hi Seebee,

Oh, you've no idea (well maybe you do) how much I needed to hear that. Yes, considering Oregon's higher unemployment rate, we are of course looking into Washington as well. Truth be told though, we are still setting our sight on the Gresham/Portland area as my son will be transferring to another college---he's chosen the one in Portland. My husband works for the local Sheriff's dept here. We figure there's law enforcement agencies everywhere---and criminals, so I don't think the job issue will be too huge to overcome, but again, we'll have something lined up first.

I thought I might be losing my mind though about even considering a move at this point in THIS economy, but one often loses perspective. Still, we KNOW that a move will make us all feel better. I don't think I can take another summer here---or one more mosquito bite. I've lived in Florida for the past seventeen years and I'm still finding 'new' bugs that I don't recall seeing before! There was that large one with spots outside the door a few days ago that. . . nevermind.

I've been studying all about Oregon for weeks now---so we won't be the obvious 'transplants', lol. That would be the hope anyway. I have noted the 90+ temps there lately, but you don't seem to have them for seven months out of the year. That's a HUGE plus in my book. At least there are the mountains to escape too. Down here it's the beaches, but the Gulf waters are about the same as bathtub water this time of year---not a whole lot of cooling down going on. Lately too, there's been a disturbing rise of gang presence at some of our favorite beaches---which is sad really, because beaches should always be what they were meant for: bikinis, surfers, fishing, sun and family fun---not a show of gang territorial force.

At any rate---thanks so much for the encouragement, I really needed to hear it.

Peace Always,
the DragonLady

Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Ah, I feel for you guys. I know that I am quite fortunate to be living in OR in this economy. We've got all the bad stuff, but it's so much less than what's in Florida. Over time I think things will change, but that's almost a given with large increases in population.

There are a lot of agencies you might want to check into around here. I checked this site for Portland Police because they're the ones least likely to lay off anyone.

You can be notified of open/continuous application process for lateral transfers and have direct contact with a recruiter. I'm sure you've probably already checked, but what the heck.

Portland Police Bureau: Recruitment

They're even recruiting via Twitter!(I've got to get used to our electronic-driven age) ~ BTW, they are inundated with applications, so apparently you folks are not the only ones who are getting out of Dodge.

90 degrees seven months a year??? I wouldn't be able to stand that! We have those temps more like a few weeks at most, thank goodness. A few years ago I stayed in southern Cal for a while. Inside with A/C the temp still rose to high 80's (with those rolling black-outs). No thank you.

Have a good week ~~~~ SeeBee

Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Cool Thank You.

Hi SeeBee,

Thanks so much for the link. My husband is a Civilian employee of the Sheriff's Department. While he does wear the uniform, he is not a law enforcement officer. He is what's known as a 'Community Service Officer' and does a variety of tasks from filing misdemeanor reports to translating for the local Hispanic population to looking up data on the computer for civilians and law enforcement alike.

We'll have to approach the job aspect differently I think. The recruitment thing is for the actual Police Officers.

Yeah, 90+ here for seven out of the twelve months. There are a few high 80's mixed in with that, but by the time you factor in the humidity, it feels quite HOT. It literally takes our breath away sometimes. We've had rolling blackouts in the winter of '88 I think---which isn't a big deal really. Sometimes it gets into the 'teens' though, but even so; things heat back up quick enough.

We lived in Central California, but we never needed the AC in Ft. Ord. I can imagine you'd need it in Southern California though.

Peace Always---and thanks again for the link.
the DragonLady

Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
Portland and southwest Washington are one and the same, and the UE rate is over 11%.
Seattle is better, but still not what one would call booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon