Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,674,274 times

Advertisements

Well now, this is indeed an interesting thread.

Humidity in Oregon? Well, yes it exists, but mostly during the cold season so it isn't really an issue.

Fake boobs in Oregon? Well, yes it (they) exist, but,...sorry I have nothing more to offer in this department.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-20-2009 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 PM

21 posts, read 60,130 times
So far the recommendations given by some of you include the following cities or towns:
Sandy
Brightwood
Rhododendron
Welches
Wemme
Mosier or Hood River area
Manzanita or Astoria
Silverton Oregon

In my initial research, I found most of these towns to be at a very low altitude. That leads me to believe that although the altitude is very low, the fact that you recommend them instead of high mountainous regions indicates that it can indeed be very pleasant to live there in the summertime.

For some strange unknown reason, I always assumed that a high altitude mountainous region in the summer would offer a more cleaner and crisper air then sea level would...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,622,906 times
We lived in Oregon, and some of the areas suggested would fit your criteria. he towns themselves might not have as high an elevation as you wanted, but the areas surrounding town would. First thing I thought of was Mt Hood and around the town of Hood River,also,across the Gorge to the Washington side,Skamania,Stevenson come to mind.. Manzanita or Astoria on the coast(or anywhere around the coast). Beautiful, and I would guess often populated with more 'naturual' women then Miami.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-20-2009 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed

Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 PM

I would love to hear from Oregonians the contrast between living in Lake county versus Hood River County Oregon. Both I believe are mountainous regions but also, I assume, very culturally different. I find it necessary to eliminate as much of parts of the state as possible (for example the entire coast line) in order to narrow down and concentrate my search. What I'm certain about is that I want to spend summers in the mountains and at high elevation. I believe my next decision should be to choose between the northern or central or southern part of the state..

Please comment.

Last edited by nietzschele; 07-20-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM

If anyone could take a moment to compare the specs (monthly weather patterns and elevation) of the Swiss mountainous town of sills, in the link below, to what you believe would be comparable to an Oregon town, I will indeed be very grateful to you.Sils im Engadin/Segl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,472,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nietzschele View Post
If anyone could take a moment to compare the specs (monthly weather patterns and elevation) of the Swiss mountainous town of sills, in the link below, to what you believe would be comparable to an Oregon town, I will indeed be very grateful to you.Sils im Engadin/Segl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The two really aren't comparable at all. The temperature array most closely parallels that of the Oregon coast, but that would be an inappropriate climate comparison on a number of levels. Switzerland is an interior continental climate with cloudy rainy summers. In summer-rainy climates, towns can more easily exist at high elevations because water availability is not a problem. Oregon is a coastal state with cloudy rainy winters and dry sunny summers. Few people live at higher elevations in Oregon as mountain areas here are typically non-urbanized National Forest and BLM land under federal jurisdiction. This isn't Colorado. Water availability in summer is going to be an issue where summers are dry and water flows downhill, so most towns in Oregon are in the river valleys. Elevation isn't necessary for temperate summers here. Overnight lows are typically in the 50's and sometimes the 40's during July and August in most of low-elevation Oregon. Only in southern Oregon do most homes commonly have air conditioning. It isn't needed elsewhere.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
The two really aren't comparable at all. The temperature array most closely parallels that of the Oregon coast, but that would be an inappropriate climate comparison on a number of levels. Switzerland is an interior continental climate with cloudy rainy summers. In summer-rainy climates, towns can more easily exist at high elevations because water availability is not a problem. Oregon is a coastal state with cloudy rainy winters and dry sunny summers. Few people live at higher elevations in Oregon as mountain areas here are typically non-urbanized National Forest and BLM land under federal jurisdiction. This isn't Colorado. Water availability in summer is going to be an issue where summers are dry and water flows downhill, so most towns in Oregon are in the river valleys. Elevation isn't necessary for temperate summers here. Overnight lows are typically in the 50's and sometimes the 40's during July and August in most of low-elevation Oregon. Only in southern Oregon do most homes commonly have air conditioning. It isn't needed elsewhere.
your analysis is precisely what I needed in order to move forward. I had to first determine whether a mountainous region in Oregon is necessary for temperate summers. Surprisingly, not so.

dividing the state into six major climatic areas: which would you say is the most temperate in summer months???.

1)Coastal and Lower Columbia (Clatsop, Columbia, Coos, Curry, Lincoln, and Tillamook Counties):
2)Willamette Valley (Benton, Clackamas, Lane, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Washington, and Yamhill Counties):
3)Southwestern Oregon (Douglas, Jackson, and Josephine Counties):
4)Columbia Basin (Gilliam, Hood River, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Wasco, and Wheeler Counties):
5)South Central Oregon (Crook, Deschutes, Grant, Harney, Jefferson, Klamath, and lake Counties):
6)Snake River Basin (Baker, Malheur, Union, and Wallowa Counties):

Ideally, I would like to narrow my search down to a handful of counties. My main criteria is clean crisp air, very low humidity and natural beauty.

Last edited by nietzschele; 07-20-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,472,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nietzschele View Post
dividing the state into six major climatic areas: which would you say is the most temperate in summer months???.

1)Coastal and Lower Columbia (Clatsop, Columbia, Coos, Curry, Lincoln, and Tillamook Counties):
2)Willamette Valley (Benton, Clackamas, Lane, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Washington, and Yamhill Counties):
3)Southwestern Oregon (Douglas, Jackson, and Josephine Counties):
4)Columbia Basin (Gilliam, Hood River, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, Wasco, and Wheeler Counties):
5)South Central Oregon (Crook, Deschutes, Grant, Harney, Jefferson, Klamath, and lake Counties):
6)Snake River Basin (Baker, Malheur, Union, and Wallowa Counties):
#2. Summer days are dry and sunny. Mornings are cool. Afternoons are comfortably warm but seldom hot.

#1 will be even cooler (and more humid), but includes areas that can be downright chilly in summer (mid-50's for a daily high).

Check one of my older posts for more information An Oregon climate map and primer

Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM

I think we are on the right path to finally hammer out a great summer destination with user Steve97415

Thank you again for all your help

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-20-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: orphaned material removed

Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 34,109 times
Good Question...I'm probably moving to portland...or near and lived 15 years in northern illionois....its not that humid in Oregon isit......?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon