Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:41 PM

177 posts, read 582,495 times

Advertisements

It's hard for me to tell by the maps I'm seeing online. If I were to get a job at Legacy's North Portland Location Emanual Hospital where could I live that would be my quickest commute ... if I didn't live right in Portland. What about Forest Grove (I liked that place)? Or even Scapposse. How long do you think that drive would take me? Or what are some good areas right there to look at. I DO NOT want to drive far to work - I do that now and it is so tiring.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Forest Grove would not be a good choice unless, you parked at the max station and took that in. Then you'd have to take a bus the rest of the way.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Commuting there from Forest Grove would be awful if you are tired of commuting. It'd be like 45 minutes driving... Plus there is possibly traffic on the 26... Yikes. It'd take even longer to Park and Ride and take the MAX.

It'd be about a half hour to Scappoose. Vancouver would be closest, but getting over the Columbia can be really tough during rush hours... I'm not sure how long that would take normally. There's always the city of Maywood Park...

Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 AM

ok thanks for the info. that sucks cause i really loved forest grove. any more suggestions would be helpful. what are the nicer areas around that hospital?? ill look into maywood park? haven't heard of that one..
so you think even in traffic it would take 30 min to scappoose. is that traffic really super bad there by emanual?
if i'd happen to get this job ill hv to line up a place to live online pretty much .. so all the info will help! ill do somemore research, too

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 AM

73 posts, read 231,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Commuting there from Forest Grove would be awful if you are tired of commuting. It'd be like 45 minutes driving... Plus there is possibly traffic on the 26... Yikes. It'd take even longer to Park and Ride and take the MAX.

It'd be about a half hour to Scappoose. Vancouver would be closest, but getting over the Columbia can be really tough during rush hours... I'm not sure how long that would take normally. There's always the city of Maywood Park...
The unfortunate reality is that there is no "city" that you could commute from easily to that location.

Forest Grove is a horrible commute to North Portland (don't forget the nasty winters for the past 4 out of 6 years), and Vancouver is a hellish commute too. You'd be better off going east to Troutdale, thereby taking the 84 and getting off at 181st and taking 30 west to Legacy Emmanuel. (That would be for traffic jams.) Otherwise, you could take 84 west, 205 north very briefly, then Sandy Blvd. west. These are all much better options than a freeway commute because the traffic has gotten really bad here at rush hour.

As far as taking the Max from Forest Grove, then the bus: that's a long hellish commute. The only advantage is you'd get a seat in the morning because it's really far west. You could conceivably take the MAX to really close to Legacy and walk up the hill. Doing that would probably require a transfer from the Eastbound MAX train to the Northbound MAX train. Not a great area to walk in (industrial) and it'd be a an uphill walk but you wouldn't have to wait for or ride the bus the rest of the way. Depends on what time of day you'd be traveling.

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Just curious - have you absolutely ruled out living in Portland? There are some very nice places to live that would be an easy commute to Legacy Emanuel.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
North Portland has some lovely homes and there is also the NE part of town that would be close by. Like any place there a good and not-so-good neighborhoods but you have to look for what suits you. There are really no close commutes to the hospital in North Portland. It is in right in the city. If you want a more suburban or country-like setting, and there are some very nice ones, you would have to travel some distances to work.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 PM

rob, no probably not. i usually just feel more comfortable in smaller places ... like forest grove, i really liked that vibe when i was there. i start getting freaked out in big cities .. i feel like such a small little speck in the world ... which we are anyway, but cities remind me of it too much. i just want a place where people are not always racing so fast that they don't have time to relax and get to know some people around them, ect. i just like country type of areas .. but close to a city with plenty to do! plus i get extremely depressed when i look around and see big corparations everywhere ... i like plenty of small businesses around. i might check more into it there in the city, though. i applied tonight at providence on barnes road ... so i'm going to look into what is close right there. i'm running out of time =( as my landlord here says he needs to know within 3 days if we are staying or going ... and if not going we have to sign another lease. i'm so freaking upset =( anywhere we go here that i know of all have year leases. i want to get to oregon so bad

Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 PM

hummingbird, ugh thanks for the info. being from a small town that all sounds like a horrible nightmare to me. i'll look more into it. thanks =). read the above post ... i'm running out of time =(

Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 PM

thanks i'm going to check it all out =). i'm almost out of time to make it work right now =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon