Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaliswriter View Post
Husband and I spent 8 days at the coast this past summer using our vacation plan to book in at Newport. It rained every day, was in the mid-to-high 50's, windy, foggy every morning, and the sun peeked out twice in those 8 days. I felt chilled to the bone, it made walking on the beach or even in town not very much fun. (I have severe arthritis even in my feet!). In 6 yrs. back in Oregon *(my home state) I have developed severe osteoarthritis, with every injury to my joints I've ever had in great pain. Our trip to Klamath Falls last month for 6 days was delightful. It was cold at night (mid-to-high 30's) but didn't "feel" cold! We were surprised by thought it might be due to higher altitude, lower humidity, etc. 39 degrees one morning felt more like 59 in Portland area! It was barely chilly to us. We had a great time, no aches or pains, and thought for sure we'd be in for some discomfort. We rented a chalet, turned the heat off - even at night - as the place retained heat so well and there was no "damp" feeling! Although we did get some rain, it was just completely different in the feel. It would clear off - and the sun would come out! Awesome scenery and lots of wildlife - so close up and personal. 8 deer in our rear yard - 2 babies and 6 adults - 10 ft. from us, grazing and watching us watching them. Lots of gorgeous bird life and the California quail families we'd grown to love living in Utah and having them breeding up in the junipers on the back of our property there. It was a great get-a-way and it made up for the 8 days of cold/wind/rain the end of July and first part of August at the Oregon coast! Ironically, you have to book about a year ahead, or you don't get a spot! We held high hopes for good weather so we could enjoy our visit a bit more!
Thanks so much, again you are very helpful, and convincing. I know those weather variables that make or break arthritic conditions. K Falls sounds very good then, in this respect. ooooooo Snowshoe-ing Ive always wanted to do, and thanks for reminding me that there is natural beauty. Youve also reminded me to be Verrrry careful to 'know' the weather pattern before making a move. Living in pain is an added burden. Okay, wow, i cannot thank you enough, this is very very helpful to me. Our application at the comm. college is in, so we'll see what happens. Sounds like the econ there is not great, but weve seen here as well that it drives many people back to school. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y1alee View Post
YOURE SPEAKING MY LANGUAGE!! Okay, I live on the EAST coast, after a long 2 decades in western WA, where I prayed to leave as my arthritis, even as a young person was killing me, daily aching. So, here in the south (VA) it feels like a warm moist heating pad most of the year, wonderful and not arthritic pain. Now, we are looking at a job, due today/tomorrow (the application) in Klamath Falls. It sounds like youre saying the weather is great. I am wondering about the sun, given someone said in the surrounding area i think, that the tall pines obscure it? I would think with lots of warmth and sun there are plenty of days to enjoy it? Anything you can share will be most helpful, including the fire escape need (dry season/fire season). Thanks so much.
hope my BIG THANK YOU, and a few other comment s came back to you. This is s000000000 helpful to me. Youre a great contact for me, as you understand the idiosynchrosies of arthritis diseases. Thanks for all the reminders of how weather and humidity really affects daily living.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Hi y1alee,

I would just point out that Klamath Falls is sunny and lots of open space, so no problem finding sun. However, it will be much colder than Virginia. When I was on the rowing team at Humboldt State (in Arcata, CA-Northwest Coast) many moons ago. One or our last regattas was in Klamath Falls in May. We were snowed on during the race! Now I live in Ashland, and my impression here is that 5 months of the year are warm to hot, 7 months cool to cold and cloudy. K'Falls would have somewhat less clouds, but be about 10 degrees colder. That says Intermountain West to me, which is beautiful and majestic, but not warm. I will agree that it is likely to feel less cold than the temperatures say, because of the greater solar radiation and lower humidity. However, I would suspect you might miss the warmth and greenery of Virginia, if that is important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon