Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 PM

177 posts, read 582,572 times

Advertisements

Ugh, I am having a horrible day. My landlord called today out of the blue and says we only have 3 days notice to let him know if we are staying or going to Oregon, or wherever. If I don't get a job .. like tomorrow! ... then we're going to end up stuck here in MO another year having to sign another lease (we were on month to month since we already fulfilled our 4 years here, until just now, TODAY). MO is not so bad. I like it here in many ways .. the seasons, my extended family who I will miss sooo much when I go, ect., but I am just so ready for a change, and Mike and I have been for 2 years now ... I wanted this to work ... and one big thing.. I'm tired of being in the damn Bible Belt! Ugh. Southern or Northern Oregon will work .. I like things about both of them. The culture moreso in Northern, but the weather and peacefulness of the Southern area .... I want to be by the ocean, too.
Anyway, soooo I'm trying one more hospital location that just posted some new openings. I'm to the point of begging ... almost, but I feel bad doing so because I know many locals are out of work, as well, so who wants to hire an out of state person (though I have applied for and finally received my Oregon RN license) ... when their own local people are looking for work .. so I can understand
Anyway, Barnes Road .. the Providence Hospital right there ... who can tell me anything about it ... and the best and closest smaller place (I see Forest Grove is 30 mins away dangit) ... or decent, not too pricey, neighborhood there ... and I can look at maps and do more research, but I'd like some first hand experience. How is the traffic right there by Providence on Barnes Road? ... and I do not want to drive far, so what's a good middle point so Mike can get to the community college and me to work in the least amount of difficulty ... JUST INCASE I would happen to get a job TOMORROW .. if not, unfortunately, my dream of moving to Oregon will be put on hold another year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
The traffic is really bad right through there. The closest small town is probably Forest Grove. That whole area is developed suburbs. It's nice, but it's not small quaint town that you are looking for. I used to live in the West Hills and traffic just stinks on 26.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
The traffic on 26 is bad during rush hour. At other times, not so bad. On the plus side, Providence St. Vincent is not far from Portland Community College's Rock Creek campus, and the campus is close to the edge of the Urban Growth Boundary, so the countryside is nearby. I think North Plains is closer than Forest Grove, and you can also look in areas like Banks, Helvetia and West Union. All of those are more small-townish than the suburbia around the hospital.

Good luck, Melissa! I hope you get the job!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The traffic on 26 is bad during rush hour. At other times, not so bad. On the plus side, Providence St. Vincent is not far from Portland Community College's Rock Creek campus, and the campus is close to the edge of the Urban Growth Boundary, so the countryside is nearby. I think North Plains is closer than Forest Grove, and you can also look in areas like Banks, Helvetia and West Union. All of those are more small-townish than the suburbia around the hospital.

Good luck, Melissa! I hope you get the job!
that's good news to hear the countryside is close by! i think we drove through north plains (a really small, quiet, peaceful place, right? i'll look it up) so that's be good. thanks again. its 11:40 am there in oregon so someone could still call. I HOPE

Old 07-31-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The traffic is really bad right through there. The closest small town is probably Forest Grove. That whole area is developed suburbs. It's nice, but it's not small quaint town that you are looking for. I used to live in the West Hills and traffic just stinks on 26.
well that sucks to here the traffic is awful, but nice that forest grove and those others aren't too far. i'll look more into it cause when i typed in on yahoo maps the distance i thought it said to forest grove was like 30 mins .. and if traffic is bad i would think that would mean like 2 hours!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
hey btw .. i see you are a real estate agent. i want to get into that someday really bad!! it interests me a lot! i took and passed my exam here in MO years ago, but like an idiot never used or hung my license with anyone so i guess it's no good. i started nursing school right after i got that ... so i didn't have time to do any real estate and after all that work i just let it go. i think i could learn to business part of it easy, but i need to learn a lot about home construction, inspection, ect. i'd love to sell big beautiful homes around portland someday

Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
hey btw .. i see you are a real estate agent. i want to get into that someday really bad!! it interests me a lot! i took and passed my exam here in MO years ago, but like an idiot never used or hung my license with anyone so i guess it's no good. i started nursing school right after i got that ... so i didn't have time to do any real estate and after all that work i just let it go. i think i could learn to business part of it easy, but i need to learn a lot about home construction, inspection, ect. i'd love to sell big beautiful homes around portland someday
I encourage you to stay in nursing for a while. It is really hard for many agents now and several are in foreclosure.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I encourage you to stay in nursing for a while. It is really hard for many agents now and several are in foreclosure.
yea, definitely. i feel so thankful to have my nursing license. it is my key to moving anywhere in the world ... plus, i do like the things i learn ... i want to get certified in holistic nursing. anyway, i would like to do real estate someday on the side.
as a real estate agent, do you know of many or any apts in forest grove or north plains? i never see any on craigslist for the smaller places.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM

I'm in Salem so I don't cover those areas. Craigslist and the local newspapers are your best bet.

The Forest Grove News-Times Ι News

Old 08-02-2009, 06:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
If I lived somewhere I sort of liked, with family I actually did like... ... Trust me, no part of Oregon is going to be that different from where you are now to make the destabilization of relocation worth it. I lived in NYC and was paying 1500/mo for a one bedroom 400 sq./ft apartment. My commute was 6 miles but it took 1hr and 15min. Maybe it's not officially in the bible belt but Google how many churches there are there someday. It will give you some valuable perspective on 'perceptions'. Nope. You are just not a good candidate for relocation. Come on up and vacation here whenever you feel like it, then think real hard about whether you really would have a different kind of life if you lived here 24/7.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon