Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:06 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been covered before...I did a search for 'homeless' and got nothing.

Oregon homeless figure tops nation - KTVZ.com Central Oregons News, Weather and Sports Leader -

By Amy Easley, KTVZ.COM

"Oregon has the highest proportion of homeless people in the nation, according to a new report issued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development...."

Why?

Why are the homeless attracted to Oregon ...why are more native Oregonians homeless?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:33 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Here's my thoughts: Mild year round weather and lots of bridges and trees to sleep under to stay dry when it does rain probably attracts the street people.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
If you read the Portland Tribune every week they have stories about homeless people. Most of us think the homeless consist of druggies, runaways, mentally challenged, starry-eyed young people from other parts of the country who move here without a plan and so on. But there are also middle class folks living out of their cars and I believe that number is growing.

I think many people living in other states who have stable jobs decide the grass is literally greener and decide to move for that reason. They feel that their vast knowledge of computers, their success in their present jobs, their high-level skills will get them jobs here. Just peruse this website to find the "I have a teaching degree," "I am in computers," "I am in management" "I have experience in everything and will take anything" and so forth. They cannot grasp the fact that for every one of them there are 100 more like them all competing for the same jobs.

I think these are growing class of homeless people adding to those who are already there.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Definitely directly related to high unemployment, something we're also toward the top in right now.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:09 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Yes high unemployment is a large part of the cause for this. There are also people still moving to Oregon without jobs. Some of you may have read this in one of your newspapers
The World Link : Bend: 'poverty with a view' (http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2009/07/20/news/doc4a64b387adbd8845924509.txt - broken link)
They say that Bend,Oregon seems to importing the unemployed.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:52 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Google - public data
I posted this before, but for those that may have missed it...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If people are moving there thinking they'll get a job...aren't they spending money too? That should create *some* revenue.
Increased population is usually a great thing for the local economy (says the guy who lives in Austin).

And Washington and California's Unemployment Rate isn't as bad as Oregon's.
They have nice, mild climates too.

Not that I disagree it just still seems mysterious to me...there must be something more.

Last edited by brubaker; 07-26-2009 at 04:22 AM..

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Here's my thoughts: Mild year round weather and lots of bridges and trees to sleep under to stay dry when it does rain probably attracts the street people.
California has better weather so it is not just that.

High unemployment plus (just guessing here, I have no idea) good social services that attract out-of-staters??

Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
I think the culture is more tolerant of it here. That and we have just about the highest unemployment.

I don't think our social services are any better than other places. California's services WERE better until recently with the budget crises they've been facing... I can't believe some of the dumb sh*t (state programs) that California's government was paying for, for a while. It was ridiculous and it's no wonder they're on the verge of bankruptcy.

But anyway, I think just mainly the economy. Oregon's is the worst on the West Coast. And we attract tons of new people all the time too. Not a good combo.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
The homeless are increasing everywhere. The area I live in mid-Maine has 910 beds available per week and for the first time the other day they recorded in the daily paper that all 910 were filled during that week. This is the first time this has ever happend - even in the winter months. I imagine they will have to add more, if that is possible as winter approaches.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
The homeless are increasing everywhere. The area I live in mid-Maine has 910 beds available per week and for the first time the other day they recorded in the daily paper that all 910 were filled during that week. This is the first time this has ever happend - even in the winter months. I imagine they will have to add more, if that is possible as winter approaches.
That's true but people are not flocking to Maine as they are Oregon. What I can't understand is why people want to come here now, without a job, and run the risk of being homeless. I wouldn't move any place right now as long as I have a job and the economy is so bad most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon