Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:29 AM

176 posts, read 202,282 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both places and yes, there is a noticeable difference the rainfall in the two places. Spring starts earlier and Fall arrives later in Southern Oregon. The tradeoff is hotter temps in the summer. As noted, Medford gets about 20" of rain a year (on par with the Bay Area). Portland gets about 35-40", which is definitely enough to make a difference. And Grants Pass does not get a full 10" of rain more than Medford. The two towns are pretty comparable in precipitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 06:51 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post
I've lived in both places and yes, there is a noticeable difference the rainfall in the two places. Spring starts earlier and Fall arrives later in Southern Oregon. The tradeoff is hotter temps in the summer. As noted, Medford gets about 20" of rain a year (on par with the Bay Area). Portland gets about 35-40", which is definitely enough to make a difference. And Grants Pass does not get a full 10" of rain more than Medford. The two towns are pretty comparable in precipitation.
That 10" rain differential between Medford and GP is from 77 years of Western Regional Climate Center data and it's actually 30.9" average in GP and 19.11" average in Medford. Maybe the location that they obtain their data in the 2 cities is causing that but virtually all of the climate information on these 2 cities shows approx. 10" more rain yearly in GP. I'm more interested in how that affects the yearly sun hours and most people seem to think there's not a lot of difference.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:50 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
From year to year, Grants Pass gets plenty of Sunshine.....

Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 PM

176 posts, read 202,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That 10" rain differential between Medford and GP is from 77 years of Western Regional Climate Center data and it's actually 30.9" average in GP and 19.11" average in Medford. Maybe the location that they obtain their data in the 2 cities is causing that but virtually all of the climate information on these 2 cities shows approx. 10" more rain yearly in GP. I'm more interested in how that affects the yearly sun hours and most people seem to think there's not a lot of difference.
Hmmm...when I lived in Medford it didn't seem like the forecast between the two places was much different, but when I look it up it does say GP averages 30". I guess the surrounding hills must wring out more moisture. I suspect that the cloudy vs. sunny days should be pretty close.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 PM

135 posts, read 134,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
You'll hear lots of references to "sunny southern Oregon." By Willamette Valley standards, it is a shade sunnier, but most of that extra sunshine comes in the summer when we have more than we need already. Spring gets started later, but warms up faster and late spring (mid-April to June) will be a little sunnier than what you're used to. The same for early fall. But the bad news is...winter will only be about a 20% improvement (that' not much). Medford and Ashland are in the rainshadow of the Siskiyou Mts. and so get much less rain than Portland. But that doesn't mean it's significantly less cloudy.

You really have to get out of the "roaring forties" to get an improvement in winter sunshine. Unfortunately, the 42nd parallel is Oregon's southern border. You don't have to go much further south...Redding or Chico...to get south of the storm track and pick up a huge benefit in winter sun (more than 140 hrs. in Dec. as opposed to 60-80 in Medford). But than means living in California...ew.
Yeah, the whole "the Rogue Valley is sunny" thing isn't entirely true. SUNNIER probably, but not by much. We are drier, but that doesn't necessarily equate to sunshine.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:14 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post
Hmmm...when I lived in Medford it didn't seem like the forecast between the two places was much different, but when I look it up it does say GP averages 30". I guess the surrounding hills must wring out more moisture. I suspect that the cloudy vs. sunny days should be pretty close.
Also, you need to know where the data is is collected. Grants Pass data comes from the Merlin Seed Orchard, Medford is the airport. I did some work in JO CO a few years ago and as far as the low cloud/fog in winter, it always cleared in GP before Merlin.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveMaybe View Post
Yeah, the whole "the Rogue Valley is sunny" thing isn't entirely true. SUNNIER probably, but not by much. We are drier, but that doesn't necessarily equate to sunshine.
We have about 55 days more of sun/part sun, which is not quite 3 months and enough more sun for me. Yes, Nov-Feb is still rainy, cool, cloudy and occasionally foggy. Sure, we can go a few weeks without sun here as well as they do in Portland.

BUT we start getting nice days in March and by May or so the weather is reliably warm and sunny, compared to the beginning of July in Portland.

People in the sunny SW might view that as splitting hairs, but it is that early spring sun that makes the difference to me.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:39 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
We have about 55 days more of sun/part sun, which is not quite 3 months and enough more sun for me. Yes, Nov-Feb is still rainy, cool, cloudy and occasionally foggy. Sure, we can go a few weeks without sun here as well as they do in Portland.

BUT we sUeginning of July in Portland.

People in the sunny SW might view that as splitting hairs, but it is that early spring sun that makes the difference to me.
That's what it looks like to me from someone who has lived in Portland but not in Rogue Valley. March in Medford averages 1.71" of rain and a day versus night differential of 23F (60/37). Portland gets down to 1.7" in June and also has that 20+ day versus night high differential in June. Portland has 8 months of 2"+ of rain and Medford has 4 months of 2"+ rain.

Also comparing the number of days where you have at least a 20F+ differential between day highs and night lows (which is an indication of sun warming), Portland has 4 months (June-Sept) while Medford has 9 months (Feb-Oct). This seems significant to me and I'm really comparing Medford to Seattle which is even more of a differential and only gets 2 months with a 20F+ differential.

I compared GP and Ashland on that 20+ differential and ashland has 10 and almost 11 months with the differential and GP has 9 months (same as Medford).

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 09-20-2015 at 12:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon