Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidni View Post
Edit:
Now of course, 2 minutes after I typed this, I happened upon photos of homes with blue skies behind... Ha ha ha. I knew there had to be sunshine occassionally.
Those pics are Photoshopped.

(j/k)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 PM

55 posts, read 146,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
The west side of Oregon and Washington is wet and rainy, often gray.
East side of Oregon and Washington is considerably drier and sunnier.
As an eastsider, I'm biased...if I lived on the west side I'm afraid I'd cut my wrists one winter...
I absolutely loved the gray rainy winters in Portland when I lived there, it didn't bother me one bit, I found it relaxing. What I didn't like was the fact that in the summer there is not a single cloud in the sky and you can just feel the ultraviolet radiation burning into your skin every time you step out side. Basically it rains constantly from about Halloween to St. Patricks Day. From the Fourth of July to mid September there is hardly a cloud in the sky and it is hot and bone dry. The times in between are transition periods between the two with the springs being particularly long and chilly compared to elsewhere in the US. One thing is at the high northern lattitude Portland is at in Summer it doesn't get dark until 10 o'clock and the sun is already comming up around 4:30am and you can get a little bushwhacked from lack of good sleep.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 PM

114 posts, read 268,318 times
Default It rains.

Fact: It rains in Western Oregon in the fall, winter and spring. A lot and often. Washington is set up the same way, only MORE! I have lived a long time on the wet side. I love the soft luminous light, the dampness and coolness, the constant sound of water, The dark forests. It's not for everyone. Rent for a year and see if you can stand the winter before you buy.
Sunny season: July 4 - Oct 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidni View Post
Thanks everyone! It's all very helpful...
I've been looking at apartments to get an idea prices, sizes, etc, and I noticed that it is very gray outside in every photo. I know the NW is a rainy area, but I thought there were sunny days sometimes too?

Edit:
Now of course, 2 minutes after I typed this, I happened upon photos of homes with blue skies behind... Ha ha ha. I knew there had to be sunshine occassionally.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
I didn't like was the fact that in the summer there is not a single cloud in the sky and you can just feel the ultraviolet radiation burning into your skin every time you step out side.
HA! Yep, and even more so on the east side. My wife is from the humid south and we lived in the dry, dry desert on the east side...she used to say it felt like the sun was sitting on her shoulder without the "haze of humidity" cutting its effect.

Personally, we loved it. But, I gotta admit, there were summer days when I'd just about have killed for a gray cloudy day just to break up the string of beautiful, deep blue sky, clear sunny days.

A running joke between us was one of us would get up first, look out the window , sigh deeply and in a mournful, sad voice say "Sigh...it looks like another beautiful day."

Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:58 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Sounds like Portland or Eugene, or if you want to go really small town, Silverton.
silverton: tiny town but oh so close to PDX. waterfalls to die for in Silverton, if it's the place I've heard about. Silver Falls in Silverton??? 2005 08 - Oregon Waterfalls pictures from waterfalls photos on webshots

Welcome to Silverton Oregon - Gateway to Silver Falls State Park and the Oregon Gardens
Oregonian Article 12/19/99 (http://www.silvertonor.com/visiting/articles/eponymous.html - broken link)

Reading so much on city data makes me want to move, too. Although I have a common problem regarding that unavoidable evil: employment.

Kate

Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbrowntabby View Post
Fact: It rains in Western Oregon in the fall, winter and spring. A lot and often. Washington is set up the same way, only MORE! I have lived a long time on the wet side. I love the soft luminous light, the dampness and coolness, the constant sound of water, The dark forests. It's not for everyone. Rent for a year and see if you can stand the winter before you buy.
Sunny season: July 4 - Oct 26

and yet we complain about heat! sigh: more sun is always welcome. it's already back to socks on in the house in the morning weather.

i didn't know it was still sunny here in october, though. i thought the sun went "bye" around september.

kate in the wet state

Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
Do bring work though...There are unemployed artist types all over Portland; they're very frustrated at having to compete for minimum-wage jobs, much less artistic/creative ones. Eventually this will turn around, but forewarned is forearmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon