U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,647 times

Advertisements

I live in Colorado Springs, CO and want to move to Oregon but I'm not sure where. Portland seems nice, but it's a little too big. Eugene or Bend seem nice, but I don't know? I'd like to live in a city about the size of Eugene but would consider a smaller one depending on the job availability. I'm a widowed mother of 3 young kids and am looking for a place with good schools, a good job market, good dating accessability (I'm 33 years old) and as much outdoor recreation as possible. I love rock climbing and ice climbing, (but I hear it doesn't freeze very often, which is fine- I can find new activities). I'd like to go somewhere fun, a lot less conservative than I'm used to, and be able to get a job to support my kids and I with as cheap of rent as possible. Friendly atmosphere is a must and the lower the crime rate the better. Where do you suggest I go?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM

15,209 posts, read 38,033,273 times
None of our cities fit those criteria. Oregon is not cheap and our job market isn't good out here. We're at 11.9% unemployment right now.

Otherwise, based on some of the other things Bend would probably be the closest to what you are looking for. It has one of the worst job markets in the state though.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
h8n

64 posts, read 199,291 times
Oregon is a beautiful place. However, due the same mentality that keeps the nature so preserved also chases off business. The job market is horrible. Cost of living his high & the pay is low...... a price you pay to step outside to the beauty.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,295,308 times
If you can afford where you live now, maybe you should think about how to make it work for you there. If I were a young mother again, I wouldn't move here without resources & connections in place. If you have family where you are, that's even more reason to stay.

If you are secure there, you could visit here & think it over for a few years. Also, kids hate changing schools...

Kate

Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM

151 posts, read 218,004 times
twilight, Bend would have the recreation you're looking for. I don't know if there is much ice climbing per se but plenty of access to common winter sports. Bend's economy is is really bad shape right now. Worst in the state for a non-rural area.

The common response on this forum is to look for a job first. We're not saying that to be cruel or exclusionary, but because that's really what Oregon is like right now. Tons of bright, educated, can-do people pouring in, while the job market shrinks. That doesn't mean you shouldn't come out here, but you might want to feel out the job market first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon