Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:10 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever witnessed feral pigs here in Oregon, in the city?

My partner told me he thought he saw a pig the other early AM when he was having a smoke on the balcony. I didn't really pay much attention to what he said. At first he thought it was a possum, except it moved really super fast & erratically, zig zagging through the brush below the balcony, which made him think of a pig.

We live between Amazon & Hilyard in Eugene. We'd never expect to see a pig, although there are turkeys & deer. Our neighbors have chickens, which may be clandestine. But you can't own pigs unless you're on forest/farm land, which would be like Lorane, not... Eugene. I think.

A few days later, around 3 AM we were awoken by the most bizarre sounds outside our bedroom window, which is ground level & below where the balcony is. There were a lot of running around sounds (not too unusual because a doe & her fawns sleep out there) but then the wierdest, loudest grunts & squeals... I swear it sounded like pigs. And there was a really super LOW grunt that really made me think of a huge male pig.

It sounded like they were really running around frantically. It lasted a few minutes. We didn't have the nerve to shine a flashlight out the window or even peek.

I googled the topic & there is evidence that feral pigs are a problem in our state. I emailed the fish & wild life department to let them know. I don't know if it made a difference but I tried to let the right people know. Maybe they just went on a joy run from a farm a few miles away... I have no idea. It hasn't happened again. This was a few weeks ago.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
One time someones lost Llama came up our shale rock logging road driveway...

another time a horse...

thar hav bean goats, chickens, ducks tooo

twice snapping turtles have searched thru the forest & found my basspond...

Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
A lost peacock jumped down out of one of our trees in our driveway once, lol. That was a shocker, lol.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,382 times
Oh, I have also seen two black pigs foraging on the grass between City View and Oak Patch along the bike path. A biker told me that someone who works on the other side of the Amazon creek lets his pigs roam for a little while. I did call 911 and they said they'd check it out. Who knows what came of it. That was in the summer 2009.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Um, do you mean to say that you called 911 on a couple of harmless pigs?

When I was in Alaska for the summer I was reading the local paper; in the police report it stated that someone had called 911 because they saw a black bear by the creek.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 PM

I lost my other post..

I just heard high pitch squealing of perhaps two fighting pigs. Also heard some grunts. After I opened my window and made my whistle, they stopped and ran towards the broken fence to the Amazon creek. I saw the silhouette of about 4-5 baby pigs running. They took off towards the west along the river bank.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Yes. I called the police on loose pigs in the city.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,521 times
I don't think feral pigs would be "harmless". If you know anything about pigs you know they will attack humans and will even attack weak members of their own group if there is blood. While I would not be as afraid of a single pig as a bear, mountain lion, etc. I certainly would keep my distance and certainly report it. They have sharp teeth and are "braver" in groups. In addition, it could be a source of infection.

Cute when babies, maybe, but in Oregon they'd have a high chance of developing into a wildlife nuisance.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 AM

The 911 line is for emergencies, which was my point.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM

In other words, it better not be my 82 year old father who needs medical help while the 911 operator (we only have one in this town) is busy with a non emergency call from someone who saw an animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: