U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 13,974 times

Advertisements

Hi Kids

Is there any part of Oregon I could buy a nice size piece of heavily wooded land reasonably? I’m thinking 5 to 20 acres should do it. I’m out in Long Island N.Y. and I’d like to have a chunk of woods to get away to now and then.

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,633,789 times
New York is 54,500 sq miles. Oregon is almost 100,000 sq miles. That's a lot of territory, and we cover 6 distinctly different terrains - coastal, mild maritime Willamette Valley, high mountain Cascades, high desert, inland mountains and desert. What climate do you want? How near a large city (or the major airport, in Portland) do you need to be?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:42 PM

14,706 posts, read 35,585,955 times
And what is a reasonable price? Do you plan to build a structure because we have strict zoning laws here?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM

"Crankier than average" sounds like the right name for you {( an hr or 2 from a town or city. as mant big trees a possable and as few rules as possable.

Peace along the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
New York is 54,500 sq miles. Oregon is almost 100,000 sq miles. That's a lot of territory, and we cover 6 distinctly different terrains - coastal, mild maritime Willamette Valley, high mountain Cascades, high desert, inland mountains and desert. What climate do you want? How near a large city (or the major airport, in Portland) do you need to be?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:01 PM

As little as $500.00 per acre to no more then $2000.00 an acre, Little to no rules is where I wont to buy. Heavy woods is a must.

Peace along the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
And what is a reasonable price? Do you plan to build a structure because we have strict zoning laws here?

Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,633,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdweller View Post
"Crankier than average" sounds like the right name for you {( an hr or 2 from a town or city. as mant big trees a possable and as few rules as possable.

Peace along the way
Well, to be equally vague back: yes, such plots of land exist here. Stay off the I-5 corridor, away from the large cities (Portland, Salem, Eugene, Bend, Medford) and away from the coast proper. The farther you go from the main roads, the cheaper they get. All counties in Oregon have land use rules, especially regarding zoning, wells and septic. There are areas which are designated wildlife refuge or habitat and have building restrictions.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 PM

14,706 posts, read 35,585,955 times
So you're wanting to spend $10,000 on land with trees?

You might be able to get land for that out in Eastern Oregon, but not sure it it will have any trees on it. The timber is worth more than that so it would get harvested.

I don't think Oregon will have what you are looking for in a price you can afford with a lack of rules. Maybe Idaho or Wyoming?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,676,274 times
Quote:
Is there any part of Oregon I could buy a nice size piece of heavily wooded land reasonably? I’m thinking 5 to 20 acres should do it.
Reasonably? In short, no.

Quote:
...$500.00 per acre to no more then $2000.00 an acre, Little to no rules is where I wont to buy. Heavy woods is a must.
Given your criteria, that's not going to happen in Oregon or Washington. You want prime property. And if by some miracle it would be possible, you'd be standing at the end of a very long line to get your hands on it.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM

Hmm, Thats to bad, I'd love to head out there some day

Peace along the way

Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,593,357 times
You are dreaming, there is no way you're going to get heavily wooded land for that low a price, especially in Oregon. You can't even do that in my state anymore and we aren't even all that Califoregonated yet. Another thing is that the wild west isn't all that wild anymore, we have lots and lots of rules in the western states just as in the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon