U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,262 times

Advertisements

Hi all...

I'm gathering relocation info for the Salem and surrounding areas of Oregon. We are a family of three plus two dogs who are looking for a cost effective, family friendly, less busy, more space (no habitrail 1/10 acre communities... not that there's anything wrong with that! that's how we live now) place to relocate our family.

We currently live in Connecticut though I grew up in NY. We're kind of done with the East coast for now and are looking to embrace a positive change. I know it's a big change, but we've been doing our homework for a while now and Oregon is in our top 3.

Our child is currently in 5th grade so school system and safe location is important.

Thanks all....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:26 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,291,583 times
this is the most common theme i've come across - relocation & meeting family needs. you can use the search box for the term: schools - to get the posts already volunteered for oregon. it'll be a nice read! there are some very useful links.

Corvallis, Albany, Pleasant Hill, Junction city: my personal recommendations for relocation. most of the upper class use private schooling after elementary, according to my observation, in the Eugene area (PH, JC).

Public schools, as any public service in Oregon, are not faring well these days... It may get worse before it's better... Don't be surprised that the children in Eugene aren't your competitive Macy's shoppers... or preppy skater/surfer types.

Eugene is very nice - I live here. But if I had my move to do over, I'd consider the above list. PH & JC are just outside Eugene, so those would be my top choices. Based on reading posts at city-data, I'd also consider the other two cities.

In Eugene, the women tend to be less self conscious & relaxed. More gray hair & less makeup. The men & boys are friendly & make eye contact; friendly chit-chat is the norm. People smile when they're behind the wheel!

If I could go back to CA, I'd consider Arcata, but only Arcata cuz it's laid back, on the coast & I hear the RE isn't too high priced for CA.

Corvallis has their University. Albany is probably more affordable & nearby. You have all the amenities in those towns, I hear. Salem, the capital, is nearby.

Eugene has the U of O. It's a small college town with some nice amenities but not enough if you really want BIG city pampering.

PH & JC have acreage lots - my favorite reconsideration since visiting the boards here online... Wish I'd chosen to move there initially....

Lorane (country lots also) is just outside Eugene too but the roads are more windy/hilly which is tuff when it snows.

We don't get snow like other parts of the country. We get "ridiculous" icy snow for about 2 or so months out of the year. Snow treated with sand. With drivers who don't know how to drive in it. I hate it when it snows! I always get lost cuz everything looks different & ... the other drivers intimidate me in snowy weather. I can't concentrate on where I'm going when it all looks like a white blanket...

I didn't mind it all when I lived in snowy coer d'alene. Somehow that snow was easier to drive on & it was there a majority of the year it seemed... Salt on the roads & knowledgeable drivers...

Eugene, I know of first hand: lots of bike/jogging paths. Nice culture & mix of people. Trees, trees, trees. POLLEN - oops that's a downside...Herons. Deer. Turkey. Owls, of course. There are downsides but those are offset by the plusses.

Downsides here: POLLEN. Homelessness, street beggars, quite a toothless population, some crime & drug issues; Springfield bus lines suck because the ridership is kinda insane.

The hippies have a bad rep - you get quite a look if you use the word... "hippie"... I just avoid the topic. I don't have a problem with them but nearly everyone I"ve met has given me that look.

Oh yeah: the universal disappointment in general for OR except mmmmaybe southern OR: LOW UV. If you move here you may need to have your vitamin D levels checked. My doctor checked & put me on a prescription... Inspite of the low sun... I still adore it here.

Plusses: rainbows, valley clouds with blue skies, tasty water from the McKenzie, great fishing at the McKenzie!, lakes, creeks, ferns, rivers, birds, people, culture, people who hold hands walking down the street, smiling drivers.

Maybe those plusses are universal in Oregon. I wouldn't doubt it. I love it here.

And please correct me if I'm wrong: I'm not a native Oregonian. I love all the stuff I've been learning on city-data! I don't really know anything at all about southern OR but there's tons here on city-data posted in other relocation query threads.

Ciao, Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-24-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: semi colons

Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM

739 posts, read 1,769,275 times
Have you looked into Ashland? I am also an ex-Nutmegger who grew up in NY (Eastchester). There are some nice towns in this state but if you have a fifth-grader, you won't like the schools in very many of them. Ashland has decent schools. That's it; decent. The town itself is very nice in an old-town America kind of way. We are very happy here. Our high-schooler goes to private school in Medford and she's happy as a clam. I'd look real hard at places like Salem, Eugene and Corvallis before taking the plunge to live there.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info, it's good to get opinions from those who actually live in the places we're looking at. I'll look into Ashland, thank you!

I grew up in Valhalla by the way... not too far from Eastchester! Still have lots of family in the area.

Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 PM

739 posts, read 1,769,275 times
Valhalla, huh? I went to Pace in P-ville. Small world! Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 AM

My sister went to Pace for nursing school. Thank you for the info!! My search goes on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon