U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:37 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,774,995 times

Advertisements

What is it like living in eastern Oregon?
Also, how much do apartments and housing go out there?
And what are the best small towns in eastern Oregon? Towns that have like less then 5000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,675,348 times
Depends upon where you are. You can get as isolated as most any human would want. We lived in NE Oregon during the '90s and there was a "news" story on network tv about the smallest towns in America...two they mentioned were in EO--one of them being Monument...not far from us.
That's another thing...you need to be prepared to drive. Often a long ways. We knew people who wouldn't think a thing about a 2 hour drive to go get a beer and we found ourselves being like that after a while. The driving wasn't tough, just long. (We'd drive to play cards a lot of Friday nights at a friends house about 1 hour 45 minutes away, and usually leave around midnight or 1. Frequently on the drive home, we'd pass zero, that's right, zero cars...if we saw other cars it was usually just a couple.)
Be ready to not have things a lot of folks take for granted...garbage pickup, roads getting snowplowed (unless a local rancher does it) choice when it come to shopping, or heck, in some cases, shopping period.
Housing in some towns can be very tight with very little available. Some places just don't have much available housing. Prices typically are cheaper than on the west side of the state, although a couple of the towns in EO (liike Hermiston) have gone through some "booms" and housing was steep until supply caught up with demand.
Some towns are very poor--rural poverty is more widespread than many people think and it is much more hidden than in a lot of cities. We thought the Appalachians didn't have anything on some areas we saw.

However, you can find towns with housing and services available, but there aren't any places in EO that are going to have all the services, amenities , "culture" , etc., that you'd find in a more heavily populated area.

But, we loved it. We loved the space, the empty, the scenery, the variety of countryside, the weather, the unpretentiousness of the people and made some life-long friends.

You can get as rural as you want or find a small college town in EO that IMO, is a really nice balance between big cities and nowhere...

Best small towns? You might need to be a little more specific about what you're looking for.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:49 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,774,995 times
Ya, my grandma lived in a town in southwest minnesota that didn't even have 300 people and she had to drive like a half hour to get gas.
I'm 17 and going to be a Junior in high school, and ya I always wanted to just live out in the middle of nowhere like that where stuff is 2 hours away, but in reality I don't know if I would like it, maybe at first but after a long time it could get old, maybe...
I do love driving, especially through rural areas, and I love the thought for driving 2 hours in the middle of the night and not passing ONE car, I wonder if it would be easy to speed and stuff? I do a lot of internet shopping so as long as I could shop online I really wouldn't need any stores or anything, except a basic grocery store or something like that. I do enjoy where I live now (St. Cloud, MN) there was a gas station right across the street from my apartment, but it closed 2 days ago, but I could walk there and buy an energy drink or a coffee or a candy bar. I could do without something like that because you can order that stuff in bulk online, and it IS cheaper buying it in bulk.
As long as I had internet, id be fine.

Best small town? Well my grandma's town had 2 churches, a building that used to be a hardware store, a bank, and a nice restaurant/bar place. Something like a bar would be nice, but...

And you said you lived in eastern oregon in the 90s, obviously gas was much cheaper then, driving an hour or a few hours for something, it would cost a lot of money to pay for the gas...

Also one more thought I have, what do people do for jobs? Do they drive several hours to work everyday? Well, my dad drives about an hour to work and I know several people who drive atleast an hour maybe 2 to the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro to work. So maybe it wouldn't be that bad...

Another thing that I have been thinking about,
what kind of jobs are out there?

It is hard to find anything for housin out there online, Craigslist only has a very few listings for eastern ORegon, and you can't really go to an apartment site (forrent.com apartmentfinder.com apartments.com) and find apartments in the middle of nowhere, or if apartments in the middle of nowhere exist...

Obviously, you won't find stuff with amenities and culture like you would in a giant city.

Years ago before my grandpa died, we had to drive a couple hours to my grandmas house, and the nursing home were my grandpa was a few hours away, and we would pickup our grandma and drive there. My grandma loved riding in a car if she wasn't driving, because she lives by herself and she always has to drive, and she just thought it was the coolest thing, and would enjoy riding in a car all day staring at the corn fields and wind mills in southwest minnesota... as long as she wasn't driving, lol
I would enjoy that even if I was driving, but like I said, it may get old after a long time.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,966 times
are there any Sams Clubs? :}

Old 07-13-2016, 09:29 AM

7,785 posts, read 17,692,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen Barber View Post
Not anywhere in Oregon. Costco instead.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,204,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Not anywhere in Oregon. Costco instead.
There's a Costco in Bend, but none in Eastern Oregon. If you want to pay sales tax, there is one in Boise. The one in Coeur D'Alene would be quite a drive from anywhere in Eastern Oregon. Bend would probably be closer. However, UPS delivers everywhere.

I have heard of Sam's Club, but have never seen one. I thought it was a Walmart thing. There are Walmarts in Ontario, Hermiston and Pendleton.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:28 PM

30 posts, read 44,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen Barber View Post

Kennewick, Washington has a Costco. Depending upon where you are in Eastern Oregon it's not too far. 30 minutes from the Hermiston area or an hour from the Pendleton area.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,204,347 times
This thread has nothing to do with the question in the header. Living in Eastern Oregon means the Wallowas, Oregon's Alps, a beautiful mountain range. It means Steens Mountain and herds of pronghorns. It means fishing the Snake and the Grande Ronde, hunting for mule deer and Rocky Mountain elk. It means stepping outside your door and hearing nothing but the wind and seeing a hawk on the wing. It means seeing the stars at night, and comets stretching across a third of the sky. It means shopping at the farm store because that is the biggest store in town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tADS...paVq3U1Q7Y-phC

Old 07-16-2016, 12:17 AM

4,713 posts, read 6,428,041 times
Sam's Club is Wal-Mart's attempt to copy Costco. Sam's Clubs are basically carbon copies of Costco in terms of warehouse layout with the food on one side and the household goods on the other with rotating seasonal stuff in the middle and the same hot dog and pizza slices available at the food counter. Even the same color schemes. But in the end the Sam's Clubs are really a pale imitation of Costco when it comes to all the Kirkland Signature house brand stuff that Costco does so well. Sam's Clubs have the same house brand thing going on that they call Members Mark but it is generally nowhere as good as Kirkland Signature. They look very much like a Costco at first glance but after shopping at one for a while you realize that it is just a poor copy of Costco.

They are mostly in the south I think. When we lived in Texas there were both around and there was never any reason to go to Sam's if you had a Costco nearby.

The Pacific Northwest is Costco and Fred Meyer country. There are Wal-Marts trickling in to compete with Fred Meyer but to my knowledge there are no Sam's Clubs even attempting to compete with Costco anywhere in the Northwest or perhaps anywhere on the west coast.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:44 AM

7,785 posts, read 17,692,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The Pacific Northwest is Costco and Fred Meyer country. There are Wal-Marts trickling in to compete with Fred Meyer but to my knowledge there are no Sam's Clubs even attempting to compete with Costco anywhere in the Northwest or perhaps anywhere on the west coast.
For whatever reason, there are none in Oregon but there are Sam's Clubs in Washington, California, Nevada, Idaho, Utah. Costco is pretty well established in the larger cities. WalMart was also very slow to spread into Oregon, compared to surrounding states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon