U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 PM

8 posts, read 26,134 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations for my retired parents. They were born and raised and lived their lives in New Hampshire and have now both retired. I am living in Los Angeles and they would like to be closer to me but won't even consider living in California. Oregon seems like a good compromise. They are in their late 60s/early 70s and fairly comfortable financially. They would prefer a more rural type of setting but would need to be fairly close (like no more than an hour drive) from good medical care. They would like a mild climate and I would like it to be reasonably accessible from an airport so I could get there without too much difficulty.

My husband is from Western Washington and I've lived on the west coast for the past 13 years but I know next to nothing about Oregon so I'm looking for a little anecdotal information.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM

899 posts, read 2,693,021 times
Here is my 2 cents worth on retirement in oregon
We landed in Salem 6 years ago in a motorhome from Cal and all points in between..We found an active senior community, meaning senior center and lots of volunteer activities, nice people, close to good medical, about an hour from PDX and the climate is comfortable..There are some nice 55 plus manufactured home parks here too..One of my neighbors rides amtrack to california and its a good 2 day drive to La from here.
They should come out and look around..I think Silverfalls will be on line soon and tell you much the same thing
Good luck with this big move.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:17 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,077,130 times
Here are the search results for this site, with the terms: retire oregon .
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=15329892
And: retirement oregon - //www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=15329906

Personally, I think 30-45 minutes is an optimal minimum for proximity to medical care.

Best wishes, Kate

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 AM

14,713 posts, read 35,591,413 times
The Salem metro area is surrounded by smaller towns. Not sure what they mean by "more rural." We have small towns from 800 to $15,000. Salem and Keizer also have rural properties on the outskirts.

Silverton is a great small town that has a wonderful hospital. Salem Hospital is also really good. They have been going through a huge expansion and the new facilities are well done.

The criteria are kind of vague. There are small towns outside of Portland too such as Forest Grove or Banks that also might work. Oregon has urban growth boundaries so our cities are compact and rural areas are easily accessed. The question remains in the definition of rural and quite frankly, what they can afford. Oregon is not cheap...cheaper than CA though.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM

7,697 posts, read 13,599,782 times
It seems the majority of retirees head to Southern Oregon and the Bend area for retirement. There are numerous rural areas, somewhat expensive but they are there. I would look up on the Net Retiring in Oregon, it will give you areas in the Grants Pass and Medford/ Ashland area of So Oregon. Also of course the Bend area. I know a number of Calif retirees have headed to those regions of the state. Another area is the coastal communities of Oregon that is popular with retirees.

I did want to say this though, as I am from New England myself and tried retiring here. Oregon is a beautiful state, I can't stress that enough. For me I am much to much a New Englander, and found I could not adjust to this region and it cultures. That is something one has to consider moving far away from familiarity after ones entire life in a place. New England has a very homey feel to it. It does't really have a transient come and go type population. I miss long term neighbors. I live in Portland though, and your parents experience most likely would be different living in a more rural setting.

I just think its easier to adjust when making a cross country move if family is nearby. You will be in So. Calif and they will be way up here. From LA you could fly into Medford, Eugene, Redmond and the most flights of course Portland. So I imagine it could work, but again it depends how your parents could adjust to Oregon at this stage of their life. It would really be nice if they would live closer to you in Calif, but I can understand their not wanting that state. To bad you couldn't interest them in the San Diego area, but from what I hear many are priced out there.

Definitely make some trips up here with your folks and maybe it will be the perfect place for them.
Again look at the places I mentioned on the Net. There is tons of info on communities where retirees head to in Oregon. I know the Ashland area has had several articles written on it. Publications such as "Places to Retire" and AARP.

Best of Luck.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 26,134 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I have done some Google research but I'm looking for more personal experience...what it's "like" for lack of a better term. The Oregon idea came from my parents a couple of years ago before my mother actually retired. After they had the idea they came out here and we spent several days in Oregon. Keep in mind they have an east coast sense of scale and it didn't really sink in that you can't just look around the state of Oregon in a few days. We were mostly on the coast and they were pleased with the limited experience they had. Next time they come out I want to have some specific communities to check out and I want them to come during the winter months so they know what they are really in for. I lived in Seattle for several years but they are thinking no snow = good.

The move isn't going to happen right away as there is no sense in putting their house on the market in this economy but they are going to have to make some kind of change within the next few years. I'm concerned about their ability to adjust as well. As a native New Englander I haven't fully adapted in 13 years but I'm all the family they have and Oregon means we can see each other more frequently, like once a month or every other month instead of once a year, twice if we're lucky. Fortunately, I'm in a position to be able to fly up there whenever.

They live in a 200 year old farmhouse in a small town of about 3500 people. The town is within 45 minutes of the largest cities in NH and about an hour and a half away from Boston. They are used to a town that is small enough to feel a sense of community but isn't the suburbs and they aren't used to rural in the genuinely rural sense.

The Keizer area is under strong consideration. I've found some nice one level houses in their price range which would be perfect. Thanks for the Silverton recommendation, that looks like a good possibility. I hadn't even considered Bend but we'll definitely look into it. I'm also wondering about the Medford area.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM

14,713 posts, read 35,591,413 times
Keizer is nice, but it is suburbia. It will be nothing like the small town feel they are used to. It is a town of 35,000 people.

If they are used to that small of a town, I would look at Dallas, maybe Monmouth-Independence, and Silverton when they come to visit. I think the transition would be easier.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:17 PM

10,665 posts, read 18,057,152 times
My husband and I are their age, Portland natives, and have our home on the market in hope of returning to be nearer family. Although this is an Oregon forum you might want to add current town, Bainbridge Island, WA to the list of communities to consider - a ferry ride to Seattle and a town smaller than their current home. Snow happens, but it is rare.

That said there are many options in Oregon. Medford is a mecca for CA retirees, there is a Veteran's Hospital there too if that is a consideration. Although they are a little young at the moment they should look at certified continuing care retirement communities as an option. There is at least one in Medford and three in Portland (as well as Eugene and Albany). They would likely be a good fit for Willamette View if it suits their budget. Another to consider is the Mennonite cc community in Albany, a very cozy feel to it.

We are 'city' people and have family in Portland so living in a core area condo suits us fine.

One type a living that might work for them is co-housing.

The issue for people who are making a cross country move is building a network of friends. Transportation becomes a bigger and bigger issue as we age.

Best of luck finding a place that will work for you and your parents.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM

50 posts, read 128,364 times
My father is retired and looked around a little when he visited me in Oregon and said the 9% state income tax makes Oregon a horrible state for a retired person to live. He said there are no income tax states that are much better for a person living on a fixed income. The retired people in the area seem to be those with roots there, or those who don't mind paying a premium to live in the area. Perhaps they should just stay put, I've known several friends whose parents retired to the Southwest or Florida only to return homesick a few years later.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,023,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
My father is retired and looked around a little when he visited me in Oregon and said the 9% state income tax makes Oregon a horrible state for a retired person to live. He said there are no income tax states that are much better for a person living on a fixed income.
I think that's an overly simplistic and somewhat naive analysis. Oregon has 3 income tax brackets: 5%, 7% and 9%. More importantly, though, what you pay in income tax depends on your deductions. You can deduct, for example, part or all of the federal income tax you paid which can bring your actual Oregon income tax down quite a bit. Add in modest property taxes and 0% sales tax and your aggregate tax burden in Oregon is just below average for the U.S.

If tax-scrimping were your only criterion for where to retire, then I suppose there are cheaper places. But you'd end up somewhere in climatic hell of the Midwest or the cultural desert of the South. Oregon is a good compromise between tax burden and superior livability...at least the thousands of retirees flooding southern Oregon seem to think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon