Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookmommy View Post
I moved to Brookings, OR my freshman year of high school from Crescent City, CA ( and previously southern california). My father worked at Pelican Bay. ( I have moved away east since)

I must say that I really didn't like going to school there. Some teachers were excellent, others really just don't care. It was very small and I remember wishing I could be somewhere better. Drugs were constantly in my face from my peers, though, it might just be like that everywhere.

The town is indeed a retirement town. I never felt there was much to do for a kid. Never heard of any really cool activities. It is really very beautiful and peaceful, but I agree not the greatest for kids. It was too far from any larger towns ( closest large-ish town is Eureka, CA, 2 hours away). There is a one screen theater, and pretty much only one place to shop ( Fred Meyer, it's nice though), There is one nice park, but that's pretty much it. There is also NO hospital! You have to drive a half hour wither way to get to one. It is way too isolated.

I will say that is is indeed beautiful, and the people were very nice. There are a lot of nature type activities to enjoy.

I mentioned this in another thread, but a similar town to Brookings but one I feel is better is Florence, OR. It is 3 hours north on the coast, a similar size, but not so much a retirement town. It has the same gorgeous scenery as Brookings but with even more. Sand dunes, multiple small lakes, more parks, a GORGEOUS bridge and down-town area. There seemed to be more shopping options. Eugene is a pretty 45 minute drive away. I cannot say about the schools and activities however, as I have not lived there.

Hope you enjoy your visit! Let us know what you think!
What brought you all the way out to Salina, KS? I have relatives out in that general area, but I could never see myself living out on the Plains again. I did that for way to many years before finally moving closer to the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 PM

33 posts, read 88,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What brought you all the way out to Salina, KS? I have relatives out in that general area, but I could never see myself living out on the Plains again. I did that for way to many years before finally moving closer to the coast.

Hi! I moved here to Salina to be with my husband (met online when I lived in Oregon and him in Kansas!) and to live somewhere a little cheaper to get on my feet. It's pretty nice here, the people are nice and the seasons are more pronounced ( which I love) but it is....so FLAT!

We are actually a couple weeks away from making the jump to the East Coast!! It's been a toss up between NH and Maine, both are so wonderful, and I see you're from NH, how do you like it? Were you happy with your move from the plains to the East Coast? And where does your family live here in Kansas?

Sorry.... didn't mean to hijack the thread!! Did you ever make a decision about Brookings?

Old 01-17-2010, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 10,036 times
Default nearby crescent city california there is a private school

Brookinsg is great with awesome playground and shopping and beaches
what more could you want?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,106 times
Default Just a thought...

I just read your post and some of the replies...wow! Makes it sound like Brookings is not a great place to raise kids. Here are my thoughts for you...I have lived here for 25 years. We moved here when I was 11 from another Oregon town just 1 1/2 hours away. I have lived here as a child and now we raise our two children here. If a person is looking for a beautiful place to raise children...this is your place. If you are looking for a place to be one of those parents who just entertains their children....go to the city We homeschool and after lessons yesterday we drove down the road 30 minutes, went to the small aquarium and then over to the beach to look for agates (found a ton) and walked around the lighthouse. We frequently go to the local dairy to see baby cows being born and pick up tasty eggs. We visit another dairy to grab up some wonderful fresh milk and spend a lot of time enjoying the outdoors...our climate is mild. We might get a week of rain and then it turns around and is gorgeous. One thing about this area is the weather is ever so unpredictable! It is nice that way...it doesn't get boring ever, to me. Each of my daughters and I frequently have times where we spend time visiting, walking and talking on the beach...sometimes we take our school work there. My husband and the girls and I spend time fishing our local rivers. Jobs here can be found if you look hard enough. There is minimum wage (second income jobs) everywhere and the good ones are few and far between, but they are there. There is a state prison just over the border where many people work...good pay. There are hospitals 30 miles in each direction for healthcare type jobs. A person can definitely live here happily. Many people nowadays just feel the need to find their happiness in money, material things and constant activity....I find it in my relationship with the Lord and the beautiful things around me that He provided!! You should check Brookings out!!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
I wouldn't. Once while steelheading on the Chetco, we stopped by a bonfire that local high schoolers had going on a bar. We all talked for a couple of hours. We were surprised by the real lack of perspective the kids had. They were very nice kids; I don't mean they weren't bright, but the highest aspiration any of them had was to work at Pelican Bay and make overtime.

Another issue is property taxes. Thanks to Federal timber money - which may or may not continue - property taxes are much lower than they are in Portland. If the timber money stops, tax increases will be required - and in Southern Oregon, likely won't pass. So if it were me, I'd say that I would stick to the city or at least a college town. Again, no insult intended - Brookings is a wonderful small town for fisherfolk.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,454 times
Default relocating

hi, I am a mother of 2 grown kids with kids and 2 teenagers. we are originally from Texas now living in small retirement community in Oklahoma on lake texoma. my husband and I are disabled and my 23 yr old was in a near fatal accident he is now paralyzed. there is several reasons we want to move. 1 it is too hot, hardly snows. I love the rain, and the the ocean. there is drugs everywhere you live. Dr's are not good here. I'm tired of the prescriptions they give they do not work. we are looking for medical marijuana state that is legal. it really does help. now for the other drugs out there they need to get off the streets. anyways we lived here most of our lives and we need a change. I have seen pic it is very pretty in Oregon and Washington. now on housing prices what town has the cheapest? and what town is best for the kids? where is the most sea animals at? hows the fishing? I thought about Seattle but not to sure now plus it's not the coast. is there sea life there too in the bays? we do not like to live around a bunch of people we are a quiet stay to ourselves family. when I move my kids will follow we stay together we are all we got each other. my husband suggested new Mexico I say no no but yeck no. Colorado eh maybe but i want to watch the dolphins and whales . plus I have never been in that direction before. the gulf in TX stinks has for a long time now with the oil spills it is worse. so somebody help me pick a town not to many people, cheap property taxes, good dr.'s, my teens are 14 and 16 need to finish school and get a good and go to collage. and stay out of trouble. 3bdrm, fireplace, fence yard. how is the gardening there? things grow good soil? is there earth quacks tornadoes hurricanes? does it rain alot? where is the best mall for my 16 yr old? and the best activities for my 14 yr old? OK I guess I ran out of ?'s for now thanks for your help and keep the prayers coming for my 23 yr old son to walk again and god bless have a good week xxoo Debbie

Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,548 times
I have to disagree with some of the above.
I grew up on the coast my whole life and I love it there. There are a lot of things for kids to do, unlike the city where people go the mall for fun, we have the beach, the beautiful Chetco river, the port (that does weekly farmers markets and festivals throughout the year, including the new Pirate Festival), it also has an ice cream parlor. There is also a performing arts theater called the Chetco Pelican Players that offers some great opportunities for kids to get involved, whether they are acting or helping off stage. A very well known librarian, Dory, is the theater director and she is very nice and really involved with the kids. During the school year she does weekly activities and this summer she is putting on an age 13-18 once a week get together for teens. She usually has things going on for kids outside of these structured events also. We also have Azalea park, which is a really great place for kids to play, ride bikes, and meet new friends, and we have a skate park and 4 baseball fields and soccer fields, and during the past two summers the Manly Art Center has put on an art camp for kids.
For schools, I jumped around a lot, which gave me a taste of what different schools were like. I did my 1st grade year at the public school (Kalmiopsis) and I loved my teacher. I also homeschooled where we were a part of a local homeschool group, and after some other schools, ended up in the Brookings Harbor Christian school, which is a small private school, for my 7th and 8th grade years. The curriculum here is more challenging than the public schools, which can be a really good things because it challenges their students to be better. I had some really good experiences there and met my 2 closest friends. I then went to the public High School for my last 4 years. I have a high level of respect for our high school, not as much for the teaching aspect of it, because honestly I feel like they are in need of some good teachers, but for how well the students treat each other. Sure there were the "cliques" but they weren't as stand-off-ish as other schools, we all treated each other pretty well though. The school also makes an effort to make new students feel welcome, through a new positive behavior system (PBS) they started, and which I was a part of. I got along with almost all of my teachers, and had a lot of opportunities to get involved and take various elective classes. (even earned some high school college credit through Southwestern Oregon Community College).
Even though Brookings-Harbor is fairly small (it has gotten a lot bigger over the years), I feel like if you have a strong supportive family it is a great place to live. Drugs can be an issue, but if your children are aware of them (as I have had drug addicts living next door my whole life), then they know what to do and what not to do.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,173 times
Having grown up here in Brookings, and returned to raise our 6 children here, I will say that almost everything everyone said on this thread is true - good and bad. We love that there isn't a lot of 'big city' influence. Kids can roam downtown, ride their bikes to the beach and explore, and walk to/from school without worry. Schools are underfunded, but the faculty is great, and is closely linked with the newly built community college campus for college and Advanced Placement classes for college credit.

There is huge community support for sports, including competitive traveling teams for soccer, baseball/softball, golf and basketball. There is an active 4-H group including archery and surfing as well as more 'rural' pursuits such as animals, etc. Amazing library, art galleries and community theater opportunities, as well as lots of community activities (bands, art classes, scouts, etc.). For fun, we have lots of community events, such as art, chocolate, kite and pirate festivals, concerts in the park, monthly 'art walks', an amazing golf course, an annual parade on Memorial Day weekend, a July 4th fireworks show, and lots more. There is an outdoor summertime swimming pool, along with an indoor salt-water pool with swim team 30 minutes away.

Warm, temperate weather year-round, no real cold, but the winter months can be grey and rainy for a while (makes it nice and green, and only visitors use umbrellas - the rain is that easy, a lot like parts of the Willamette Valley). The real estate 'bubble' has burst which means houses are a bit more affordable now (family homes from $175-$350K), and drugs don't seem to be a huge problem. No metal detectors in the schools, and lots of parent involvement for field trips, sports and more.

Smaller towns will always come up short on shopping, restaurants, 'events' and specific opportunities, such as; individual lessons for music and sports aren't guaranteed (and less sports all together - no water polo or lacrosse, for example), less selection for teams and groups, one school district (plus a christian school), etc. BUT: less competition for sports and scholarships; no traffic - which means quick errands, shopping and commute times; low crime and no gangs; more outdoor sports and activities such as surfing, hiking and kayaking; more 'kid freedom' since there is less danger and city life to deal with; you know your kids friends and classmates (as well as their parents, most likely).

I know this thread is OLD, hopefully you've already moved (or not) by now, but in case anyone else was thinking of making the move - if you aren't committed to city life, and looking for a rural town, you couldn't do better.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,175 times
Default Housing?

We have been considering a move to Brookings . . . is there available housing that is not overly-expensive? It seems that there are a lot of waiting lists for apartments; how difficult is it to find rentals for a family of five?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners View Post
We have been considering a move to Brookings . . . is there available housing that is not overly-expensive? It seems that there are a lot of waiting lists for apartments; how difficult is it to find rentals for a family of five?

Brookings is a popular area. Rentals are scarce and jobs even scarcer. If you don't have a job lined up, there is no reason to ask about rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon