U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Expect to pay about $120,000 upfront for utilities and roads, driveways, surveys, and permits. That does not gurantee you will be allowed to live in that subdiivision by the county.
$120,000 for power, water, surveys and permits? dirt roads are fine; no driveway needed. my guess is no more than $5,000 for power and not sure about well and septic. anyone shed any light?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,690 times
don't need road or driveway--dirt road is fine. i'm really more concerned with costs for water/septic, power, survey and permits. can anyone shed some light? or estimates they've gotten? i will check with power company and look for estimate for septic per pnw type gal and see where i'm at. thx

Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude0072 View Post
$120,000 for power, water, surveys and permits? dirt roads are fine; no driveway needed. my guess is no more than $5,000 for power and not sure about well and septic. anyone shed any light?
The nearest power is at the ranch at the beginning of Oregon Pines Rd, about 7 miles away from the subdivision. The grey boxes are telephone, there is limited land line service (POTS line, no DSL internet), definitely no grid electrical power. So you can expect way more than $5,000, way more than $120,000 if you plan on paying Pacific Power to run miles and miles of new infrastructure just for you. You will need to live without power or setup an off grid system. Be prepared to spend thousands on fuel, hauling in gasoline and propane if you want a generator and for cooking. Or you can cook over a fire. Woodstove heat is the most practical, but you have to be prepared to cut and haul several cords to get you through the winter.

Wells can be tens of thousands depending on the depth and material. You will then need a holding tank and some method of pumping without grid power. And you have to have a way to keep it from freezing in the winter.

Septic you may or may not get approval depending on soil type and depth. Many areas the soils are too shallow before hitting rock. Without approval, you wont be allowed to build. You could always use this method:
Why & How to Bury? - A.R.S.E. - Bury Your Crap!

The winters are bitter cold with a relentless, whipping wind in the tablelands. The county does no road maintenance whatsoever, what is done is done by those who live there if they want to get out. Heavy snow storms can trap you at your property for weeks on end with vehicle traffic impossible, so you better have enough food and gas to survive. So you may need to count in costs for a plow, even then they can only push so much snow. A snow machine is a good option. In the spring the roads get slick and muddy and rutted so you also count on owning a 4x4 with some good mud tires, and or tire chains.

The general theme of this discussion thread is inexperienced urban folks buying land unseen on the cheap and getting the idea that they are gonna move here and live like they did in the city, just cheaper and prettier and quieter. You have to realize that if you are serious about moving out here, you are not going to get the comforts of wherever you came from, and you are going to have to do things in an "nontraditional" manner compared to what you are used to. You have to conform to the area, not it to you. Leave your urban ways where they belong, or keep them and stay there.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,451,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude0072 View Post

$120,000 is accurate in most of the area, but it doesn't get cheaper. It only goes up, and the $5,000 will maybe take care of permits and lawyers to get the right to live on your land, depending on it's exact location.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
I am planning on developing a lot in the Oregon Pines subdivision I purchased about a year ago. I know this will be lots of work and a long term process, but it is mine and my brothers dream to have a nice cabin and about an acre of irrigated land for a small sustenance farm. We have a 1.56 acre lot where Terrill Dr and Kleinrock Rd. I have spent a lot of time recently researching and planning trying to get a feel for the cost and time for this dream of ours. Below are my estimates so far, and I was hoping anyone who lives there might give me some feedback or info on if my estimates are reasonable. Thanks in advance for any help.

First things first seems like I need a septic tank installed. From what I have researched I am planning on somewhere between $5000 and $10000 total cost for this. Sound about what you who live there paid?

For water I am planning on a large holding tank until I have the money to dig a deep well. I am planning on a 1500 gallon tank while I build and get the septic installed. I spoke to a few of the well diggers out there, and I am planning on $10000 on the low end and about $15000 max. I know it could be more than this, but that seems less than likely from what they told me. Hoping to get a well installed that will be able to irrigate an acre of land for our little farm.

For power I am planning an off grid, fully self sustained solar system. I know this will be expensive, but I believe it will be worth it. During the initial phase, this next year, I am planning on installing a 6250 watt system. Looks like this will be between $10-12k for the whole system, including batteries, panels, controllers, inverters, etc. Later on, during the time that the well is being dug, we plan on upgrading this to at least a 20,000 watt system, one with enough power to supply all our energy needs plus run the pump for the well. This will be costly, about another $15k on top of the $10k for the initial setup.

During the time that we are making the money for these things and getting them done, we plan on living there periodically for a few days or wekks, maybe even a month here or there, in a small structure. Probably a yurt or a tp, but would love to build our own small cabin from the trees on the lot. Overall, I am estimating about $25000 to $40000 for the total cost for power from solar, water from a well, and a septic tank. Does this estimate fall in line with your guys experience? After that, we are wanting to build a nice cabin and are planning on another $40k +- for a nice big kit. ANY and ALL opinions and experience from the area would be welcomed! I have read the entire thread and honestly $120k just seems way too high a number to develop up there. We hope its way less than that because we want to make our dream of self sustainable living off the grid a reality sooner rather than later. Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2014, 04:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,704 times
Wow I just looked at Kleinrock Rd on the map and that is really remote. I admire the Cook Bros for wanting to run an off-the-grid farm, but seems like there should be easier places to do it?? I lived in a rough part of Nevada (rural Nye County) for four years "semi" off the grid with well and septic but had local power... In the end I just got fed up with the place as the local government was so corrupt and there were plenty of crazy people there. I did not mind the preppers so much in NV as I have prepper ideas myself, but I am getting on in years now at 62 and was looking for an easier life than that. So we found Oakland Oregon, which is a small semi-rural village about twelve miles from Roseburg on Old 99. People are very friendly here and its is small town living - a village really - but we love it here. Having said that, the Umpqua basin area does cost a few quid to buy property in, but we feel that keeps tweekers out and the bad element away. It's like stepping back in time here to perhaps the 1950's, very quiet and no problems. Old fashioned village life with a close community and zero hassles. If you have a little more dosh to invest I'd highly recommend the Umpqua area and perhaps stay away from Oregon Pines, just my opinion.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,057 times
Default beatty fire

did oregon pines, ferguson mtn pines burn out? If so...does anyone know about s packsaddle circle?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn rowe View Post
did oregon pines, ferguson mtn pines burn out? If so...does anyone know about s packsaddle circle?

No, the Moccasin Hill Fire started in the Klamath Forest Estates off of Sprague River Drive and burned to the NE but stopped before Oregon Pines. Packsaddle Cir. is miles away. You can view a map of the burn here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_07_19-14.50.06.059-CDT.jpg
Views:	2004
Size:	894.3 KB
ID:	136928

Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 PM

218 posts, read 140,208 times
Good luck. They call it Table Land. I know the area well lived near by for 44 years on Bly Mtn. It's rough country and kind of outlaw, you better own a gun to protect what you have. Hard winters, no power, no water, could be some meth labs and growers? If that concerns you. Others gave you a pretty good run down of the place. This ain't a good place for a city boy to meet the woods.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,285 times
Default The reason you DON'T want anything to do with Oregon Pines

Recently my 20 year old daughter and I decided to take a 2 day camping trip and head south from Eugene Oregon in Lane County, to Klamath County, about 185 miles each way. We decided we wanted to view some properties for sale in the Oregon Pines Subdivision, located NE of the small town of Sprague River, OR. I had noticed that there were some very cheap lots of land listed in this area, pretty much the cheapest land for sale in the whole of Klamath County if not the state, and I guess curiosity got the better of me. I decided to find out why the land was priced as it was (anywhere from $600 - $900 per acre for the cheapest of the cheap), and loaded the pick up and we headed out. The specific properties that I was interested in seeing can be viewed at:

https://www.landwatch.com/Klamath-Co...e/pid/25073315.

We plugged the GPS coordinates into the I-Phone and off we went. It was a good 5 hour trip before we finally got to the entrance of the subdivision, if you could call it that. By looking at the very neat and tidy maps of this area on landwatch.com, it appeared that this was a nicely laid out subdivision that was clearly marked with easily identifiable boundaries and streets. NOT so. Not even close. What we were presented with as we entered the subdivision on Walla Walla Street, approximately 15 miles west of our destination, was nothing more than a dirt road with major ruts in it every few hundred feet or so. By the term "dirt road" I mean only just barely a road, or even dirt. The roads, and the whole area for that matter, are covered with a very thick sandy loam that, on the driest of days is barely passable without sinking all four wheels up to the axals. When it's wet it takes on the consistency of a thick, sticky, unrelenting quick sand making it un-passable for almost any rig. I was looking for a place called Cameron Lane, which we never got to, by the way.

This place is remote to say the least. No power, no water, no law enforcement. As we proceeded, very slowly in my 2 wheel drive pick-up (big mistake, you ABSOLUTELY need a 4 wheel drive) I started to notice a disturbing trend. There aren't very many people who call this place home, so residences are rare and are often located vast distances apart. But as I got further and further into the subdivision, I noticed that most of the places that were there seemed to be extremely run down and in total disrepair. In other words, they all looked like <mod cut: language>, and as I traveled further in it got even worse.

As we traversed the never ending maze of ill defined roads and quick sand traps, we ended up on a place called Tableland Rd. It was there that we met our Waterloo. As I progressed in a easterly direction, I noticed that there were frequent piles of horse manure scattered on the road, which I found to be a bit of a relief at the time. Horses, in my mind, mean that there must be a farm nearby. I checked that info into my brain and kept following the road. After about 13 miles or so in we came across the compound. An ugly, jerry-rigged assortment of poorly constructed green houses, with a two story "residence" whose entire front was covered by green house plastic. In addition to all of that, there was also a large fleet of campers, RVs and trailers, at least 25 of them, some newer, some older and some rotting in place as they sat strewn all about. All this beauty was surrounded by a 15' tall wire fence. A real garbage dump, and a blight on the landscape, to be sure. At first, my assumption was it was the farm that the horse belonged to, as the manure piles seemed to disappear right near there, and there were a couple of steers wondering around on the other side of the fence. I could hear a number of dogs barking in the distance, but I did not see any. As I was concentrating on not getting stuck, I really did not pay near enough attention to this compound.

As we got to a certain point, the fence runs parallel to the road, about 20 feet away, and we traveled along it for quite a while. At one point, past where the fleet of old RVs was located, I decided to turn around as the ground was becoming too soft. But, unfortunately, about 200 feet from where I turned around and headed back, we got stuck in the quick sand, in a rut that I had successfully navigated once. Majorly stuck. Rear tires sank in the quick sand all the way to the axel. No use struggling, I figured. The way my truck was stuck it really only needed to be pulled about 4 feet straight out and it would be on dry land again, so I figured that I would walk over to the "farm" and see if maybe they would be willing to help. As I was walking along the fence, looking for a gate that would allow me access, it hit me. This fence was not a welcoming fence in any way, shape or form. It screamed loudly to "STAY OUT!", although I didn't actually see any signs posted as such. My blood ran cold as I realized that this was not a farm at all. This was likely a meth cooking operation and the last thing in the world I wanted to do was cross that fence. For ANY reason. Time for plan B. I rounded up my daughter and we both got into the truck. I contacted my insurance's roadside assistance program, made sure my Buck knife was handy, and the ordeal began. Thank God that our cell phones worked! It was 8:00 at night when I called.

The insurance contacted Diamond Towing in Medford, about 80 miles away. I wondered why they would send a tow truck from that far away, and as I learned, they are the ONLY towing company who will even go into the subdivison, due to the danger associated with Oregon Pines. As it turns out not even the Klamath County Sheriff's office is willing to respond to this area. It is just too dangerous. I was speaking with the tow truck dispatcher as he was triangulating our position, and I was describing where I was. He told me right then that I was in a VERY dangerous spot, and we were in eminent danger of being shot and killed just because we were near that compound. He stressed to me that he was neither joking nor exaggerating. He then confirmed my suspicion of this actually being a meth cook operation (suspected of course), and informed me that meth cooking was only one of the many serious crimes and felonies associated with that spot. I was then informed that over the years there have been a number of people who have simply disappeared off the face of the earth, right near there, and he advised me against trying to contact the people who live in the residence.

After a 5 hour wait, trying to be as quiet as we could, the tow truck was finally able to locate us and pull us out, even as a number of the tweekers were visible, scouring the field with their flashlights, keeping an eye on us and the situation. It's dark up there, everything looks the same, the going is slow and you are in constant danger of getting stuck, but they finally made it, having to turn around a couple of times before they finally located and reached us. They pulled my truck out in approximately 30 seconds and we headed down the hill, finally, at 1:30 AM. After we got down to where the tow truck drivers considered it safe we stopped and they gave me the skinny on Oregon Pines, a local's view so to speak. It seems that Oregon Pines is completely infested with criminals, felons of every kind, most of who want to disappear from society. Among them, dozens with the apex predator mentality, who have the ability and often the motive to make you just disappear without any hesitation. Forever. Most of them are armed to the gills, and tend to shoot first and ask questions later. By the way........ The thick sandy loam would be a GREAT place to hide bodies!

I also learned that places like landwatch.com, billyland.com, and landequities.com, among others, lure quite a few people up to Oregon Pines each month, all of them wanting to see why land up there is so cheap. The towing company averages AT LEAST ONE rescue similar to our each month out of Oregon Pines. None of these websites even mention the danger, or even touch upon it, and I think that they need to fix that. A warning label needs to be added to those websites stating something to the effect of "Oregon Pines Subdivision May Be Hazardous To Your Health"!

If you are planning a trip to Oregon Pines subdivision for any reason, here is my advice: DON'T. But if you DO decide to go anyway, make sure to:

1) DON'T go alone, and DO make sure to be well armed. Every adult member of your group should have a gun and know how to use it. In addition to that, a good Bowie knife is also handy.

2) DO go only in a very stout 4 wheel drive pick-up, with aggressive tire tread. You will need it. If you have a camper, take it off before going. It will be shaken to pieces on the road. Don't chance a two wheel drive. You will get stuck.

3) DO take a FLARE GUN. I wished I had taken one.

4) DO bring cell phones, the more the better. Make sure to pack a cell phone charger that plugs into your truck lighter. Cell phones DO work up on the top of the plateau, but not at the bottom. DON'T forget the cell phone charger! A back up CB radio would also be recommended.

5) DO make sure that somebody knows where your are going and when you are supposed to get back before you leave. This is vital, for as I have said sometimes people enter Oregon Pines subdivision, and they never come out. It's real. Don't let it be you who is next. It was almost me and my daughter, and it is NO JOKE.

6) DON'T count on the assistance of law enforcement. They will not help you in Oregon Pines. It's not even an option.

7) DO make sure you have all the camping supplies/water/food for at least a few more days than you plan on actually being out there. Better to have these supplies and not need them than to need them and not have them.

That is my advice.

What I found out about why this land is so very cheap is this: With the criminal infestation of the area, you would have to be insane, stupid or a felon to want to live here. It would never ever be worth it. No matter what, being that near to that many white trash tweekers is NEVER acceptable. That is why Oregon Pines subdivision is the cheapest of the cheap. It is also one of the most dangerous of the dangerous places in the state. Even at those low prices it is still massively overpriced, in my opinion. It's not safe to live there. It's not safe to even go there. Ever. Now you know why too.

Last edited by Oregontraveler; 04-29-2018 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon