Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times

Advertisements

Thanks all.
I forgot i posted here and just remembered.
Rattlesnakes? Huh.
I spend time in Idaho at over 7000 ft. and there are no rattlesnakes.
I though Joseph was up there in altitude as well for some reason.
I've just always been curious about it ... probably has something to do with my love for Chief Joseph.
I thought that perhaps when i made my next trip to Idaho, i'd take "the long way" and do some traveling through that part of Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 35,403 times
Maybe I can offer some information. I've lived in Joseph for several years, after marrying my husband, who is a native of Wallowa County, where Joseph is located. The area is incredibly diverse: 10-12,000' mountains (most in wilderness), lush green valleys, dry desert in nearby Imnaha, pine forests, and it borders Hell's Canyon, which is the deepest gorge in North America. It is quite isolated (only 3 roads access the county) and one of those roads is closed in the winter due to snow. The road into Washington is not for the faint of heart. It is called Rattlesnake Grade, and the road has been cut out of the cliffs, twisting and turning up and down along the cliff face. On several occasions the road has had rockslides or part of the road has broken off and fallen away, leaving people driving the road stuck for quite awhile until the road is made passable again. The last road (going to LaGrande) also has a couple very steep, very sharp corners that have sent drivers going too fast over the edge and into the Minam River far below.
The town of Joseph is historically a farming/ranching town, and has only fairly recently reinvented itself into a tourist town. It does have several founderies that make bronze art and statues, and both sides of Main Street are lined with bronze art from various artists. The tourist season usually only lasts from May to October, when snowy weather sets in. Then the whole county can be hard to access.
There is tons of hiking, especially in the high lakes region, where water flows off the mountains and into streams that feed the high lakes. Waterfalls abound. Stunningly beautiful. About 25 miles east of Joseph is a little tiny town called Imnaha. From here you can take a gravel road that literally goes along the spine of a mountain (another white-knuckler!) for about 20 miles until you get to Hat Point, where you can look down into Hells Canyon and the Snake River below.
Of course, check out Wallowa Lake (very touristy) where you can rent a boat or go parasailing. You also must ride the gondola. The gondola is the steepest in the US. Get into a little gondola car and ride it up to the top where there is a restaurant and some hiking trails that offer more spectacular scenery. If you are very adventurous you could drive up to Flora and Troy. Troy is a tiny tiny little burg at the confluence of three rivers and is in some of the most isolated, hard-to-get-to country you will ever see in the lower 48.
The county has been hit really hard by the recession. Many businesses have closed up, especially in Enterprise (6 miles from Joseph). Joseph has several cute little shops for tourists, and a few good (if not 5- star) restaurants. It is also host to one of the most awesome outdoor Blues concerts anywhere. It is held the second weekend in August and is in the Joseph city park. Bring a blanket and some lawn chairs in the afternoon and stay till the music is over at around midnight. Several famous bands have played there as well as some cool up and coming blues musicians. There are bronze art displays and food booths and a beer garden.
Joseph (Wallowa County) is a great place to visit. The area is known as Oregon's Little Switzerland because of the magnificent mountains. It is also Oregon's best kept secret. Most western Oregonians think that all of eastern Oregon is flat and desert-dry, but NE Oregon is certainly not. Wallowa County is a hidden gem, and will probably always be apart from the rest of the state due to its geography. Well, hope this helps!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:04 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Great detailed response oregonstateofmind, and accurate. Thanks for all the detail you gave, my earlier response was very brief as I was pressed for time.
Wallowa County is probably one of my favorite places on the face of the earth...I like the space, wilderness, scenery...but you are right about it being tough to make a living there. In another post of yours you mentioned how many more there thinking it's the perfect place, but between jobs (or lack thereof) and the isolation many move away. It was "isolated" just right as far as I was concerned.

One quick story of a friend of mine who moved away from Wallowa some years ago to, of all places, Las Vegas. Talk about culture shock! I asked what he did like about Las Vegas better than home, and he said, "Being able to get a hamburger at 11:00 at night." Ha! It is the little things like that that many don't think of when they move to a small community.

If you love the outdoors and outdoor activities, small town, sparse population, all 4 seasons, you'll like Joseph.

...and you're right about it being not desert dry--it's the wettest part of Eastern Oregon. Nothing like a summer thunder-boomer above the treeline in the Eagle Cap!

Thanks for the memories with the places you've named as I am now 2500 miles away...

Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 PM

22 posts, read 113,458 times
I visited Joseph earlier this month and we really enjoyed our day there. We had a crazy storm when we there last year and it was only 48 degrees in the late afternoon in early September. This year was much better as it was in the mid 70's. It has an awesome setting at the base of the Wallowa's, which rise abruptly nearly 6000 ft from the valley floor in Joseph. A nice treat was going up to Wallowa Lake and seeing the salmon spawning. All bright red and fighting for position in the river that flows into Wallowa Lake by the State Park. Unfortunately the tram ride up to 8000 ft. on Mt. Howard was closed due to high winds (there was only a slight breeze down at the lake) but got to spend a couple of hours at the State Park, hiking down to see the salmon and enjoying the lakefront. There are lots of activites by the State Park including canoe rentals, go carts, water bumper cars, and mini golf. I personally think Joseph is sort of like Jackson, WY in terms of setting minus a ski area. A great place to visit See my photos at Jason's Oregon Photoblog Introduction

Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Its beautiful, there are alot of artist's, one thing I would check out out that way is the Museum, it focused on the migration to the west way back, I can't remember what city it is in but we went there before or after Joseph.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Its beautiful, there are alot of artist's, one thing I would check out out that way is the Museum, it focused on the migration to the west way back, I can't remember what city it is in but we went there before or after Joseph.
I'm guessing you're talking about the Oregon Trail Museum in Baker, just off the freeway. it's some distance from Joesph.

Great museum!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies and OregonStateofMind thank you too for your long and detailed post.
I forgot again about this thread and just remembered to check it this a.m..
A couple of questions.
Someone mentioned rattlesnakes.
I see that Joseph is only at 4200 feet while i thought, for some reason, that it was over 6000 ft. in elevation.
Are rattlesnakes everywhere?
I have a bit of a fear of them ... naturally.
But i don't know their habits and/or how much of a threat they are.
I have a dog so that's an added concern regarding rattlers.
Also, people are saying that there are lots of artists there.
Can you expound on this?
What kind of art is happening there besides the bronze work?
As a single woman in my mid 40's and an artist and somewhat of a "hippie" (but low key ... no CA attitude), and with a California license plate, would i be welcomed there?
Is it crazy for someone who fits my "profile" to consider living there?
Would i find other people around my age (give or take some years) that are not tried and true locals? ... that are themselves new to the community?
I hope these questions make sense.
Thank you.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM

No, there aren't rattlesnakes "everywhere". I've seen some in the area, but the times I've been out and NOT seen them faaaaar outnumber the times I have. Rattlesnakes are pretty shy critters and aren't really aggressive, and are polite enough to let you know if you may be about to have a problem!

A person with that "profile" ought to be welcome there, especially if you lose the California tag! It is generally a conservative area but I've known my share of old hippy types in the area.

There will be people your age there that aren't from there and are fairly new. Just keep in mind that it is a small town so there's not a whole lot of people of any kind there!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 35,403 times
Joseph, and the towns of Enterprise, Lostine and Wallowa, are located in a valley that follows the Wallowa River, which is rimmed with mountains which gain altitude steeply out of the valley floor. There are very, very few rattlesnakes in the valley, and absolutely none in the surrounding Eagle Cap Mountains. Rattlesnakes are found fairly frequently, however, in the area around Imnaha and the Hells Canyon area east of Joseph. It is hotter and drier in this area of Wallowa County. Rattlers are also found in the Troy-Flora area in northern Wallowa County. The further north and east you go, the more snakes you'll find. Don't be afraid of walking with your dogs anywhere in the Wallowa River Valley or the Eagle Cap Mountains.
There are all kinds of artists living in the area. Potters, glass artists, painters, photographers. When I say this, keep this in mind: The area is SMALL in population! Lots of artists in the area is a relative thing. You'll find more artists (as far as pure numbers) in Portland. However, for a tiny community, Joseph has its fair share of artists. As for being 40 and single with hippie tendencies, you'll fit in fine. Remember, Joseph is historically an agricultural area, and there are still ranchers and cowboys (yes!) living there. Lots and lots of hunters invade the area in October. There is a conservative element living there, however newer members of the community have more liberal leanings. You'll learn which local hangouts are patronized by which groups. Being new to the community is not a problem either. Since Joseph is a small, isolated spot, you'll stick out like a neon sign and everyone will want to know your story: what brings you here; how long are you staying; do you know anyone or have family here, etc., etc. Then the novelty will wear off and you'll be accepted. Remember, Joseph receives tons of tourists in the summer, so if you come in the summer, locals will just think you're a tourist. If you stay through the winter, when only the locals are around, then you'll be noticed. Winters can be long, both in terms of weather as well as in terms of the isolation. The locals know all about each other, and without the novelty of tourists to distract from each other, locals only have each other to gossip about.
I have not found the area to be very political one way or the other. The weekly newspaper rarely has headlines that involve national news. Rather, the headlines will read something like "Local Man Caught Poaching Deer". If you want to know what's going on in the county, read The Chieftain. Life in Wallowa County is very much a life apart, and people tend to be concerned with life closer to home rather than politics in Washington, which rarely affect them.
One more thing: although you will find other newcomers to the county, expect a high turnover of people living there. Folks think: small town, quaint, close knit community, low crime rate, great place to raise kids - perfect! And then they experience the winters, the isolation, the lack of distractions (no malls, few stores even), the difficulty getting in and out of the county, and they get tired of it all and move. Just a word of warning - you may have to rethink your ideas about how to live in order to live here!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 PM

Thank You again ... skinem and oregonstateofmind.
We'll see.
You've definitely peaked my curiosity and your overview and detailed description are very helpful.
I think i need a husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon