U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 PM

108 posts, read 499,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Hi there
The gardening is fantastic, I have a small yard but am a hort volunteer out at oregon gardens in silverton and we play in the dirt year around...
At our last trip we went to the Oregon Gardens, it was great!

Liked the town of Silverton, too.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:09 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,675,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G. View Post
Has to have windows, lots of sunshine and wide open vistas.
To me that speaks volumes more than disliking rain or grey days. After many years living here, the lack of wide open vistas is the one problem I have with Oregon - excuse me, I mean western Oregon ~

I think you'll find exactly what you and your wife are looking for. Oregon is incredibly beautiful and at the very least you will enjoy your visits!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM

16,215 posts, read 19,211,523 times
We are very fortunate & truly love living here on the side of the beautiful, forested mountain (at about 2000'), for well over four lustrums.

I don't count the sunny days but we have many thruout the year. Seems to me, many more sunny then cloudy. We don't get much wind. The Mountains protect us. I think we normally get about 25" of rain, if i remember correctly.

In my mind most years Dec & Jan are the coldest & cloudy. One year a few days were down to 10 degrees. Most days during these months are only down in the 20's & 30's for lows. Several times in Feb we've had a few days in the 70's...

We get a litlle snow here. I think the most we've ever had was about 6". Some winters only 3" -4" a few times. It melts in 4-6 days or so or sooner. There have always been breaks in the weather & it warms up for a bit. The winters were colder here when we first moved here.

Bro Eric, Best of Luck to You & Your Beloved Family.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:51 PM

682 posts, read 2,230,669 times
Wide open vistas is definitely a problem in the valleys here. There are times I feel really claustrophobic because of all the trees (not to mention houses). It was a huge cultural/climate shock moving here from the deserts of Idaho, but 15 years later the gray doesn't bother me too much, and I think I'd rather have rain than snow. mostly. I'm the fairest person in my family, and burn the easiest, so it's probably better I got out of all that sun anyway. But really, it's something you have to actually experience over the course of a few seasons. It's not just the gray of the skies, but everything seems to dissolve into gray. The streets, houses, trees, all sort of become muted. It's really extraordinary.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,948 times
If you're avoiding clouds and want seasons that are truly balanced (almost 3 months of each) check out Southern Oregon. It will give you some rain and keep things green and lively for a lot of the year but break the clouds up with nice sunny days. I would recommend heading a little farther south than Roseburg but that decision is yours. Here is some information you might helpful:

Climate Zone (http://www.climatezone.com - broken link)

Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,023,081 times
I would have to say the sky cover information in the table above only reinforces what I said earlier: southern Oregon offers no significant improvement in the "gray season" from Nov. to Mar. (getting "only" 24 cloudy days in January...as opposed 25...is hardly a reason to favor the Rogue or Umpqua River Valleys over the Willamette Valley. As an example of a meaningful difference, Eugene gets on average 1 hr. 58 minutes (16% of possible sunshine) each day in January. Medford gets a little more -- an average of 2 hrs., 25 minutes of sunshine in January (17% of possible sunshine). But Redding, CA, just 150 miles to the south gets a daily average of 6 hrs. 43 minutes (70% of possible sunshine) in the same month. Now that's a meaningful difference that will affect your emotional disposition. It certainly puts touting a 1% difference into perspective.

Here are some sunlight summaries that might be useful OREGON

Read both the "location" summary at the top and the "comments" below.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
To me that speaks volumes more than disliking rain or grey days. After many years living here, the lack of wide open vistas is the one problem I have with Oregon - excuse me, I mean western Oregon ~

I think you'll find exactly what you and your wife are looking for. Oregon is incredibly beautiful and at the very least you will enjoy your visits!
Thanks Wicked Felina, we'll keep checking it out. And we will definitely enjoy our visits!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We are very fortunate & truly love living here on the side of the beautiful, forested mountain (at about 2000'), for well over four lustrums.

I don't count the sunny days but we have many thruout the year. Seems to me, many more sunny then cloudy. We don't get much wind. The Mountains protect us. I think we normally get about 25" of rain, if i remember correctly.

In my mind most years Dec & Jan are the coldest & cloudy. One year a few days were down to 10 degrees. Most days during these months are only down in the 20's & 30's for lows. Several times in Feb we've had a few days in the 70's...

We get a litlle snow here. I think the most we've ever had was about 6". Some winters only 3" -4" a few times. It melts in 4-6 days or so or sooner. There have always been breaks in the weather & it warms up for a bit. The winters were colder here when we first moved here.

Bro Eric, Best of Luck to You & Your Beloved Family.

Thanks Hawk J, it would be great to live somewhere that only gets down to 10 degrees once in a while. 8)

When the snow hits here, it usually stays all winter. And if they don't come out with the snowplows, well, you're not going anywhere!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Wide open vistas is definitely a problem in the valleys here. There are times I feel really claustrophobic because of all the trees (not to mention houses). It was a huge cultural/climate shock moving here from the deserts of Idaho, but 15 years later the gray doesn't bother me too much, and I think I'd rather have rain than snow. mostly. I'm the fairest person in my family, and burn the easiest, so it's probably better I got out of all that sun anyway. But really, it's something you have to actually experience over the course of a few seasons. It's not just the gray of the skies, but everything seems to dissolve into gray. The streets, houses, trees, all sort of become muted. It's really extraordinary.
Yeah, that will be interesting to see. I mean, my wife loves trees too, but she might get kind of claustrophobic if she can't see beyond them at all. It will really depend on the area.

Also, I would be looking for a MINIMUM of 4 acres, so that limits a lot of places I could go too. (Example, we both liked the town of Astoria, but the houses are all on top of each other...it felt like a mini San Francisco.)

Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelocaldish View Post
If you're avoiding clouds and want seasons that are truly balanced (almost 3 months of each) check out Southern Oregon. It will give you some rain and keep things green and lively for a lot of the year but break the clouds up with nice sunny days. I would recommend heading a little farther south than Roseburg but that decision is yours. Here is some information you might helpful:
Thanks thelocaldish, but when we were in Grants Pass and Medford in the summer, it just felt too hot. I know (or at least I think I know) that it's only like that for a month or two, but still...

We haven't completely written those areas off though, will just have to check them out more.

Although as Steve97415 points out, there's not a tremendous difference in the amount of cloud cover, and if I'm going to be living in a cloudy area, I'd rather stay on the cooler summer side of things.

Last edited by Eric G.; 09-19-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon