Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
You can't pump your own gas anywhere in Oregon. There's an absurd law against it. If any gas station let customers pump their own gas, I'd be all over it (as would the media and lawyers).
i think the exception is with diesel....is pacific pride only diesel?

kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,681 times
I think Pacific Pride is only for CDL holders and commercial customers with fleets of cars...

Old 09-22-2009, 06:39 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
yeah, i know about the atm thing, so i always shield my fingers when i type in my code... i only use the atm at the bank, & use the credit side of my debit card at stores.

2 times my selco card has needed to be replaced because at christmas time certain chain stores have their security breached with atm number cards... so i don't use the atm side in retail outlets anymore, just the visa side.
That's why you should always object to private entities asking for your "government issued ID" to cover their rear.

You hear private data leak from time to time due to an employee error, such as a stolen laptop, yet they're not held 100% accountable for consequential identity theft related expenses.

You don't see a vial of Versed just sitting about in the exam room, but you often see patient records with SSN visible at university offices, medical offices, etc due to careless clerical staff. They're often not really guarded that well either.

SSN's original purpose was to administer social security program, but today, its primary purpose is to use as a individual serial number by the government as well as private industries.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,191 times
I have worked in retail before and sometimes policies, as annoying as they may seem, are in place to not only protect the business but the consumer as well. We had two policies concerning credit card purchases: 1) if the card was not signed on the back (or if the signature on the receipt was way off) we would ask for ID. In my business we couldn't care where you lived or any other valuable information, just as long as the names matched and the face. We would also recommend to the person that they sign their card. Many responses were "I don't like to sign it in case it gets stolen then someone will forge my signature." We informed them if it was not signed then if it was lost the finder could sign the back and the signature would match. If nothing else at least put SEE ID on the back. It was amazing how many people said that was a good idea but you could tell they would never do it.

The second policy we had was to not accept the CC of the other spouse. And we got a lot of flack for this one. We would try to explain that in the past we got burned by couples going through a nasty divorce and how one spouse would use the CC of the other and rack up a ton of charges. Of course this would be disputed by the "victim spouse" and I was told by my manager that most times this either delayed or cancelled the payment so the company figured it would be better to not accept these at all. While I can sympathize with the legitimate consumers out there most businesses have these policies because of being burned in the past with being trustworthy. True example: we accepted checks for purchases but we were told to ask for ID with any check payments. I asked one lady for her ID and she kind of in a friendly way balked at it and was very sincere sounding when she said "I don't write bad checks." Well foolish me let her go and guess what? Sure enough, the check came back as INSUFFICIENT FUNDS. Totally my mistake for being trusting here and that just makes it harder on the people who don't have some alterior motive behind their payment of a purchase.

It's a whole different world out there now. Identity theft is more prevalent than ever before. Personally, I have no objection if I am asked for ID. I would be bothered if the person asking studied my ID for some time as they only need to verify the same name and face which only takes a mere 2 seconds to do. While I understand the annoyance the OP may feel it really does benefit you and let's face it - while the ID theft is becoming more "popular" these days (geez, digging through garbage for bills and receipts and such???) I think more and more businesses will be asking consumers to verify their ID when they use anything else besides cash to pay for their purchase. I agree that it is ashame that this has to happen in the first place but it is here. If it helps think of it as if anyone got a hold of your CC, wouldn't you want someone out there asking that person for their ID to be sure it's their card or not? I know in a few cases this actually prevented some thief from creating "more purchase damage."

Last edited by Wandering_Spirit; 09-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Proofreading caught terrible spelling mistakes.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
I have worked in retail before and sometimes policies, as annoying as they may seem, are in place to not only protect the business but the consumer as well. We had two policies concerning credit card purchases: 1) if the card was not signed on the back (or if the signature on the receipt was way off) we would ask for ID.
Unsigned card is one of the few circumstances where a merchant may require a photo ID as a condition of acceptance.

Quote:
In my business we couldn't care where you lived or any other valuable information, just as long as the names matched and the face. We would also recommend to the person that they sign their card. Many responses were "I don't like to sign it in case it gets stolen then someone will forge my signature." We informed them if it was not signed then if it was lost the finder could sign the back and the signature would match. If nothing else at least put SEE ID on the back. It was amazing how many people said that was a good idea but you could tell they would never do it.

The second policy we had was to not accept the CC of the other spouse. And we got a lot of flack for this one. We would try to explain that in the past we got burned by couples going through a nasty divorce and how one spouse would use the CC of the other and rack up a ton of charges.
How are you going to know with a name like Stacey, Casey, Tyler, Joey or other unisex or gender neutral names? I don't know the quality of the business, or the quality of the cashier, so my policy is that you can ask for ID, but I choose not to. I can ask you what time it is, and you don't have to answer.

Quote:
Of course this would be disputed by the "victim spouse" and I was told by my manager that most times this either delayed or cancelled the payment so the company figured it would be better to not accept these at all. While I can sympathize with the legitimate consumers out there most businesses have these policies because of being burned in the past with being trustworthy. True example: we accepted checks for purchases but we were told to ask for ID with any check payments. I asked one lady for her ID and she kind of in a friendly way balked at it and was very sincere sounding when she said "I don't write bad checks." Well foolish me let her go and guess what? Sure enough, the check came back as INSUFFICIENT FUNDS. Totally my mistake for being trusting here and that just makes it harder on the people who don't have some alterior motive behind their payment of a purchase.
Checks are different. You have no way of verifying funds on the spot. Credit cards, unless your still is still 1970s using a mechanical machine offer authorization on the spot for the purchase amount.

Quote:
It's a whole different world out there now. Identity theft is more prevalent than ever before. Personally, I have no objection if I am asked for ID. I would be bothered if the person asking studied my ID for some time as they only need to verify the same name and face which only takes a mere 2 seconds to do.
See? When the cashier has a doubt, their gut feel drives them to study closer, which leads to discriminatory behavior towards card holders.

Quote:
While I understand the annoyance the OP may feel it really does benefit you and let's face it - while the ID theft is becoming more "popular" these days (geez, digging through garbage for bills and receipts and such???) I think more and more businesses will be asking consumers to verify their ID when they use anything else besides cash to pay for their purchase. I agree that it is ashame that this has to happen in the first place but it is here. If it helps think of it as if anyone got a hold of your CC, wouldn't you want someone out there asking that person for their ID to be sure it's their card or not? I know in a few cases this actually prevented some thief from creating "more purchase damage."
Many, many, many businesses are simply negligent when it comes to credit card policies. Store managers don't seem to understand that their in-house policies do not allow them to contradict merchant service agreement. It's not even funny how many violations you find. I pay a membership fee which entitles me to using my cards like cash at whatever merchant that choose to participate in accepting that card. Although you can refuse service to anyone, refusing service to someone because they don't present an ID for credit card use and requiring them to produce additional documents for using credit violates service agreement for which under contract, they may revoke your acceptance privilege or levy a fine.

Here are some common violations committed by businesses:

Adding surcharge (who hasn't seen "we require $xx minimum charge, minimum charge of $xx elseif we add xx cents, xx cents surcharge for all credit card purchase)

Requiring minimum or maximum purchase (i.e. allowing customers to pay "down payment" on credit card, but refusing to let them purchase the vehicle entirely on credit, or refusing to let him charge a candy bar on credit card)

Forcing customers to produce ID, and some actually writing stuff down.

When challenged, many businesses argue "a lot of other places do it too" or "the bank charges us a fee" trying to persuade customers that what they're doing is legit, when it is in fact absolutely prohibited and are subject to a charge back. Fact: just because your neighboring adds a surcharge, or cheated the IRS doesn't give you a pass to do it yourself.

Adding surcharge and/or forcing customers to buy things they don't want and exploiting them on their lack of knowledge of credit card acceptance policy is highly unconscionable.

Businesses should RTFM. If they don't like it, they don't have to accept the card. You accept the card in accordance to merchant agreement, or don't accept PERIOD. You can't pick and choose which rules to abide by and which ones to bend.

I live by no minimum/maximum amount, no surcharge, and no ID requirement. Impose of these and I will complain to CC company. Impose any unauthorized fees or force me to buy minimum, I will follow up with you via a chargeback.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:16 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
I think Pacific Pride is only for CDL holders and commercial customers with fleets of cars...
Sorry, I see people pumping their own gas there. But I think you're right.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Sorry, I see people pumping their own gas there. But I think you're right.
It requires an account in business name.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,307 times
I am just back for a trip in Oregon and here are my thoughts on this.

1) I love it that Oregon employs people to pump gas! This is also why I will not use any self check out in any store no matter how long the lines are as my thinking is each one puts a person out of work. I used to pump gas here in Calif as a kid and now days jobs like that are gone for the kids now days so were do they work and find jobs with so few any more ? They do not they hang out and that sets the stage for trouble I believe. Any way I wish here they did pump gas then my 81 year old mother would not have to pump her own gas also and that would also be nice service for people and jobs for people a win win in my book!

2) When I am asked for my ID. I thank the person for asking as I know it is for my protection as much as there’s in our fight against fraud and stolen card usage and or stolen ID's. all my cards have see ID on there backs with no signed name yet not one time in all my trips in Oregon this year have I been asked even one time and only one time was a carbon recite made of my gas charge. Now to give an idea as to my travels I have been threw the middle of the state from the ca> border to the Columbia River. I have also been along the full why 84 rout from east to west. Along the cost Astoria to again the ca. border and this was not done in one trip but many. I have covered almost all of Oregon from the east to the west from south to north and that’s a lot of gas and having gas pumped for me and not one time being asked even with the card saying see ID.!
So for me I am glad Oregon employs people with there pump law and I am also upset that they do not ask to see my ID even when the card says to! I will say I am watching the person from start to end carefully because I am careful about my ID also.
So all you Oregon people take pride in your state doing more then lip service in employing people. Take pride in that yes it may be miname wage but you gas prices are still lower then my states Ca. and here is a little talk about fact I get 2 to 3 MPG better with Oregon gas then I do with CA gas. So higher MPG and have it pumped for me at a lower cost I love it. some just do not understand how good they have it tell it's gone believe me I know been there lost it and miss it hope to find a job in Oregon and make it my home for good as CA never was home to me and is even less so now days!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,161,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
I am just back for a trip in Oregon and here are my thoughts on this.

1) I love it that Oregon employs people to pump gas! This is also why I will not use any self check out in any store no matter how long the lines are as my thinking is each one puts a person out of work. I used to pump gas here in Calif as a kid and now days jobs like that are gone for the kids now days so were do they work and find jobs with so few any more ? They do not they hang out and that sets the stage for trouble I believe. Any way I wish here they did pump gas then my 81 year old mother would not have to pump her own gas also and that would also be nice service for people and jobs for people a win win in my book!

2) When I am asked for my ID. I thank the person for asking as I know it is for my protection as much as there’s in our fight against fraud and stolen card usage and or stolen ID's. all my cards have see ID on there backs with no signed name yet not one time in all my trips in Oregon this year have I been asked even one time and only one time was a carbon recite made of my gas charge. Now to give an idea as to my travels I have been threw the middle of the state from the ca> border to the Columbia River. I have also been along the full why 84 rout from east to west. Along the cost Astoria to again the ca. border and this was not done in one trip but many. I have covered almost all of Oregon from the east to the west from south to north and that’s a lot of gas and having gas pumped for me and not one time being asked even with the card saying see ID.!
So for me I am glad Oregon employs people with there pump law and I am also upset that they do not ask to see my ID even when the card says to! I will say I am watching the person from start to end carefully because I am careful about my ID also.
So all you Oregon people take pride in your state doing more then lip service in employing people. Take pride in that yes it may be miname wage but you gas prices are still lower then my states Ca. and here is a little talk about fact I get 2 to 3 MPG better with Oregon gas then I do with CA gas. So higher MPG and have it pumped for me at a lower cost I love it. some just do not understand how good they have it tell it's gone believe me I know been there lost it and miss it hope to find a job in Oregon and make it my home for good as CA never was home to me and is even less so now days!
great points and great post!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 AM

40 posts, read 160,549 times
I agree with Techman's posts on this subject. I myself am guilty of letting some stores get away with the see ID request. Usually because I'm in a hurry but there are plenty of examples of ID theft based on that cashier/gas pump jockey etc. using that ID info to steal your credit info. Hell, there was a bestbuy store (I forget where) that had all the card info stolen from them a few years ago wirelessly by a hacker sitting in the parking lot with a laptop and wireless connection (war driving and sniffing signals). The store had set up their registers to send all the data wirelessly to the store's main computers and they didn't secure the signal (aka encrypt it) so anyone could read it.

Another problem are places like bestbuy and the now dead circuit city that had you sign the receipt on those little boxes with an "electronic" signature. Those things never really do a good job of capturing a signature that looks clear and readable to my signature on paper/card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon