Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 AM

404 posts, read 1,337,990 times

Advertisements

Attendant decided I had to show ID for credit card. I said no and I was refused service for it. I'm seeing this far more frequently now than I did a few years ago.

VISA & MasterCard do not allow mandating ID for the purpose of using the card. If you're buying alcohol, a gun, you're asked for ID for the purchase, not for your credit card.

The only requirement.. in the event of a chargeback, produce signed receipt.

Yet, most stations are not requiring you to sign it.

#1, there is a privacy and security issue, ESPECIALLY at a gas station

#2, if it is not done with 100% consistency, it opens up card users to racial, gender and age profiling. "James Johnson... 40ish white male, oh, well looks legit"... "hmm Chavez.. 20s.. oh I better get this guy's ID"

Even though you might be told "we're protecting our ass" in the name of "for YOUR protection...", you have plenty to lose(i.e. anything the attendant and/or his friend might want in your car) , nothing to gain by handing over your driver's license. It's a license for you to DRIVE, not to buy gas.

If they're really concerned about you or other people, they'd be asking for ID from cash paying customers too and report any suspected DUIs and such.

The big powerful lights light up next target for car prowlers nicely without raising any suspicious.

Thanks to our legislators, Oregon still has the crazy ban on self pumping, so we're forced to let an attendant pump it. Gas station attendants are almost always minimum wage and they're not known for having the most upstanding circle of friends or having the best records.

Many people have to park outdoors, or on the street and car prowl already is a big issue at home, and while parked in parking garages.

What's a nicer way to scope out a next target than someone who comes up to you, in your well lit station?

Friend to attendant: "here are what I'm looknig for. If you come across one, get the description and the address and I'll pay you $xx for each successful one"

txt messaging:
Attendant ok.. scopes out for that stereo, GPS, whatever. notes description "hi, can I see your ID for your credit card?" "makes mental note of address.. .."black Acura Integra, sweet stereo, sweet aftermarket parts.. 42nd & Hawthorne ish"

How to Steal What You Need at the Shopping Mall | eHow.com

Four suspects arrested in county-wide car prowl ring | Neighborhood News - Southwest | kgw.com | News for Portland Oregon and SW Washington (http://www.kgw.com/neighborhood/southwest/stories/kgw_102108_news_car_prowl_ring_arrests.136563a5d.h tml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:11 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,621 times
glad my car isn't worth stealing. i almost always go to the same station. they're so happy to see me cuz i always tip. i feel sorry for the attendants: lots of exposure to fumes, esp. benzene. toxic.

k.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:54 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
At many gas stations, where the credit card reader is on the pump, you are asked to enter the zip code of your billing address (acting like a pin #) as a way of verifying that the card is used by a valid user.

My credit card has a photo of a younger me, but it is still obviously me. I think that is a great idea.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:03 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
On the signature strip on the back of the credit card, I used to print "See Phot I.D." in the vain hope that if it was ever stolen it might be harder to use. In every instance I used that card, only once did anyone ask to see my I.D.

I frequently use my wife's debit card--with her obviously feminine name on it and have never been refused...and no, my name's not Sue.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Many cards came with a merchant guarantee - a transaction of $20 or $25 was guaranteed by the card issuer, even if the card was used fraudulently, so the merchant didn't have to check ID under a certain amount.

That USED to be enough to fill up a gas tank. Now that some fills are $50 plus, I've noticed that some gas stations, especially the ones along major highways, ask for ID to verify, or ask for zip code, as another poster pointed out.

I've had other merchants ask for ID as well (including my own bank when depositing or cashing checks at a branch other than my own). I'm not sure why a gas station would need to be singled out as a place where that was less acceptable than others.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,621 times
i think OP's singling the gas station attendants out. they're too rascallian for OP.

K.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
I have also been asked by merchants for a photo ID. I don't think it's unreasonable. It's just another way of verifying the credit card is mine.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times
Personally, I'm happy when they ask for my ID. I wish I could have my picture on my credit cards, but it's not offered by the ones that I have.

When check writing was the norm, they asked for ID to check the signature and address. Why not credit cards?

Old 09-20-2009, 12:38 PM

404 posts, read 1,337,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Personally, I'm happy when they ask for my ID. I wish I could have my picture on my credit cards, but it's not offered by the ones that I have.

When check writing was the norm, they asked for ID to check the signature and address. Why not credit cards?
With a check, you don't know if it's a valid check or just a piece of paper. Many merchants still have the mechanical press for making a carbon copy of the card, but usually only done so if requested by the card authorization center.

With a credit card, the bank is contacted electronically and authorization is granted on the spot for the amount to be charged, BEFORE cardholder is asked to sign. If authorization is declined, so is purchase.

Fake IDs are more readily available than an active stolen card meaning that if someone presents a piece of ID that says "CARDHOLDER's NAME" and a photograph of the "card user" he might get the item.

Unless YOUR SIGNATURE is "See ID" you've just invalidated your card with the fake signature.

Counterfeit bills exist, yet I've yet to come across a place that records ID for cash purchase.

Heck, why not make scanning ID mandatory for EVERY retail purchase to spot fugitives with arrest warrants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Many cards came with a merchant guarantee - a transaction of $20 or $25 was guaranteed by the card issuer, even if the card was used fraudulently, so the merchant didn't have to check ID under a certain amount.
The merchants are prohibited from requiring an identification as a condition of acceptance, at least with Visa and MasterCard.

Reference:
http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...ual_public.pdf
5-7
Visa also has the same rule.

Above certain amount, they're required to furnish a copy of valid signature to card issuer upon request, otherwise, a charge back becomes the merchant's liability and a statement "oh but my employee checked EYE DEE!!1" is not a substitute.

Quote:
That USED to be enough to fill up a gas tank. Now that some fills are $50 plus, I've noticed that some gas stations, especially the ones along major highways, ask for ID to verify, or ask for zip code, as another poster pointed out.
The zip code is used for verification with the merchant processor sometimes. I'd be happy to sign the receipt.

Quote:
I've had other merchants ask for ID as well (including my own bank when depositing or cashing checks at a branch other than my own). I'm not sure why a gas station would need to be singled out as a place where that was less acceptable than others.
The bank already has your private information anyways and the bank tellers are screened far more thoroughly than a pump jockey.

Asking for ID for any credit card use opens up door to discrimination and identity fraud (oh.. your name is John Doe, well that's a common name, therefore I need to see your ID" ) or hmmm this person fits this type (i need to see ID for YOUR protection).

There's no valid reason that a station attendant needs your address or see your license to drive, because it is not a license to buy gasoline. Since cars are left outside near your home, it is more vulnerable. Things left inside cars or known to be inside are the most common target.

The nanny state of Oregon + New Jersey unlike the rest of America feels that motorists are not adequately skilled to handle gasoline. I feel that the state mandated unskilled laborers do not need to access my personal information. I'm not required to and they're contractually prohibited from denying service on this basis.

Last edited by TechmanOR; 09-20-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 01:05 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,467,753 times
Along the lines of what PNW-type-gal said, even doctors offices are requesting photo ID when filling out forms. Perhaps it's some sort of insurance requirement?

Techman, have you tried using Pacific Pride for your gas? You can pump your own gas there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon