Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindyhello03 View Post
We live in Deschutes Woods, Bend, OR and are interested in a few homes in Prineville. We're looking at a couple at "Ochoco West" which is about 10 miles from Prineville.

Can anyone tell me about Ochoco West?

Does anyone have a map of the subdivision. The pool, trails, lakes etc?

Do the homes in Ochoco West or Prineville proper gain any value over time compared to other places?

Can you grow vegetables in Prineville?

My husband is 70 and likes to work part time. Are there any chances for employment there? He's a great worker and reliable.

One consideration is I can't drive but my husband can and it doesn't look like there are any convience stores located there. So what do you do if you run out of eggs or milk?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Why don't you take a drive there and check it out for yourself. It's not that far from Bend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 PM

234 posts, read 718,487 times
I lived in Ochoco West and loved it. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in Prineville. It's pretty safe! Kids go for walks, people walk their dogs, very friendly people (for the most part). There is a community swimming pool, and if you hike a couple miles down a trail there are 2 trout ponds that Ochoco West residents can go fishing in! They stock it with trout in the summer time, it's great. Ochoco West also provides a horse stable. I adore this neighborhood. Oh, you mentioned gardening - the answer is YES. In fact MOST people who own a home in Prineville either have a garden or a farm. Many people in Ochoco West grow little gardens with fruits, veggies, potatoes, flowers, etc. I grew peas and potatoes when I lived there. You might need to bring in soil or fertilizer though, because the soil isn't very fertile or easy to work with. But it is possible to garden and LOTS of people do it! Just make sure you put a tall wire fence around your garden because there are lots of deer and other animals that will come destroy your garden! LOTS of deer out there.

It's about 10 miles north of downtown, very easy and quick commute, feels like a very short drive once you get into routine. My husband rode his bike into town rather than drove, but most people drive. If you are low on eggs or milk it isn't too big of a deal going into town. If you are desperate, the neighbors will be very nice, plenty of old folks I'm sure would lend you anything you need.

God bless

Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 PM

234 posts, read 718,487 times
Jobs are VERY hard to find. Make sure you get a job lined up PRIOR to moving!!! Housing costs and rent is VERY inexpensive because of this. Your husband could work at a grocery store, or maybe for the forest service, maybe for a bank. But really there is nothing out there right now. Nobody is hiring in Prineville, it's 25% unemployment right now.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM

76 posts, read 319,766 times
Just to give an update to anyone who may have been interested in what I ended up doing, I decided against moving to Prineville. I actually was there visiting on that day that Bend got dumped on with 7 inches of snow in early October. That was beautiful, and had absolutely no bearing in my decision to not end up in Prineville. I checked out the town, and just didn't get a good vibe (sorry ak.nessa). I guess I need a town with a little more options in terms of shopping, restaurants (since I NEVER eat at home), movie theaters, etc. Bend was just a bit further of a drive than I would want to make every day or several days a week to get those things. Also Bend didn't seem to have any primary care openings, so that really left most of Central Oregon out for me.
Actually ended up with a great offer from a practice over in Salem, which I really hadn't been intending to look at as I thought I wanted a colder climate, more snow, but overall seemed to have a lot of the things I wanted and isn't far from Portland for other nightlife. Will be relocating just after the new year. Thanks everybody for the feedback on Prineville though. It did help.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:58 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Congrats on the new job, and the new location. It'll be a change for you, but you may find that you like it. Yes there should be lots to do as far as shops and places to eat in Salem. Bring your raincoat with you or buy a new one.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
Billions of rentals exist in Bend at least. You may want to run a credit check on the landlord (I mean this seriously) to make sure they don't get foreclosed on, forcing you to move yet again. Check craigslist out for rentals - there are many hungry landlords.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 PM

76 posts, read 319,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Congrats on the new job, and the new location. It'll be a change for you, but you may find that you like it. Yes there should be lots to do as far as shops and places to eat in Salem. Bring your raincoat with you or buy a new one.
Yeah the news down here in Florida keeps covering the nasty weather going on in Washington/Oregon right now. I like a good deluge. We get them down here in the summers. Wish we could have that and NOT the humidity, then maybe I wouldn't be so anxious to get out of this state!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
Salem is a wet cold in winter and has humid summers as does the whole willamite valley.

Silverfalls state park is about 1/2 hour drive.... and it is one beautiful forest!!!!!!!!

Good luck on your move and welcome to Oregon

Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
Salem ..... and has humid summers as does the whole willamite valley.
Willamette Valley summers might seem humid for somebody coming from the desert Southwest, but for most people coming from the Midwest or South, they seem to be just the opposite.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Willamette Valley summers might seem humid for somebody coming from the desert Southwest, but for most people coming from the Midwest or South, they seem to be just the opposite.
As a PNW'er transplanted to the South making frequent trips home to Oregon and WA, this is dead on right. For someone who's been living in Florida, the Willamette valley will not seem humid.

FloridaMD, I gotta tell you--you can't really compare the typical Florida summer "deluge" to what happens in Salem. I'll explain the difference this way...where I currently live in Tennessee gets about the same annual rainfall as many parts of the PNW. But the difference is this---here it's as if someone dumps a bucket of water on you every week or two. In Salem, it'll be like someone is shooting you with a squirtgun 24/7...

You get summer afternoon thunderboomers and heavy rains for generally short periods in Florida. In Salem, it's drizzle on you from Oct to May...or it'll seem like it. Showers with intemittent drizzle. Cloudy with periods of cloudier. Periods of rain with periods of sprinkles. Etc., etc.

I'm not knocking Salem, just saying it's not a fair comparison.

Good luck with the new job--and you are moving to a beautiful area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon