Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:37 PM

155 posts, read 375,867 times

Advertisements

Seems like most of Ashland is mostly transient since it has the Shakespearean Festival and the college, so I wonder how many really live there year around.
Since there are so many people moving in and out of there, how is the crime rate there?
The college seems to bring a good energy but, I don't think of it as a party college causing trouble.
I hear about the town being full of snobs, are they town locals? or out of townees from Ca that are rich so they came to town as snobs. BTW snobs don't bother me as kindness is always bigger than snob attitudes.
What are police like? they overstep their bonds at times, or do they seem pretty cool?
City leaders? Are they big headed or do they make decisions because they are trying to do the right thing for the city?
If I were to decide to buy a two bedroom home there, what would be the average price for such a home?
My plan A is Ashland because from the times I have spent there it has a good energy feel that I hope is not my imagination.
Plan B is to look at GP as I do have a warm spot for it and I know the place a bit better
Thoughts?
Namaste
Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:59 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
If you are a blue-collar worker with a high school education punching a time clock then white-collar professionals are "snobs." If you are a white-collar professional, then blue-collar workers are "rednecks." It's just a matter of understanding who you are and what your peer group is. In general, southern Oregon is an economically depressed area and educational attainment is lower than elsewhere in western Oregon. If you wanted a city in southern Oregon that best supports the kind of culture that prevails in Portland, Eugene, Salem and Corvallis, then Ashland would be it.
Ashland has changed quite a bit in the past two decades, though. It is increasingly more of a retirement community for the economically privileged and less and less a place where middle-class Americans can work in the local economy and make ends meet.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

155 posts, read 375,867 times
I guess I am lucky to have a business online so I don't have to worry about finding a job, regardless of where I choose to land myself.
I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but, it leaves my options open.
When I lived in GP at the age of 16 I do remember the heat, but, it was the gray skies that bothered me at the time...But now, I enjoy gray skies and cool weather.
I think working in the heat and living in heat can be two different things
I guess, I will say that when we drive up to SO and see all the beauty, it makes me feel like I am home and it feels real good.
I believe that everybody has "their" place that just feels right, and my wife and I feel this is the place.
The thing is that a place isn't what makes us happy anyway, her and I are very happy. We just want a place that we can call home and settle down
Take care...
White Mountain

Old 10-03-2009, 11:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I would agree that Ashland is largely an immigrant mecca, not as much transient. People move here and hope to stay a while. That said, Ashland is a draw for affluent people from the CA Bay Area and LA, usually who made it rich through real estate or other ventures. So, they come in at a high stratum and do not seem very interested in S. Oregon culture. They assume tha CAL or Stanford degree is better training than anything in S. Oregon, and they are probably right. But you can feel it, and it does not always help.

As someone who has struggled to build a life here in the middle class, who bought my first small home here, with no equity tail wind, it is hard to see folks living in mansions, driving brand new Volvos and Mercedes, putting three kids in private school when enrollment is declining in the public schools, and working part-time or telecommuting to Cali.

It is not that the people are not decent, it is that they are almost ALL from that background. It is truly a California expat ghetto, and opportunities ot assimilate into Oregon are inhibited by that. It think it has to do strongly with the real estate bubble. The people really do want to contribute, and they are no better or worse than anyone else, but it contributes to a cultural disconnect between Ashland and the rest of S. Oregon. Since many of the environmental groups are based in Ashland, it also sometimes seems like the exurban wealthy whose bread is buttered are also telling everyone else what to do. So a cultural divide and resentment are endemic.

If these things concern you, GP is a better bet. But Ashland is a beautiful place, and if you have equity money and telecommute to California, you will fit right in in Ashland. Medford is a bit of a blend.It is certainly a beautiful area, and you are wise to do your research. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I would agree that Ashland is largely an immigrant mecca, not as much transient. People move here and hope to stay a while. That said, Ashland is a draw for affluent people from the CA Bay Area and LA, usually who made it rich through real estate or other ventures. So, they come in at a high stratum and do not seem very interested in S. Oregon culture. They assume tha CAL or Stanford degree is better training than anything in S. Oregon, and they are probably right. But you can feel it, and it does not always help.

As someone who has struggled to build a life here in the middle class, who bought my first small home here, with no equity tail wind, it is hard to see folks living in mansions, driving brand new Volvos and Mercedes, putting three kids in private school when enrollment is declining in the public schools, and working part-time or telecommuting to Cali.

It is not that the people are not decent, it is that they are almost ALL from that background. It is truly a California expat ghetto, and opportunities ot assimilate into Oregon are inhibited by that. It think it has to do strongly with the real estate bubble. The people really do want to contribute, and they are no better or worse than anyone else, but it contributes to a cultural disconnect between Ashland and the rest of S. Oregon. Since many of the environmental groups are based in Ashland, it also sometimes seems like the exurban wealthy whose bread is buttered are also telling everyone else what to do. So a cultural divide and resentment are endemic.

If these things concern you, GP is a better bet. But Ashland is a beautiful place, and if you have equity money and telecommute to California, you will fit right in in Ashland. Medford is a bit of a blend.It is certainly a beautiful area, and you are wise to do your research. Good luck!
This is a brilliant post. So eloquently and accurately put. Good on ya!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 79,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mountain View Post
Seems like most of Ashland is mostly transient since it has the Shakespearean Festival and the college, so I wonder how many really live there year around.
Since there are so many people moving in and out of there, how is the crime rate there?
The college seems to bring a good energy but, I don't think of it as a party college causing trouble.
I hear about the town being full of snobs, are they town locals? or out of townees from Ca that are rich so they came to town as snobs. BTW snobs don't bother me as kindness is always bigger than snob attitudes.
What are police like? they overstep their bonds at times, or do they seem pretty cool?
City leaders? Are they big headed or do they make decisions because they are trying to do the right thing for the city?
If I were to decide to buy a two bedroom home there, what would be the average price for such a home?
My plan A is Ashland because from the times I have spent there it has a good energy feel that I hope is not my imagination.
Plan B is to look at GP as I do have a warm spot for it and I know the place a bit better
Thoughts?
Namaste
Jack
I lived in Ashland for 6 years and even though it looks charming with some nice homes here and there and Ashland Park being it's scenic highlight, there are some negative points. I met a cop who said there was actually a high burglary rate there. My best guess is that it's from the desheveled drugged out youth that infest the downtown square and entrance to the park. You cant miss them, they're all over the place and really look scummy. I walked through the park one day and some guy passed by me freaking out and began yelling at me for no reason(LSD,PCP)? I hear there is a camp of homeless that live up in the park behind the resovoir and thats where he probably came from.

Then there are the neo-hippie types. These are the younger people that are homeless looking, but aren't. You can see them everywhere, especially at the Co-Op. The Co-Op is the best store to get quality organic food, but when you see these neo-hippies inside there with they're lice infested dreadlocks, dirty bare feet and post-reefer body odor, it kind of kills the idea of buying food.

Don't be fooled when you walk downtown during the spring/summer when the theater is in full swing. 90% of the hygenic, well dressed people are just passing through on holiday and the rest of the year the town closes down and the dreadlocks are abound.

The cops are tough(lots of ticket traps and they're sneaky)

The city council is a joke read this Ashland City Council agrees to get therapy | MailTribune.com

Homes are waaaaaay overpriced for what you get. Over-hyped by greedy ex-California realtors. East Medford actually has some nice neighborhoods and it's only 20 minutes to Ashland if you need to see a play or go to the park. That's all there is to do there and you'll save a bunch of money.

If you decide to move to Ashland, make sure you buy a Subaru or Prius and put an Obama sticker on it. If your a conservative you definetely will not be in the status quo.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by reno51; 01-09-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default Ashland Oregon Bohemians Corruption Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno51 View Post
I lived in Ashland for 6 years and even though it looks charming with some nice homes here and there and Ashland Park being it's scenic highlight, there are some negative points. I met a cop who said there was actually a high burglary rate there. My best guess is that it's from the desheveled drugged out youth that infest the downtown square and entrance to the park. You cant miss them, they're all over the place and really look scummy. I walked through the park one day and some guy passed by me freaking out and began yelling at me for no reason(LSD,PCP)? I hear there is a camp of homeless that live up in the park behind the resovoir and thats where he probably came from.

Then there are the neo-hippie types. These are the younger people that are homeless looking, but aren't. You can see them everywhere, especially at the Co-Op. The Co-Op is the best store to get quality organic food, but when you see these neo-hippies inside there with they're lice infested dreadlocks, dirty bare feet and post-reefer body odor, it kind of kills the idea of buying food.

Don't be fooled when you walk downtown during the spring/summer when the theater is in full swing. 90% of the hygenic, well dressed people are just passing through on holiday and the rest of the year the town closes down and the dreadlocks are abound.

The cops are tough(lots of ticket traps and they're sneaky)

The city council is a joke read this Ashland City Council agrees to get therapy | MailTribune.com

Homes are waaaaaay overpriced for what you get. Over-hyped by greedy ex-California realtors. East Medford actually has some nice neighborhoods and it's only 20 minutes to Ashland if you need to see a play or go to the park. That's all there is to do there and you'll save a bunch of money.

If you decide to move to Ashland, make sure you buy a Subaru or Prius and put an Obama sticker on it. If your a conservative you definetely will not be in the status quo.

Hope this helps....
It doesn't sound like the place is very SAFE or HEALTHY (given your description of drug use, and disheveled youth at the health store).

It doesn't sound like the place is free of corruption (given your description of police and City Council issues).

It sounds a lot like the current state of Flagstaff, Arizona, if not worse, given your description.

Is there ANY place in Oregon for young singles, young couples w/ small children, into the arts and outdoors (Eugene's slogan, I know) that is affordable, with good jobs, no police corruption, and City Council members who provide excellent service with integrity?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and some aspects of selecting a place are very subjective. Other aspects are measureable. Check out the City Data profile of Ashland. The crime rates are well lower than the national average and by comparison are about half of the rate in Portland. The incomes and educational levels of the residents are also measured. Ashland has a very high number of individuals with college degrees and above. Housing is expensive with plenty of McMansions. For good or bad, the house prices have largely remained very high. It is not clear if prices will eventually fall or have stabilized and will increase. Prices are 30-50% higher than in Talent and Medford just a few miles away. Ashland is hard to characterize since it is a small town which is residential, also a college town, and also a tourist/resort town. I really cannot comment on the drugged-out, non-homeless youths. I guess I was at the wrong places and just did not notice.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
It doesn't sound like the place is very SAFE or HEALTHY (given your description of drug use, and disheveled youth at the health store).

It doesn't sound like the place is free of corruption (given your description of police and City Council issues).

It sounds a lot like the current state of Flagstaff, Arizona, if not worse, given your description.

Is there ANY place in Oregon for young singles, young couples w/ small children, into the arts and outdoors (Eugene's slogan, I know) that is affordable, with good jobs, no police corruption, and City Council members who provide excellent service with integrity?
Is Ashland the worst place to live? No. Does it have a high socio-economic level? Yes.

Would I raise a child there? No. I can speak first hand that I know someone who had a sixteen year old daughter that got mixed up with drugs, namely pot and said that a "huge" amount of kids in school do it. There are not that many outlets for kids there, since it's a really secluded boxed in town.

As far as shopping went, I always found myself driving to Medford to get common goods. 99% of the stores in town are overpriced and mainly for the tourists. I enjoyed the sales tax free environment in Oregon, except only Ashland has a silly sales tax on resturants.

I worked in Medford and when I introduced myself to people out there and told them I lived in Ashland, they gave me a strange look, or would make comments like, "oooh your rich!" I never liked to be stereo-typed like that, especially since I couldn't figure out what all the hype was about and to me it's just an average town.

Did I mention that there are nudists that streak around town on occasion? Great to have to explain that to your kids unless you yourself are a hedonistic free spirit. If you can deal with these colorful aspects of Ashland, you'll do fine.

Personally, I looked in East Medford for homes before Ashland and found some really nice places that were on average 100k less for something comparable to Ashland and there is also a nice clean public park there where you can take a bike path from there all the way to Ashland.

Again, I was able to stomach living there, but I did know alot of people of a wide range of ages that after a couple years of living there, were planning on moving out. This was mainly because the couldn't fit into the specific niche that this town represents. The towns external charm lures people to move there, but something happens so some, where it becomes not what they expected.

Oregon in general has a very high unemployment rate and to find a decent paying Brick and Mortar establishment for employment(especially to pay for higher Ashland expenses) is far and few between, unless you commute to Medford.

If you like the outdoors you can live anywhere in SoOr. I like Medford, because the Rogue River and the Applegate Valley are right there and there's plenty of places to explore and picnic,camp,hike,fish,ect. within arms reach. Also the Britt outdoor ampitheater is right there in jacksonville(very pretty setting) and they book alot of big artists, so there are things to do if your young,single,married,retired.

Ashland has fun funky parades, concerts in the park and the theater, but this is not year round. You have to decide if it is worth living there for the seasonal aspect of the town.

GLTU.....

Last edited by reno51; 01-10-2010 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM

[quote=jrkliny;12380300] The incomes and educational levels of the residents are also measured. Ashland has a very high number of individuals with college degrees and above.

This is scewed data and doesn't apply to a towns real job economy. Example, I am a stock trader(mobile) and I live in a very rural area, so my income isn't directly coming from working in my area and working for local business. Yes, some of my income will go back in the town where I live(shopping) and my taxes will pay for the cities infrastructure, but my income doesn't nearly reflect the real economy of the town.

Another caveat about Ashland. The people that bought my last place from me just bought another home there recently. The only problem is they don't even live here. A lot of Californians are buying up vacation property there(maybe soon to be retirement homes eventually).

My point is that just because people are educated and have high incomes in an area, doesn't mean that they are gathering their income directly from that area and most likely getting it from an outside source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon