Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM

48 posts, read 210,299 times

Advertisements

My sister is coming from MN to visit in just two weeks...her first time visiting me since I moved out here 3 years ago and her first time in Oregon. We only have the weekend together and she and her husband will be coming to Medford by way of the Napa Valley. They do not want to drive all the way up to Portland; they'd like to stay close and they'd like to visit the coast.

What are you're favorite cities on the Oregon coast? She loves to walk and exercise, so we'll definitely want to do some hiking too. On the way, or when we get there. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:16 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
How about taking US199 over to the coast then heading north to Bandon. Pretty scenic drive through Cave Junction and the redwoods.

Nice place to stay just outside Bandon Bandon Oregon Hotel - Best Western Inn at Face Rock Hotel & Suites with a great beach right across the street for walking, etc.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
^^ Seconded. A hike through Jed Smith State Park in CA is always very nice.

It's kind of cheesy, but it's fun to go to the Prehistoric Gardens. It can be pretty peaceful to just walk in the rain forest with the dinosaurs. It's on the way up towards Bandon on 101 between Port Orford (another nice little town you might want to check out on the way) and Bandon.

For lodging, I'd personally recommend the Sunset Motel (www.sunsetmotel.com) in Bandon. My family and I have been frequenting Bandon as long as I can remember, and it's one of the best spots on the whole coast, and we always stay at the Sunset when we're there--it's a really good value. They also have a really great beach right across from the motel and views of Face Rock.

Downtown Bandon is pretty touristy, but still really fun to explore all the little shops and things. You can head up to Bullards Beach State Park just north of Bandon for more beach exploration, and I believe there is some decent hiking around there if I remember, and some good views, as well as access to the Coquille River Lighthouse. Further up north is Seven Devils Wayside with some really nice views as well, but not much else.

On your way back to I-5 from Bandon you can stop in Coquille for dinner. There's a really great Mexican restaurant there (El Tapatio on Highway 42) that I recommend. Maybe not your thing or not convenient but it's there and it's good. The drive back from the coast towards I-5 is really nice too. Not as scenic as the drive on US 199, but still nice.

Oh, also I'd avoid Lord Bennett's in Bandon. It might look alright, but it's a 'fishy' establishment. I've had family members get food poisoning from eating there.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Go to Brookings or Gold Beach, Oregon - pass right by the Oregon caves - and don't miss Jedediah Smith Redwoods at least, since you can drive right to there on the way.

40 minutes south is Prairie Creek redwoods. These pics from there can be representative of Jedediah Smith too.

Here's the link to a Brookings Harris beach image I already posted on City Data forums: Harris Beach Brookings area

Below, look for the man in the first image, under the 40,000 pound burl. I've got a bunch of big tree images online.

Attached Thumbnails
Where to take my sister on the southern Oregon coast-cottle_pano_600.jpg   Where to take my sister on the southern Oregon coast-drury_pkwy_500.jpg  

Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,271 times
Brookings. My favorite place on the S. Oregon Coast.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
How about taking US199 over to the coast then heading north to Bandon. Pretty scenic drive through Cave Junction and the redwoods.

Nice place to stay just outside Bandon Bandon Oregon Hotel - Best Western Inn at Face Rock Hotel & Suites with a great beach right across the street for walking, etc.
This is a good idea. We've stayed there and from the outside it doesn't look like much, but the rooms are cozy and pretty nice on the inside. We had a double queen room and it was really large with a balcony that had a view of the ocean. There's a decent indoor heated pool there, too, for year-round swimming and they also have a dry sauna which is really nice to have after an active day spent outdoors in the wind and cold. We really like Bandon a lot. We just camped at Cape Blanco and had a wonderful time! It was very windy when we were there, but worth the visit. We went up into the lighthouse and heard stories and well... it's a lovely place. And just north of Bandon is Shore Acres. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. If she likes to hike she'll love that area. And I also second (third? ) the suggestion for a visit to the Redwoods. Amazing.

For food in Bandon check out the Wild Rose Bistro or the High Dock Bistro if they are open? We've found that sometimes once summer is over and the crowds go home many places on the coast also close up shop... but those two places are great for really nice meals. For more casual fare you can try the Crazy Norwegian in Port Orford. We love that place.

Be sure to show her tidepools, too! I'm a Texas girl and had only ever been to beaches in Mexico or the Gulf Coast or the east coast... I nearly died the first time I saw the tidepools along Oregon cost! They are so much fun! There's nothing like them. Ask around and locals will tell you the good places to go - and get a tide schedule so you can play it safe.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
If getting to the southern Oregon coast via 199 through the Smith River canyon is in the offing, I would definitely make a stop at Stout Grove. It is one of the most impressive redwood groves anywhere.

For hiking, the Samuel Boardman corridor has lots of good short coast hikes with impressive views. I particularly like the segment from Indian Sands to Thomas Creek bridge. China Beach is also very impressive. For a very short, but beautiful hike (25 min. each way), hike down to Secret Beach from the Thunderock Cove parking lot. There is a small waterfall on the beach where Miner Creek empties onto the beach. As mentioned above, the trails around Cape Arago near Shore Acres garden just past Charleston are also wonderful. Most of the really good spots are just a bit off the beaten path.

There are four eateries at the Bandon Dunes and I would highly recommend lunch or dinner there if time allows. I think I like the Pacific Grill best. You don't have to be playing golf to eat there. There is also good dining in Old Town, but a trip to the Dunes is really worth it. Bandon would probably be the best overall destination for a compact, walkable area to explore.

Hiking to Secret Beach on a foggy summer morning.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
This is a good idea. We've stayed there and from the outside it doesn't look like much, but the rooms are cozy and pretty nice on the inside. We had a double queen room and it was really large with a balcony that had a view of the ocean. There's a decent indoor heated pool there, too, for year-round swimming and they also have a dry sauna which is really nice to have after an active day spent outdoors in the wind and cold. We really like Bandon a lot. We just camped at Cape Blanco and had a wonderful time! It was very windy when we were there, but worth the visit. We went up into the lighthouse and heard stories and well... it's a lovely place. And just north of Bandon is Shore Acres. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. If she likes to hike she'll love that area. And I also second (third? ) the suggestion for a visit to the Redwoods. Amazing.

For food in Bandon check out the Wild Rose Bistro or the High Dock Bistro if they are open? We've found that sometimes once summer is over and the crowds go home many places on the coast also close up shop... but those two places are great for really nice meals. For more casual fare you can try the Crazy Norwegian in Port Orford. We love that place.

Be sure to show her tidepools, too! I'm a Texas girl and had only ever been to beaches in Mexico or the Gulf Coast or the east coast... I nearly died the first time I saw the tidepools along Oregon cost! They are so much fun! There's nothing like them. Ask around and locals will tell you the good places to go - and get a tide schedule so you can play it safe.

Best fish and chips in Oregon. Nummers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon