Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM

758 posts, read 2,367,003 times

Advertisements

"Some people seem to have run with this thread in weird directions. That was not the intention of my OP."

Well, you were asking the rest of us to support you while you went to school, but dissing others who might well have been doing the same thing. And I think we've spent enough on jails these days, since 1% of our population is incarcerated (about FOUR TIMES the rate of 1970).

Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM

11,182 posts, read 10,960,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
"Some people seem to have run with this thread in weird directions. That was not the intention of my OP."

Well, you were asking the rest of us to support you while you went to school, but dissing others who might well have been doing the same thing. And I think we've spent enough on jails these days, since 1% of our population is incarcerated (about FOUR TIMES the rate of 1970).
Where did I dis others? I simply stated that I know a lot of people abuse OT while supporting a drug and alcohol addiction. You are either completely misunderstanding my post or you are trying to be willfully hostile. I never said that I was not willing to work. I said, in my original post, that I was currently unemployed and happened to be a full time student. My wife also got laid off from her job at that time and took a position as a CNA at half the rate she used to make.

NOT ENOUGH money goes to law enforcement, as we cannot properly house everybody that deserves to be in prison.

Did I p*ss you off somehow? Why did you come to this thread with a chip on your shoulder?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM

"Did I p*ss you off somehow? Why did you come to this thread with a chip on your shoulder?"

I'm not irritated at all. You chose to go to school and let the rest of us support you, but you whine about others using the system. Farm folk call this "complaining with your mouth full."

I'm not the one calling for increased imprisonment (did you know our incarceration rate is the highest in the industrial world?)

Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM

"while useless, lazy, meth addled trash that lies their asses off gets to enjoy hundreds of dollars a month in these benefits and many of them trade much of them away for drugs and alcohol."

Am I the one with the chip on the shoulder? Just sayin'. And here I wasn't even complaining about feeding you while you went to school - or paying for health care for your kid.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:53 PM

908 posts, read 1,656,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
WIC is great.. the woman in our area who runs it can be a pain in the rear from time to time. Our child is doing great and she will sit there and insist we feed her this or that.. example.. our child is alergic to a certain type of milk not all milk just the D milk i think it is.. the red labeled milk but does beautifully on 2%. Well we went rounds and rounds with her on how it was endangering our daughter to let her drink 2% and alergic or not she needed the D milk. It's just frustrating some of the time but all in all we love it and it definatly helps a lot.
all commercially available milk, whatever percent milkfat it has, is D milk, so you aren't making any sense. if your daughter is allergic to the form of D in milk, then make sure she gets plenty of sunshine as that is the best source of vitamin D. the worker was right in being adamant about getting plenty of D- that is how to build healthy bones, teeth, etc. But get it in a different form, read up on it.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
WIC = Women, Infant, Children

Its a supplemental nutrition program where you get vouchers that you can redeem for specific food items like Milk, Cheese, Cereal, Etc...

WIC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it's to make sure that new & nursing moms, babies and toddlers get their proper nutrients in a very important phase of their development. only available to them, not older kids, not other women, not men. you get vouchers for specific very nutritious foods.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM

11,182 posts, read 10,960,959 times
Quote:
You chose to go to school and let the rest of us support you, but you whine about others using the system. Farm folk call this "complaining with your mouth full."

I'm not the one calling for increased imprisonment (did you know our incarceration rate is the highest in the industrial world?)
Since you want to go there, when I started back at school we were not utilizing any state benefits. We we're doing just fine until my wife got laid off. And you seem to not be able to differentiate between people who are using OT legally and those that are abusing it. There is nothing that says a family in which a member of the household attends school is ineligible for benefits. But there ARE guidelines as to the "trading" of benefits for other "goods". And as for increased imprisonment, this is off topic.

Quote:
And here I wasn't even complaining about feeding you while you went to school - or paying for health care for your kid.
Our son was never on state health care. We applied for it, but did not get it. This is why he is no longer with us. I worked my ass off for close to 20 years paying into the system before we tried to utilize it. How dare you say you fed me while I went to school.

You have some issues and I am tired of feeding the trolls. Get lost.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM

minervah, i really hope that you could at least get foodstamps in your situation. the only way they might deny them is if they were basing your eligibility on last year's income. things got extra tight under certain conservative administrations, hopefully they have loosened up the eligibility. particularly for those in danger of homelessness, there have been a few changes in certain benefit areas in oregon. But still, for those who are destitute, basic life sustaining benefits should be available and they are NOT usually, for the average able bodied adult.
(to the OP)On the other hand, if I were making 25,000 a year with 2 adults, i wouldn't be complaining at all. It might take some adjusting, but that's what you have to do when your income goes down. Benefits are for those in poverty, who can't sustain themselves with any amount of adjusting. For instance, disabled people whose only income is ssi, which maxes out at a whopping $670 per month at the top benefit. Try living on that and oh, about $160 in foodstamps, and see how you feel. Don't whine about it any more, you're making people sick.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,728,507 times
Moderator's Note:

A couple of folks need to settle down a bit and take their private issues over to DM.........or maybe just let it slide.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Okay... my closing statement
I spent ten years going to school at night to earn my AS degree after dropping out of high school. I got my BS pretty much the same way; after having been laid off, I got a job at UPS - a good union job, and still available today, because 80% of their new hires can't last three months. I worked from 2:30 AM to about 8:00, then went to my full course load. At no time did I take any public assistance, but: Yes I did, because community and state colleges are subsidized by taxpayers, which I think is great (though the Oregon system now gets only 12% of its funding from the state).
In turn, I paid this back, as my income increased, and with it, my taxes. That's the way California worked through the 1960s, and it's largely responsible for the creation of Silicon Valley.

For anyone: Part-time jobs at UPS are available. They come with benefits and paid vacation. The physical work, as noted, is intense; only 20% survive three months (I was there 2.5 years, to be clear).
Wal-Mart is also constantly hiring; their annual turnover is about 50%. They don't pay well, but you will eat.
When the state college system is well-funded (CA spends more on prisons than higher education these days; those lines crossed a few years back) employers are more likely to pay for education. For example, my master's degree - completely employer-paid - cost $800 per semester, plus books. Of course, my taxes were higher then as well. But the point is that the opportunity was there for those willling to take advantage of it.

Oregon is a low-tax state by comparison with California, though the two-legged stool (of property tax and income tax only) make the rate appear high. With low taxes come low benefits. The OHP was a great idea, but it has fought for funding ever since its establishment.

Thanks for reading.
Smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: