Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,628 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are a family of 6 thinking of relocating to the Oregon coast from Alaska. I just have a few questions if anyone could help.

My kids love to play soccer and I was wondering if any towns on the coast have soccer? We were thinking of Coos Bay, but would like some more information if possible. We also like Cannon Beach and Seaside. My husband is an artist and that is our main income.

I was also wondering about the school systems in the towns along the coast.

I have looked over these posts and there seems to be alot of talk about a meth problem...does it appear to be any worse along the coast than any other towns in the country? How is the crime rate?

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 05:58 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
my husband coaches soccer here in Coos Bay. theres a few options for soccer players out here. Boys and Girls club has fall and spring soccer, and theres also a traveling league that seems to be quite competitive.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamother View Post
I have looked over these posts and there seems to be alot of talk about a meth problem...does it appear to be any worse along the coast than any other towns in the country? How is the crime rate?
Meth is a drug of poverty. Its use will be more prevalent in parts of the country where employment prospects are poor and unemployment is high. That could certainly include most of the coast, but I wouldn't say that the coast is particularly meth-ridden as a broad generalization. You can find crime rates on the CD website for any target community.

Retirement and tourism are the lifeblood of the coast. Compared to other parts of the state, wages are lower and cost of living is higher. For many careers, there is essentially no opportunity at all in most communities on the coast. You shouldn't expect to find the level of infrastructure and support for schools and other family-friendly institutions that come in areas of the state that have a solid economic base. The coast is primarily for retirees, tourists and those with marine-based livelihoods (who are quickly going broke, BTW!). If school quality and family-friendly amenities are a major concern, you should focus on the Willamette Valley.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:03 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times
Alaskamother,
If you put Coos Bay in the search field, theres several threads with others having the same questions/concerns as yours and peoples replies. You might find it helpful getting several different opinions.
BTW, Ive lived here in Coos Bay for 7yrs, and my kiddos range from 7yrs -15yrs, Id be happy to answer more questions you might have if you want...you can always DM me too.
Best of luck!!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,628 times
Thank you everyone for your quick responses! I will put Coos bay in the search field. That is another area that my husband is really interested in!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:32 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Imagine the forum posting in about 2 years

Quote:
Family in Coos Bay with 4 teenagers wants more info about the west Portland suburbs

There are a few decent soccer fields in the west Portland metro area. Used to play myself in the 80s.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 AM

218 posts, read 580,244 times
Steve is giving the most accurate depiction here. I lived on the coast and can vouch for all that he says. My friends still in Tillamook county and along the northern coast of OR still say things haven't changed. Just as logging jobs dried up, same with many family fishing businesses in places like Garibaldi have gone the way of history as well. If you have teenagers I would suggest the Williamette valley as well. There is one business that seems to thrive along the OR coast - pricey rehab places/spas for the rich and addicted.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM

58 posts, read 298,051 times
The Oregon Coast is a great place to visit would not a very good place to live.

The schools are sub par and GOOD housing prices are over inflated.

Maybe consider moving 3 hrs inland to Bend. Can't go wrong there.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
If you are worried about crime the coast has its share. Coos County is the (and this is official) Meth Capital of Oregon. But I love it here and I don't do any drugs. I also carry 24/7 and was a shift commander at the Arizona State Prison, so I don't worry a lot about crime. If your looking for work, not a good choice even with the best of luck.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
I remember Coos Bay back in the 70's and 80's, jobs were not hard to find, the timber industry was big and the fishing industry was huge. One could get a job on a fishing boat, mill work or logging, I think the unemployment rate was around 4 to 5%. Man! have times changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon