Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,055 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear your opinion about Lincoln City, OR.

We drove around this area a few weeks ago and I really like it. Seems like a lot of families live around the Devils Lake Area. I like that it has a Lake and the ocean. I didn't see a lot of homes for sale and not one foreclosure/bank owed.

How are the schools? Jr. High and High?
How are the people in the area?
Does this area have anything bad going on?
How is the weather year round? Wind, Fog, Snow and Rain.
How are the property taxes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,312 times
I don't know if I can answer all of your questions, but we moved to LC about 2 years ago and we love it! I can't tell you much about the schools because we homeschool. I would look into it though, there is a lot of negativity surrounding Taft High. It is a 7-12 grade high school. We have made alot of friends and I have found people to be very friendly for the most part. There are quite a few mature retired people in this communtiy, more than the norm. I don't mind the gray weather. Just don't move too close to the beach and stay at the north end of town. We live north and it will be nice and sunny, but when I drive down south it can be very foggy and misty. Property taxes can be high if you live within city limits. We pay close to $3000 a year for a home appraised at about $215K. If you look right now there are lots of homes for sale. It seems in the last month there is a house for sale on most streets. My street alone has 4 houses for sale. They tend to be overpriced at first. You have to be a little patient. Over all I think this is a great place to live.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
I am fairly familiar with the area. That section of the Oregon Coast is becoming home to more and more retirees, generally with money. Many are coming in from California or other points out of state. There is a belief (perhaps a valid one) that the clean sea air that sweeps through the area is very good for the lungs, and every morning along the beach you'll see elderly couples taking their strolls.

The reverse side of this phenomenon is that the youth population of the whole county is declining. High schools have shrunken over the years. The schools are fine in terms of academics and safety issues, but there is a concern that the number of AP or advanced class options is dropping as the number of students continues to fall. All the same, Lincoln County schools have sent several kids off to Harvard, Stanford, MIT, and other elite colleges in recent years, so, the potential is there.

But it's something to think about. Also, Lincoln City is nice, but its main road - the stretch of Highway 20 that cuts through town - is often overcrowded and ugly. If that's all you see, you'd probably have a poor impression of Lincoln City. During hot summer days in Portland, expect a stream of cars and RVs to flow down from Highway 18 to Highway 101, and then into town, clogging things up. There is a large outlet mall right along Highway 101 where things often get slow.

Locals use Jetty Ave. and Harbor Ave. (closer to the beach than Highway 101) to avoid the traffic if they don't need anything along 101.

However, it is a very scenic area, and you're right about Devil's Lake - it's an oblong lake with lots of shorefront considering its relatively small area, meaning that most houses near the water have boat slips nearby. If you can afford a property there, you'll probably like it.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:50 AM

59 posts, read 92,582 times
Off topic a bit, but a baby sea lion washed up and hit me in the foot once while walking in the surf. I LOVE Lincoln City for vacationing... I never leave the beach, its never crowded there!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

I really like this area and keep coming back to it. It doesn't bother me seeing more seniors....shhh, I'm married to one! LOL Actually our area here has lots of seniors in the area. Our last home on the lake had nothing but seniors for several years. They bought in the 60s, raised their family and stayed during their retirement. A few of them sold in the 90s and young families started moving in.

I would rather find the kids a school with low class sizes. I'm a bit tired of seeing them lost in a classroom with 32 kids.

It would be nice to find a nice property with a house & small business on it.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Wow there is a lot of homes for sale now in this area.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,010 times
I'm moving to Lincoln City in December - from Minnesota! That's helpful advice about Jetty and Harbor Avenues. I hear that 101 is crazy in the summer season. What is the best way to get up to Portland? I'll need to go there about once a week.
Nancy

Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,979 times
Hwy 18 to Hwy 22 about 35-40 minutes. Continue on Hwy 22 through Salem to I-5, another 40 minutes. North on I-5 to Portland around 30 - 40 minutes.
This route is longer in total miles than other routes, but is faster yer round. I have traveled from L.C. to Portland at least 1 or 2 times a week for the past 5 yrears. I can honestly say I have traveled every possible route I could think of to try and save time. This was the best time saver.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,523 times
we are moving to lc in march.. hubby is going to occc.. do you think its possible to find a job that pays 1000.00 a month. nervous about the economy on the coast.. how is it.? thanks

Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Maybe, that's minimum wage. Try the outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon