U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,897,507 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of maknig the transition from Southern California, Orange County to Dallas, Oregon in the next 6 months to a year. We are not originally from SoCal. We have been here two years and although there are so many things we love about it, we are trying to start a family and all her family is back in Oregon and mine is back in St. Louis, MO. So we'd much prefer OR to MO.

Right now we are renting a townhome and our lease is up in January. It's just us two and no kids. I'm 30 and she is 33. Her family lives on 80 acres in Dallas. She grew up there. We both have great solid jobs with good income here in OC. I'm an RN and she is in retail management. I have two years of acute care hospital experience so I'm not too worried about finding a job, preferably with Salem Hospital. We plan on living with her parents possibly for a while so we can save some money for a house.

Her family is great but I still have my reservations about moving in with the in laws. I also have some reservations regarding the culture shock going from SoCal to a small town. We both love to visit and it's kind of our dream to live in a small town. But our dream and reality are two different things. I really like Portland and the surrouding suburbs so that's always a possibility. Like I said we have no kids yet and think OR would be a better fit for us to raise a family instead of the culture in SoCal.

Any advice? Maybe others who have made the transition? I know the OR economy is one of the worst in the country right now. I've also heard the public school system is not as great as CA because of lack of sales taxes etc. Is that true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 PM

15,142 posts, read 37,589,682 times
California schools rank worse than Oregon in general. Smartest State 2006-2007 is just one link showing rankings by state.

I wouldn't bet on getting a job here as a nurse. It is difficult even for nurses these days. Since you guys are portable without kids it might make sense to live with the inlaws while you figure out if you want to live closer to Portland.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 AM

2,409 posts, read 2,897,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
California schools rank worse than Oregon in general. Smartest State 2006-2007 is just one link showing rankings by state.

I wouldn't bet on getting a job here as a nurse. It is difficult even for nurses these days. Since you guys are portable without kids it might make sense to live with the inlaws while you figure out if you want to live closer to Portland.
I'm not betting on it but with my experience, ACLS/PCCN/NIH stroke certification, 2 years acute care on a telemtry unit I've definitely got a leg up on the competition. Plus I'm a tall young good looking male LOL.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,186,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I'm not betting on it but with my experience, ACLS/PCCN/NIH stroke certification, 2 years acute care on a telemtry unit I've definitely got a leg up on the competition. Plus I'm a tall young good looking male LOL.
Actually the ACLS and PCCN are pretty much run-of-the-mill standard credentials for hospital-employed RNs here. You might be able to find work, but you should expect to start at the bottom (meaning night shift) and spend a year or more there.

The advice you'll get over and over on this forum is that NOBODY with solid work should try and make a discretional move during a recession...or a "jobless recovery" of an economic contraction. Better to wait until the unemployment numbers start to trend in the opposite direction.

There are also some important you-can't-go-back lessons about geographic proximity to family. While you may suffer estrangement from family when far away, and the pleasure of visits may engender thoughts of being closer, beware overcompensating by moving right into the community where you have family. A bit of geographic space is a very healthy thing for family relations. I can't tell you how many relationships have been destroyed by excessive family gathering.

Last edited by Steve97415; 10-12-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

15,142 posts, read 37,589,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I can't tell you how many relationships have been destroyed by excessive family gathering.

I always need a vacation after I visit my family

BUT I can also say that if they were 1-2 hours away that would be perfect. We could drop the kids off for an overnight every so often. I think it depends on how well you get along with the family. When our kids were really young it was so hard seeing other friends with family in the area getting some really nice support from their family members. Ours are several states away.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Dear SoCalCroozer: By now you have decided to move or not, but my experience as an RN moving from San Jose to Corvallis (about 25 min form Dallas) has all been positive. The schools are so much better in Oregon there is no comparison. You will have no trouble getting a job, and will move into day shift quickly. Even if you want to live and work in a different area you can easily commute form the inlaw's as traffic is generally not a problem out side of metro Portland. Don't forget about the hospitals in Dallas and in Corvallis. Your spouse may have trouble getting a job that satisfies her monetarily. Retail jobs just don't pay that well here. The lifestyle is different, internet buying is a bigger thing and lots of times we just order through stores and wait the 2 weeks for delivery. seems like lots of niches for starting service/retail businesses though. We moved here and the lifestyle is so much better for children and parents. Most smaller stores and some restaurants have a "kids corner" with toys to amuse the little ones while the parents are shopping. Children and parents (and teachers) are respected here, while I found in California the attitude was more like, "these people are creating a hassle for me with their brats". I started on nights so my husband and I could take care of the kids ourselves all the time, I moved into days when I was ready to go, no problem. I think if you are interested in floor nursing you are in a good position, only if you want a specialty day shift weeknds off job you will have a problem.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM

9,859 posts, read 11,130,217 times
Why, oh why did none of you who saw this when it was current tell the o.p. not to do it?? Over 30 and moving in with the parents is what you do when you have no other option. That can't be just me that thinks so. I also think the o.p.'s chances for a hospital job are decent because of their stated qualifications. Given that a small apt. is very doable. Just my take.

H

Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,317,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Why, oh why did none of you who saw this when it was current tell the o.p. not to do it?? Over 30 and moving in with the parents is what you do when you have no other option. That can't be just me that thinks so. I also think the o.p.'s chances for a hospital job are decent because of their stated qualifications. Given that a small apt. is very doable. Just my take.

H
Dude, the parents have 80 acres. It's not like they're moving into a 1-bedroom apartment!

Also, some people get along really well with their parents. That said, I would never, ever move back in with my mom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>