Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times

Advertisements

Nowhere in Oregon has decent employment but I still think Bend comes the closest to what you are looking for...minus employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchtheShore View Post
I see my expectations were set unreasonably high, but you have to start somewhere, and it's best not to start at the bottom.

So what would be your suggestions for towns anywhere in Oregon? I'm guessing southern Oregon. Somewhere that's warm ish/sunny-ish. Anywhere in Oregon, scratch the beach, I can drive there a few times per month even if it's a few hundred miles away.
Some place semi-affordable with a decent employment rate and access to a bigger city. I come from a town of 30,000 so... a bigger city to me is anything bigger than that lol
A nice town, with parks and lots of places to walk or sit and read or do yoga.

I'm looking in to the SAD lamp ASAP... is it like Prozac in a light bulb?? Thanks Malachai you've been so helpful!

You guys have already given me quite a few suggestions like Eugene and Corvallis, I'll be looking in to those more. St.Helens is still kinda on my list.
TouchTheShore - I could've sworn I saw something about copping out in Idaho Falls earlier hehehe. Well, here's my two cents - the employment situation is tough in Oregon right now but it is tough right now in most places. So as long as you are going to be picking up and moving somewhere brand new, you might as well go where your heart tells you to go! Just my two cents. I think you are wise to be researching ahead of time. You have decent savings. If you end up somewhere for a few months and haven't found a job yet, you will still have savings at that point and you will still have options. I'm not saying everything is going to turn out perfect for you, but I am a firm believer in going where your heart tells you to go. Sometimes things fall right into place. Sometimes they don't - so be prepared for that. But sometimes they do.

"Sunny-ish" Oregon would be yes, Southern Oregon, and anywhere east of the Cascades. Now "warm-ish" in those areas would only be in the summer. They can get darn cold in the winter... more like what you are probably used to in Montana - crisp, cold, sunny. The NW part of Oregon is unique with its moderate temps & heavy liquid precip, although ironically that is what so many people picture the whole state to be like!

Now as far as towns over 30,000 outside of the rainy quadrant - there are not many of them. You can look them up - off the top of my head, let's see, down South you have Grants Pass, Roseburg, Medford. I think that is pretty much it. Maybe Klamath Falls? Is that over 30k? I wouldn't exactly say any of those places have your zen-like appeal. Although Medford is only a 10 minute drive from Ashland, which is a nice little zen-like place. Now east of the Cascades you have the Bend area, as Silverfall mentioned, and I also think you would really like it there! Other larger towns east of the Cascade, off the top of my head, would be Ontario, Baker City, Pendleton, LaGrande, The Dalles. I am not sure about the populations though. I think if you were looking east of the Cascades you should look at Bend. West of the Cascades, maybe Medford - or Eugene if you invest in that "Prozac in a bulb"!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
If you want to get away from family, maybe Eugene isn't a good place for you? If that isn't THE family you were originally referring to, perhaps you could rent a room from them.

There are a lot of room rental/sharing opps in Eugene (craigslist is a good resource for that) but it runs at least $400/month and if you have pets: it's a huge challenge to find a pet friendly landlord...

My doctor prescribed prescription strength vitamin D for me & it did wonders. I felt like I was high for the first few months, indestructible.

Kate

Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM

25 posts, read 99,099 times
I promise I won't hijack this thread but per
Malachai23:

"You can get ocean + sun but - close to city".

Would Medford fit this bill?

I currently live in Las Vegas, NV and enjoy the
dryness to a certain extent so was thinking of
Medford but cannot seem to find a big city any-
where?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
I really think a place like Ukiah, California might meet your needs. Warm and sunny in summer, with the coast nearby and San Fran a few hours south. Grants Pass or Medford/Ashland Oregon would also be close, with all except Ashland quite affordable. However, the economy in S. Oregon is terrible right now, so bear that in mind.

Best Wishes!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Have you considered Ashland? It has many restaurants, is a college town with younger people around, lots of retirees who spend money in the community, volunteer and make sure the library stays open. The weather is not too harsh, it is a 'healing' kind of place if you're into that and has a lovely downtown. It's an hour-and-a-half from the ocean but the closer to the ocean you get, the drearier the weather. I'm a beach person through and through but wouldn't consider living full time on the coast. I LOVE to visit it.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
It's an hour-and-a-half from the ocean
An hour and a half? By helicopter maybe! Ashland is 126 miles from the nearest seawater north of Crescent City. To do that in an hour and a half in a car, you'd have to average 84 mph...through the "narrows" on twisty-turny hwy 199 through the Smith River Canyon. Even then, you'd have at least another 10 miles to get to a decent beach. If I can get to Cave Junction from the coast in 90 min., I figure I'm making great time. Ashland is from 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. each way depending on hwy 199 conditions and traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon