Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,942 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I been browsing the forums for quite some time now and finally just joined to see what I can get out of!

Recently, My wife and I held a conversation regarding places we would like to settle to raise our growing family! She added Oregon to the mix and at first I was skeptical, BUT I ended up doing some research, and I am loving what I am seeing!

A little bit about ourselves. I am currently Active duty Air Force, stationed in Nor. Cal. I have approx: 1 1/2 years left in service and looking to start my teaching career (secondary school) wife is a caterer looking to start a small business (restaurant). We have two kids of the growing age of 6 and 2 and looking to add in the future.

Now, what we are looking for. I have always been a city person. I love the city, San Francisco would def. be a place I would consider if I was single =P. My wife on the other hand likes her suburban areas... Not too country but not the city if she was to choose we would live in Davis,CA. Nightlife would be a (+) and a great music scene as well. Crime (moderate/low) School (Good) Housing (spacious living) Community (friendly/family oriented/diversed community) Close shopping areas. Wife is vary bohemish shiekish so she likes Self owned shops; ie boardwalks/marketplace and she wanted me to add farmers marketplace!

I believe I covered most of it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM

15,513 posts, read 40,248,020 times
Honestly I think Portland would be a good fit. Not sure what you can afford so that will make a difference about what areas are recommended to you.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,453,513 times
I think the Portland area would be the only fit. Teaching jobs are very few and far between here so you may as well go to the largest market. For people who like both SF and Davis, Portland should work out well.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 PM

21 posts, read 64,927 times
Portlad sounds perfect for both of you---city and bohemian in one, has outlying suburbs to live in

Old 10-22-2009, 03:12 PM

899 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Hi
Hows things at Travis we lived in Suisun for years and shopped at the commissary..
On coming up here if your retiring, keep in mind there are no real commissaries or exchanges to shop in but the food prices aren't that bad either..Oregon is just a neat place to call home..
welcome to oregon

Old 10-23-2009, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,942 times
First, Thank you for your responses! We have looked into Portland I myself like what I have read about it, I would very much like to visit and see for myself. My wife is a bit hesitant about it, she looked into crime rate and didn't see the numbers she liked... hopefully when we visit she would have a change of heart =D She requested for any outlaying towns in midst of Portland.

I also forgot to add and I don't know if it makes a difference... I am a Water Polo/Swimmer so I am looking for a place that has those sports available. I coach it as well so High schools with those two would be GREAT!

As for Travis! What can I say, its Travis... still windy but its growing. The community is still very much military but outer cities/towns are growing... We like the area but California is just to much to bare at the present moment.

Once again Thank you for those who replied.

P.S. Any info on Eugene that one can share... Pros/Cons. thanks!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,445,483 times
Water polo & swimming :

Lake Oswego High School

JMHO, but your wife shouldn't worry about crime rates here. There are many suburbs very close to Portland which statistically have a low rate of crime. And remember, those stats can spike with one hoodlum breaking into five or six houses. Superficially, the stats don't mean much.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,715,901 times
Glad to hear you asking about Eugene. I was going to suggest it. It is very much like Davis in some ways-midsized college town. But it is a bit larger and has some more liveliness too. A crazy sports town, so I suspect your could find water polo. Eugene is particularly close to lovely areas. The McKenzie River Canyon to the east and the Oregon Dunes to the west. Nice! All of NW Oregon would be quite a change in the weather though. Well over twice as rainy and cloudy days as the delta area. Nice greenery around though! More going on in Portland, but it is a bigger, more congested city. Neither is bad, so come up and scope them out!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,155,355 times
Lived for a time in Fairfield and Suisun...understand the "windy" comment...

I'd second taking a look at Eugene. Given what you've said about being a "city person" kind of limits you in Oregon, as there are only a couple of places that most folks would really classify as "city"...and small ones at that. That said, Eugene and Portland either would probably fit...you need to visit as both have a different "vibe".

I've often said that Eugene is kind of schizophrenic in that you have a real mix of folks--you have the college/granola liberals, anarchists, eco-folks of all stripes, along with this group of logger/sawmill/industrial-type conservative folks with a sizable retiree population mixed in with hunter/fishers of all political stripes. It makes for an interesting town with something for everybody.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM

11 posts, read 29,784 times
It sounds to me like the Portland area is a good fit, but that leaves you a great deal to choose from. My cousin is with the Portland PD and a number of police officer have built or bought housing in the Vancouver, WA area in places like Brush Prairie, Battle Ground or still in Oregon you can check out West Linn, Oregon City, Gresham, Beaverton, etc.
I personally think the area where I live is God's country, but would probably be to rural for you. However if you like a dryer climate you might want to Check out the Richland/Pasco/Kennewick area known as the Tri-Cities, WA. It has a growing population and lots to do. Or Walla Walla isn't the big but is beautiful and historic with wonderful parks, Whitman College and Walla Walla Com. College to bring in things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon