Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,037 times

Advertisements

Derby, I love Spokane. I think it's a lovely and surprisingly quirky city. I would actually prefer to live in Spokane over Bend. Of course there is always going to be a "rednecky" element to any city that is surrounded by hundreds of miles of nothing - LOL - but I think you will find that Spokane actually has a great mix of people. It is a lot more "live and let live" than anything nearby, that's for sure. I actually like the downtown part - that would be where I would live if I lived there. But then again I don't have a family. I have never felt unsafe in Spokane. Yah, it's a little "gritty" compared to more Metropolitan areas, but you can also find top notch dining and all the major ammenities right there in town. And Boise is not too far of a drive if you wanted to change it up for the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM

45 posts, read 113,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You know I grew up in Illinois and had horrible hay fever there. Was on allergy meds every fall AND an inhaler.

I get scratchy eyes out here every so often. No meds, no inhaler. I live in the valley. Yes, I don't think you would be problem free out here, but I think it might be more of an occasional irritation. OTOH, you may find that are seriously allergic to something we have out here. I have a friend who had no allergy problems in the valley who moved to Bend and is allergic to a kind of tree out there.

Is is possible for you guys to visit Portland during May and August for a couple of weeks? You know, kind of "test out" the allergy situation?
You're spot on, Silverfall, as there are ultimately no guarantees that we won't be severly allergic to something in a new area that is not otherwise found here. It's a gamble but there are so many things locally that are high or moderate on our lists that I think we have good odds. Sorry to hear about your friend who moved to Bend, that's terrible to hear. Is it a dealbreaker and do they intend to stay there?

Love the idea of doing a test run of the allergies in spring or fall but can't make this happen. I'm a school psychologist for our home school corp. and since we're off several weeks in the summer (my summers are much shorter than teachers), the powers that be understandably would frown on leaving for an extended time, especially during our "peak" times in our central office. Plus I'm already playing catch up now, when I started the original post I was out after contracting H1N1...was nearly recovered from that and then got hit with sinus infection and double ear infection. Yet another reminder to relocate as I was out nearly 2 weeks total.

In looking at the data, Portland historically has done very well in terms of low pollen scores in the fall...on the rare occasion the numbers shift, it's been in the spring--same with Seattle and Spokane so I suspect this is a trend for the PNW. Again, I love the Gorge but am reluctant to put down roots where there is an excessive lack of sunshine. I don't need Cali sun, just would prefer more than Portland. Still, we're not ruling it out at this point and I have a feeling that even after we do all our homework, visits, etc., it may ultimately be Portland that has the job offering. (Last I checked they still had a position unfilled for this year--obviously the later we go in the school year the less likely it will be filled.)

Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
Derby, I love Spokane. I think it's a lovely and surprisingly quirky city. I would actually prefer to live in Spokane over Bend. Of course there is always going to be a "rednecky" element to any city that is surrounded by hundreds of miles of nothing - LOL - but I think you will find that Spokane actually has a great mix of people. It is a lot more "live and let live" than anything nearby, that's for sure. I actually like the downtown part - that would be where I would live if I lived there. But then again I don't have a family. I have never felt unsafe in Spokane. Yah, it's a little "gritty" compared to more Metropolitan areas, but you can also find top notch dining and all the major ammenities right there in town. And Boise is not too far of a drive if you wanted to change it up for the day!
Malachi23, that's very encouraging to hear! What do you mean by quirky? Yes, if we were childless our entire approach to this relocation would be different...come to think of it if we were childless I'd probably just go on with my allergies the way I've always done and not put all the effort into relocating.

What do you like about Spokane? I know it's comparing apples & oranges, but how would you compare Bend/Sisters area vs. Spokane or Ashland/Jville vs. Spokane? It sounds like there's a lot of beautiful natural scenery around Spokane. How would you describe it? It sounds far "greener" and lusher than Boise. OTOH, I see it gets downright cold in Spokane. Again, there will be concessions anywhere & everywhere but we just have to figure out which best meets our needs and what we can live with and/or without.

edforco

Old 11-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyFever View Post
Malachi23, that's very encouraging to hear! What do you mean by quirky? Yes, if we were childless our entire approach to this relocation would be different...come to think of it if we were childless I'd probably just go on with my allergies the way I've always done and not put all the effort into relocating.

What do you like about Spokane? I know it's comparing apples & oranges, but how would you compare Bend/Sisters area vs. Spokane or Ashland/Jville vs. Spokane? It sounds like there's a lot of beautiful natural scenery around Spokane. How would you describe it? It sounds far "greener" and lusher than Boise. OTOH, I see it gets downright cold in Spokane. Again, there will be concessions anywhere & everywhere but we just have to figure out which best meets our needs and what we can live with and/or without.

edforco
Well, I like Spokane because I think it is quite progressive for being such a small city. It has a surprisingly large arts community with lots of galleries and such. It has some really great dining spots. But I especially like that I have found it "quirky" - for lack of a better word. I guess by that I mean that there are little shops, restaurants, etc. in little nooks and crannies here and there that I just wouldn't expect to be there - just neat little independent businesses all over - with a lot of grit (as well as newer development) in between. It's a hodgepodge of architecture spanning centuries. And I like that the residents are across the entire socio-economic, political, and religious spectrum. It may not be too diverse as far as race goes, but attitudes are definitely diverse. I have always though the people I've met/encountered there to be very down-to-earth.

Yah - to compare it to the Bend area would be like apples to oranges. But I would say that Spokane definitely feels larger -and more "city-like". Although Bend has all sorts of people living in it, it still has that "come from California with lots of money and retire here"/resort type feel to it. Now it's not ALL like that by any stretch. But there is that element. I'm probably going to get flamed for saying that. eek!! But you will not find that in Spokane at all. Both cities are very "outdoorsy" and will attract a lot of winter as well as summer recreation types. Both have ski areas really close by. Yes, I'd say Spokane is a lot greener. It does get cold, but so does Bend. I would almost say Spokane has more of a Midwest climate, minus the humidity. I'd venture to say it has four real seasons. Oh, and Spokane doesn't have that "Western" theme to anything!! haha!! I personally think the Bend area is more picturesque. Oh - and there is a big college in Spokane (Gonzaga) so you will have college sports there... I don't know if you are into that or not. You will have a lot more of a variety of civic and other events in Spokane just due to its size.

OK - now back down to Ashland and Jacksonville (I'm getting dizzy!!) - again, Jacksonville is VERY VERY small. And isolated. Ashland is also on the smaller side and also isolated (but not as much as Jacksonville - Ashland is at least right off the interstate). Really, Jacksonville is SMALL. It is WAY too small for me. I would go crazy there with nothing to do, having little to no basic needs shopping options, and seeing the same people day in and day out and having them all in my business. Ashland (where I used to live) was bad enough in that regard. Again, Ashland is VERY touristy. Also - VERY new-agey. ***VERY*** liberal. VERY expensive. You will see a lot of hippies walking around and new-agey types... think tarot cards, drum circles, import stores, vegetarian restaurants, Volvos, Subarus, etc. There is a small college there (but no major sports) and an Elizabethan Theatre that attracts hoards of tourists from all over the country and world. Ashland is a beautiful town. Very picturesque. It has a dense and lively "Main Street" area and a BEAUTIFUL park (Google: "Lithia Park"). I really don't think it can be compared at all to Bend or Spokane. It's really just completely different from any other town in the Pacific NW.

Hope that helps!!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Well, I like Spokane because I think it is quite progressive for being such a small city. It has a surprisingly large arts community with lots of galleries and such. It has some really great dining spots. But I especially like that I have found it "quirky" - for lack of a better word. I guess by that I mean that there are little shops, restaurants, etc. in little nooks and crannies here and there that I just wouldn't expect to be there - just neat little independent businesses all over - with a lot of grit (as well as newer development) in between. It's a hodgepodge of architecture spanning centuries. And I like that the residents are across the entire socio-economic, political, and religious spectrum. It may not be too diverse as far as race goes, but attitudes are definitely diverse. I have always though the people I've met/encountered there to be very down-to-earth.
I'm liking what I'm hearing. A lot actually! I thought that's what you meant by quirky but it's a subjective term. I spent more time cking into Spokane today and it's won a few nominations for being family-friendly, one from Reader's Digest. So lots of good signs and we'll definitely keep it on the list. Unfortunately the list is thus far comprising cities that will be quite a drive from one another when we finally do make the trek...wouldn't be so far if we didn't have the 2 year-old back seat driver who likes to yell "Go fast!" 175 times. Suddenly a 20 minute drive can feel like 2 hours. LOL!

Quote:
Yah - to compare it to the Bend area would be like apples to oranges. But I would say that Spokane definitely feels larger -and more "city-like". Although Bend has all sorts of people living in it, it still has that "come from California with lots of money and retire here"/resort type feel to it. Now it's not ALL like that by any stretch. But there is that element. I'm probably going to get flamed for saying that. eek!! But you will not find that in Spokane at all. Both cities are very "outdoorsy" and will attract a lot of winter as well as summer recreation types. Both have ski areas really close by. Yes, I'd say Spokane is a lot greener. It does get cold, but so does Bend. I would almost say Spokane has more of a Midwest climate, minus the humidity. I'd venture to say it has four real seasons. Oh, and Spokane doesn't have that "Western" theme to anything!! haha!! I personally think the Bend area is more picturesque. Oh - and there is a big college in Spokane (Gonzaga) so you will have college sports there... I don't know if you are into that or not. You will have a lot more of a variety of civic and other events in Spokane just due to its size.
Congrats, Malachi, you've made it through the whole day without getting flamed! But wait...I'm realizing the westies are 4 hours behind us so maybe you're not safe just yet. I've looked at weather stats. from weatherbase.com and the summer temps. in Spokane sound perfect (July hi 83/lo 55) though winter temps. are downright well...freezing (Jan. 32/20). I see there's an avg. 50.4 inches of snow, which I can live with and actually sounds beautiful, though the hubby would probably have a few choice comments every time he had to shovel snow. Ha! As for the Bend area, the various small towns are actually quite variable with Bend being a bit cooler than its neighbors and also getting the most snow (33.5 inches/year compared to Redmond @ 16.8). I like the Bend winter temps. over Spokane (Bend Jan.41/21)...love the avg. July high in Bend at 82 though 45.3 as a low sounds VERY cold for July! I love the idea of living in a picturesque place that inspires you to just want to get out of bed each morning. I'd love to be surrounded by some gorgeous scenery. A friend of mine in grad.school @ Ball State attended Gonzaga and for such a small school you sure hear a lot about it in the Midwest, though didn't realize it was in Spokane. It'd be a nice plus to be near--but not right on top off--colleges for down the road...

Quote:
OK - now back down to Ashland and Jacksonville (I'm getting dizzy!!) - again, Jacksonville is VERY VERY small. And isolated. Ashland is also on the smaller side and also isolated (but not as much as Jacksonville - Ashland is at least right off the interstate). Really, Jacksonville is SMALL. It is WAY too small for me. I would go crazy there with nothing to do, having little to no basic needs shopping options, and seeing the same people day in and day out and having them all in my business. Ashland (where I used to live) was bad enough in that regard. Again, Ashland is VERY touristy. Also - VERY new-agey. ***VERY*** liberal. VERY expensive. You will see a lot of hippies walking around and new-agey types... think tarot cards, drum circles, import stores, vegetarian restaurants, Volvos, Subarus, etc. There is a small college there (but no major sports) and an Elizabethan Theatre that attracts hoards of tourists from all over the country and world. Ashland is a beautiful town. Very picturesque. It has a dense and lively "Main Street" area and a BEAUTIFUL park (Google: "Lithia Park"). I really don't think it can be compared at all to Bend or Spokane. It's really just completely different from any other town in the Pacific NW.
Hope that helps!!
This description of the Jville/Ashland helps a lot actually. I think from this we can probably rule them out. Jville definitely sounds too small and, though I don't mind a liberal-leaning place, all the new-agey would drive us crazy!! Grants Pass looked picture perfect weather-wise though I also saw that 50% of the population is retirement-age...

btw, I wanted to let you know that the edforco website you recommended is fabulous. Gave great overview & pics. of each town neighboring Bend, very very helpful and it's saved as a favorite. Thanks a bunch!

PS How in the world did you end up in Dayton from OR?? I have family in Dayton and spent a good deal of time there growing up.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyFever View Post
As for the Bend area, the various small towns are actually quite variable with Bend being a bit cooler than its neighbors and also getting the most snow (33.5 inches/year compared to Redmond @ 16.8).
Hm! That's surprising actually. I always think of Bend and Redmond as being one in the same, as far as climate is concerned. I didn't realize that Bend got that much more snow. They aren't even very far apart distance-wise. I guess maybe because Bend is at a slightly higher altitude... only about 500' though.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
OK - now back down to Ashland and Jacksonville (I'm getting dizzy!!) - again, Jacksonville is VERY VERY small. And isolated.
Small? Yes. Isolated? It's 5 miles from downtown Medford. Winco and other major shopping areas are even closer. That's hardly isolated...not by southern Oregon standards anyway. In fact, J'ville is closer to downtown Medford than are some neighborhoods in East Medford that are within the city limits. Not that Medford is anywhere to be, but it's the center of employment and commerce in the Rogue Valley. Try Galice, Williams or Agness for isolated.

Quote:
...import stores, vegetarian restaurants, Volvos, Subarus, etc.
Oh, the horror! Has Ashland really fallen into such depths of depravity?

Last edited by Steve97415; 11-07-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 07:28 PM

58 posts, read 298,051 times
Howdy,

I can tell you first hand (i have horrible allergies) that The Dalles is the best climate I could possibly live in.

There is no mold here. No moisture. Just dry heat.

I used to have to pop claritin pills all day long starting right around March 31st in Portland. Moved to The Dalles and it all went away.

Now west of the cascades from Hood River east, yeah, it's probably not good for allergies. That is indeed considered to be part of the gorge, in fact, I bet 90% of people think that's all that exists in the gorge.

It gets more country 10 miles east of Hood River and things are MUCH different. It could be raining and cloudy in Hood River and sunny and warm in The Dalles. I can hardly believe how much the mountain range changes the climate in such a short distance. It's like night and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon