Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 02:12 AM

11 posts, read 29,822 times

Advertisements

Check out Echo, Oregon located in NE Oregon, Umatilla County. Population 715; Echo was just named the winner of the 2009 America in Bloom Contest for Communities 4000 and under in October. In 2007 Echo was the only finalist in the 20,000 and under category from the USA in the International Awards for Liveable Communities(LivCom) and received a bronze in the finals. Echo is Oregon's smallest Tree City USA and has been for 20 years (one of only 3 in Eastern Oregon). There are 10 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places and many other histroic buildings. The Oregon Trail went through Echo and wagon ruts remain on several sites outside of town and the city's Fort Henrietta Park was named a National Historic Oregon Trail Site by the National Park Service. There are a number of museums and historic sites to visit and a wonderful 9 hole golf course called Echo Hills. There are a number of photos of the town on this web site and you can visit the extensive city website at www.echo-oregon.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,148 times
I've been to Echo. It's a cute little town in a very pretty area. I was rolling through there one morning just before the sun came up - stars were still barely out - and I stopped to take in the beautiful dawn with dewy fields and fresh air and I swear I could not hear any sound but my own breathing. I drove around the little town - only truck on the street, and of course everything was closed since it was so early. Eastern OR is so beautiful!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Lived there for several years...lot of things to like.

Did I hear right that Ft. Henrietta Days is no more?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Default Fort Henrietta Days

The last year was 1998. The group of us putting it on got burned out and we tried to get new blood without success.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:42 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Back in the 1970's I played golf there. Keep the ball in the fairways or play with the rattlesnakes.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Default snakes

Actually they were probably bull snakes, we have never found an actual rattle snake on the course. We have a number of bull snakes killed because people thought they were rattlers as the backs have a similar look. Plus the course is a lot different now then in the 70s. We have a new irrigation system and it is very lush. In the 70s is was a series of green circles where each sprinkler was, surrounded by brown and as a result there were more rough, roughs.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
Echo is a wonderful town, The person who commented about the absolute quiet in Echo is spot on. In the mornings all you hear is morning doves and your own breathing. Pure heaven!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
This is how quiet it is. After school my 3rd grade (at the time) daughter used to walk the several blocks to piano lessons at the church just off main street there. One afternoon I was a couple of minutes late picking her up. She'd left, walking back to the school. I drove around not sure which way she'd gone and found her. Now she liked to read. A lot. And really focused on it. She was walking down the middle of main street with her nose stuck in a book. I pulled up to within just a couple of feet behind her and followed her for half a block without her even noticing I was right behind her...until I honked the horn!
The point being...it's such a quiet, slow town that she was able to walk down main street that far and not have any traffic bother her.
It is also such a safe town that I didn't have any problem with her walking around like that...nor did anyone else, I don't think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon