Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 PM

234 posts, read 718,782 times

Advertisements

Hopefully you two are able to stay home, but if you do end up moving to Oregon, the valley/western half is more liberal - but if that's where his job may have been, here are some towns in the valley that sound best suited to you guys:

Sweet Home, Oregon - farmland galore, nearby larger cities for shopping, grass seed capitol of the world - so hopefully you don't have grass or hay allergies, and LOTS OF RAIN! bring your umbrellas!

Carlton, Oregon also came to mind when I read your description. It's a town nobody in Portland seems to know about, but my father moved out there and he likes it. It's got lots of farmland too!

I guess the key is smaller communities, and farm land! I would avoid Portland and Eugene, I don't think you'd like it. Too fast paced, too many Atheists. I was born and raised in the Portland area and never felt accepted there because I am a Christian and believe in God. My own family is mostly Atheist and Agnostic. I will not move back there, I want to have children someday and raise them around people who believe in the Lord and love Him!

God bless you!

Too bad he couldn't get a job in Central Oregon - that would have been heaven for you. Very conservative, and absolutely one of the most BEAUTIFUL locations in Oregon. It's breathtaking, and there are many Godly people out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promise View Post
My husband is from Bend originally; we lived there for 4 years before moving back to the midwest, where I am from. We are possibly going to be relocating back to Oregon for my husband's job--in the valley this time where we've never lived before.
We are looking for good schools and some sort of conservative community with strong Christian churches in the area. Affordability is always important, but having lived there, I am aware that nothing will seem "affordable" after coming from the midwest. I am putting myself out there aware that I may get some trash talk for my beliefs and what I am looking for. Please respect that you would be looking for a community that supports your beliefs as well; I would greatly appreciate any helpful responses.
i hear you promise, and we are looking for the same. I dont know where in the valley you are moving to. we are moving to suburban portland and heard that Vancouver Wa and Camas Wa are more conservative than portland. there are good christian schools in the portland metro area if you are not going to homeschool also. there are good churches there too in Tigard, Hillsboro, Vancouver, forest grove. and they are near more farm land and small communities.

good hunting

Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
Hopefully you two are able to stay home, but if you do end up moving to Oregon, the valley/western half is more liberal - but if that's where his job may have been, here are some towns in the valley that sound best suited to you guys:

Sweet Home, Oregon - farmland galore, nearby larger cities for shopping, grass seed capitol of the world - so hopefully you don't have grass or hay allergies, and LOTS OF RAIN! bring your umbrellas!

Carlton, Oregon also came to mind when I read your description. It's a town nobody in Portland seems to know about, but my father moved out there and he likes it. It's got lots of farmland too!

I guess the key is smaller communities, and farm land! I would avoid Portland and Eugene, I don't think you'd like it. Too fast paced, too many Atheists. I was born and raised in the Portland area and never felt accepted there because I am a Christian and believe in God. My own family is mostly Atheist and Agnostic. I will not move back there, I want to have children someday and raise them around people who believe in the Lord and love Him!

God bless you!

Too bad he couldn't get a job in Central Oregon - that would have been heaven for you. Very conservative, and absolutely one of the most BEAUTIFUL locations in Oregon. It's breathtaking, and there are many Godly people out there.
those places sound awesome, where in Central OR--i would love to visit there. I love going out to Pendleton to the Rodeo and the ranch lands of east oregon too.

its hard in portland i know, to meet other like minded people. everyone seems to think alike there and the same culture. I dont have to have a conservative community but would like a diverse one that is open to all very points and ethnicities. i wonder if the suburbs are better

Old 07-30-2010, 03:07 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
Well,
I work with conservatives all over here in Portland. We get along just fine. On some things we agree to disagree, on others we debate. One thing we all do is acknowledge each other as fellow Oregonians. In my neighborhood, out in the country, we're half and half. But we'll all come to each others' aid if needed.

So I think it's what you bring to the party that determines how you'll like it.
I agree with the others - where in the valley is the workplace?

Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 AM

65 posts, read 133,492 times
Thanks for the honest appraisal of the spiritual 'temperature' in OR. Looking at moving the entire family out there for my 'secular' job, and I, for one, do not want to deal with those whose temp is approaching that of the room- esp. a cold and rainy one, as it were. Dead is dead, in any one's book. But if the job materializes, at least we know where to consider- and what to avoid. I consider all of the world to be a missionary parish, but some are less 'friendly' to Truth- and why try to raise stones to life, when it's not your paying job?!

- Fr. John

Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Well,
I work with conservatives all over here in Portland. We get along just fine. On some things we agree to disagree, on others we debate. One thing we all do is acknowledge each other as fellow Oregonians. In my neighborhood, out in the country, we're half and half. But we'll all come to each others' aid if needed.

So I think it's what you bring to the party that determines how you'll like it.
I agree with the others - where in the valley is the workplace?
Thats awesome to know and hear. back here in philadelphia, not my home by any stretch of the imagination, you cant have differing opinions without being attacked literally(verbal or physical)--so it is great that both conservatives and progressives can disagree on matters out there and still work as humans and oregonians for the betterment of Oregon!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
My experience, living on both sides of the Cascades, is that very little of Oregon is friendly to someone who decides to push his or her missionary "truth" on other people. A lot of the state is "live and let live" so how you live your life (and the example you set) is up to you (this is the generic "you," btw, not any specific poster), right up until you start telling other people what they should believe and what absolute truth is. Politics remains a hot (often too hot) discussion topic, but religion is not, in fact it's generally a conversation-killer.

Oregon, as a state, has one of the lowest attendance rates at the big 7 denominations, but not one of the lowest "belief" rates. It's more sort of "do-it-yourself." I've lived in other parts of the US where larger percentages of residents belonged to major churches, and religion or church-related topics are more common in casual discussion, probably because the odds are much higher that more people in the discussion belong to the same or similar church.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM

31 posts, read 26,328 times
I'd stay away from places like Sweet Home or any town with a population of less than 10,000 or so, as they tend to be kind of ugly and run down due to the poor economy. Sweet Home is an especially depressed area with lots of unemployed biker types living there. I would just stay away from the I-5 corridor in general. I suggest McMinnville. Its a very livable city, located in just about the most heavily republican county in the Willamette Valley, and there's a big Calvary Chapel type church there, among other smaller conservative churches. Property values seem kind of low esp. when compared to Salem or Portland. Good luck.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
My experience, living on both sides of the Cascades, is that very little of Oregon is friendly to someone who decides to push his or her missionary "truth" on other people.
So true. There is a difference between the pursuit of truth and an obsession with dogma. Truth-seekers are in a state of perpetual open-mindedness and are willing do have their constructions of reality revised as new insights become available. Those who venerate dogma have had their minds hardened to such an extent that they are unable to serious contemplate any ideas outside of those they have already been inculcated with.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
...........Those who venerate dogma have had their minds hardened to such an extent that they are unable to serious contemplate any ideas outside of those they have already been inculcated with.
Sounds like the liberal City-Data member with the initials bbts who posted this not long ago about a respected think tank that happens to have a libertarian viewpoint:

"The Cato Institute? You're not serious? You're not pointing to a brainwashing non-think tank as a source of information...this is a joke, right?"

The Cato Institute, rated 5th in the world by a survey conducted by a department of the University of Pennsylvania. Go to page 29 :
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/irp/documents/2009_GlobalGoToThinkTankRankings_TTIndex_1.28.10.p df (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon