Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
My two cents: Many non-Christian parents have a difficult time in December explaining to their children why Santa doesn't come to their house. It has to be hard to be a such a parent during this time. Too many parents would rather see Christmas just go away and not cause problems for them at home. They have to tell the kids that there are just some things they can't have and Christmas is one of them. It's tough to have to do that.

It's also why Hanukkah is so hyped up here in the US and is barely noticed in Israel. It has become a competition in some ways. In the northeast, the kids have off two days in September for the Jewish holidays, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. There are no celebrations in school and no explanations to all the other kids why they have two days off from school. Why is that, when those two events are considered the High Holy Days? It is only in December that non-Christian kids are treated to an explanation of a small holiday which happens to be in the same month as Christmas.

I'd tell those parents that what is great about this country is that there is no persecution for those who don't celebrate certain holidays. We are free to celebrate, or not. It's what gives us our strength.

If a Christmas tree is religious, so is a ginger bread cookie. Trying to make it so only reinforces existing resentments and perpetuates ignorance.
I agree that freedom of religion is a great element of this country. Funny, from my read of Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, William Penn, and the like, they were pretty passionate about such freedoms, but many of our most "patriotic" politicians and pundits claim American values come on only one flavor. There are bunch of on-air blowhards, who get their pay by whipping people up in a frenzy over a gay couple holding hands, or when someone writes "x-mas." Criminy, such bigoted buffoons drive more people away from organized religion than a million guys kissing.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post

It's also why Hanukkah is so hyped up here in the US and is barely noticed in Israel. It has become a competition in some ways. In the northeast, the kids have off two days in September for the Jewish holidays, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. There are no celebrations in school and no explanations to all the other kids why they have two days off from school. Why is that, when those two events are considered the High Holy Days? It is only in December that non-Christian kids are treated to an explanation of a small holiday which happens to be in the same month as Christmas.

You know I'm 1/2 Greek and for Greek Orthodox, Easter is the big celebration. Christmas is not. My mother is Finnish and they didn't get a Christmas tree until Christmas Eve which is the tradition there. There isn't this prolonged event there.

I think the US is almost beyond having Christmas categorized as religious. It is such a commercial event that lasts more than a month now.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It is such a commercial event that lasts more than a month now.
No more 12 Days of Christmas in the U.S., either. By the time Christmas Day comes around, "Christmas" is effectively over.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
No more 12 Days of Christmas in the U.S., either. By the time Christmas Day comes around, "Christmas" is effectively over.

No it's more like the 45-60 days of Christmas these days...I mean stuff was going up after Halloween in some local stores.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
No it's more like the 45-60 days of Christmas these days...I mean stuff was going up after Halloween in some local stores.
Yea, my wife was commenting on that. I considered it a bit tasteless at first, but then again, these are desperate times, so I don't really blame them. I will agree that the main value of Christmas, it seems, is commercial these days.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
I think the US is almost beyond having Christmas categorized as religious. It is such a commercial event that lasts more than a month now.
i agree, what Christmas? I am getting frustrated with the incessant advertisements to buy things....

I have four winter coats. In the willamette valley does one really need four of them? I have two heavy-duty winter boots...I was last trudging through thigh-deep snow about five years ago. A trip to Union Gospel Mission would make me feel a lot better than going out to buy yet another coat, even if it is on sale.

I do blame the stores for hawking Christmas even before the alleged day of Thanksgiving is over. Thanksgiving is for gluttons of food and money, not sharing a meal with friends and family.....this commercialization started long before the ecnomoy went into the dumps.

BTW, I love Christmas lights ~

Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

Me too! Nice to see some color and light this time of year. Now if it would just SNOW!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Ha ha! Did you read the first comment... so funny...

Every time a story like this comes out, to me, it screams insecurity. Some people must really have a lot of fear in them to want to deny others the right to live how they want to live - especially when it involves something as fun and beautiful as a tree! And I'm a non-Christian.

I'm getting so tired of everyone trying so hard to be so religiously politically correct all the time. What's wrong with embracing diversity?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
i agree, what Christmas? I am getting frustrated with the incessant advertisements to buy things....

I have four winter coats. In the willamette valley does one really need four of them? I have two heavy-duty winter boots...I was last trudging through thigh-deep snow about five years ago. A trip to Union Gospel Mission would make me feel a lot better than going out to buy yet another coat, even if it is on sale.

I do blame the stores for hawking Christmas even before the alleged day of Thanksgiving is over. Thanksgiving is for gluttons of food and money, not sharing a meal with friends and family.....this commercialization started long before the ecnomoy went into the dumps.

You guys know about this, right? buynothingchristmas.org

Old 12-15-2009, 07:30 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
"Some people must really have a lot of fear in them to want to deny others the right to live how they want to live......"

I agree. Why not leave the Christmas tree and other Christmas stuff at home and let others celebrate or not as they choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon