Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,146 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Grants Pass, OR for a promotion. He works in the wireless telecom industry and we are headed out there next week for an interview. I have a few questions that haven't been answered on this site (that i've found) or haven't been answered recently. We currently live in mid-Missouri and our daughter is 1 year old.

1. What are a few succesful realtor websites in the RR Valley?

I'm very discouraged from what I've seen so far. We currently own a 3 br / 2 ba house with about 1700 sq ft, valued about $90K here. We also have a large dog that will be joining us. What kind of house could be buy for 125K or rent for 700/month?

2. Unemployment - is it really that bad still? Unemployment is about 6% here currently. I don't plan to work outside the home, but in the event that i need to, I'd like to have some hope. I have a masters degree, but that doesn't seem to go far when so many people are out of work.

3. Is GP family friendly? My husband and I are in our mid-30's...are there social groups to get involved in or will we need to look elsewhere?

enough for now...Thanks in advance for any guidance and advice. We may not have to live directly in GP, so any advice to the surrounding areas (15 mile radius would be great!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:46 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I don't know any agents in Grants Pass, but there are two agents that blog about the area on ActiveRain (a real estate site)

Real Estate in Grants Pass Oregon - Home Listings, Market Information, and Professional Advice from ActiveRain

I haven't read any of their blogs, but they might have posts that give you a feel for the community.

As for unemployment, it it really that bad...still. Last I read the Oregon economist was projecting that unemployment would remain at these levels through next year and then maybe start to go down slowly after that.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 45,780 times
ashlandrealestate.com and coldwellbankergrantspass.com

Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM

197 posts, read 459,232 times
Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM

54 posts, read 293,902 times
Mom2AJ, My wife and I have a second home in Grants Pass and we visit there often. I think you'll find Grants Pass is a family friendly community and, IMO, is one of the best in Southern Oregon. However, housing prices on the west coast, including Grants Pass are all going to be considerably higher than you are used to seeing in Missouri.
Nonetheless, if you need to locate a good realtor, I know an outstanding realtor in Grants Pass that I have dealt with on three transactions. I am sure she would be happy to talk with you and help you find a place that would meet your needs. If you will contact me by direct message on this forum, I'll be happy to give you her contact information.
Best wishes on your pending move.
minorbrew

Old 12-15-2009, 01:46 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AJ View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating to Grants Pass, OR for a promotion. He works in the wireless telecom industry and we are headed out there next week for an interview. I have a few questions that haven't been answered on this site (that i've found) or haven't been answered recently. We currently live in mid-Missouri and our daughter is 1 year old.

I'm very discouraged from what I've seen so far. We currently own a 3 br / 2 ba house with about 1700 sq ft, valued about $90K here. We also have a large dog that will be joining us. What kind of house could be buy for 125K or rent for 700/month?

2. Unemployment - is it really that bad still? Unemployment is about 6% here currently. I don't plan to work outside the home, but in the event that i need to, I'd like to have some hope. I have a masters degree, but that doesn't seem to go far when so many people are out of work.

3. Is GP family friendly? My husband and I are in our mid-30's...are there social groups to get involved in or will we need to look elsewhere?

enough for now...Thanks in advance for any guidance and advice. We may not have to live directly in GP, so any advice to the surrounding areas (15 mile radius would be great!)
1. I recommend Prudential Sherm Heater for Grants Pass (their agent Jo Reese especially). They're not the biggest realty group in the area, but they're quality. For a website to actually search for homes, grantspasshomes.com has a very user-friendly search system.

Your dollar isn't going to go nearly as far in Oregon as it does in Missouri, I can tell you that much. Even Southern Oregon is very spendy in comparison. For around 125k, from what I searched for in Josephine County, you could get a 1,000 square foot home with 2-3 beds and a bath, or a newer townhouse with 1,400 square feet and 3 beds, 2 baths.

750/month is generally going to get you a small 2 bedroom house or nice apartment or a 3 bedroom not-so-nice apartment. If you wanted 700 or under, it's going to be very cozy, but you can still get a livable apartment in a safe area (nowhere is really going to be 'unsafe').

2. Unemployment IS that bad. It is terrible to be blunt. Josephine County's unemployment rate for October was 13.5% and the "actual" rate is probably a lot higher because many people have stopped looking for jobs because it's so hopeless. It's not quite Michigan here, but it's not 6% either! I am, quite frankly, astounded that it's the unemployment rate is SO low where you're at! 6% would be considered low in Grants Pass even before the recession happened.

3. My parents are more retirement age, and I myself am college-aged, but I have a brother with a family who is also mid-30s. Still, I am not so sure what the social scene is like for family-oriented folks in their 30s, but my brother and his family seem to do fine, have friends, and all that.

Overall, Grants Pass/Southern Oregon is a great place to raise a family if you can afford it and you have good, stable employment.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:

Howdy Mom2AJ...

Over the lustrums i've been a finish carpenter & done some construction, i've seen some things which may be of benefit to you:

Farther out of town you might be able to buy at a better value, a lot or a few acres. Try to buy land that already has hookups for power, water, septic. Unless you want to live off the grid. Then you would purchase batteries & solar panels, etc.

I've seen folks upgrade the home on their property. They then have to sell or move the original single or doublewide mobile,etc from the property.

I've seen mobilehomes in good/great condition go for from $500- $6000.

Some that need repairs have been Free. You have to have someone move them to your property & have them leveled on a flat pad.

Later, on your property if you wanna, build a stickbuilt house or have a mod/manu home brought thar...

We've happily lived in the mountains nw of Grants Pass well over four lustrums......

We get most of our vittles in Grants Pass...Great Folks...never had a problema...

Best of Luck to you Good Folks.

Long ago i lived in Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

& ST Louis, Pinelawn/Normandy counties.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Is GP family friendly? My husband and I are in our mid-30's...are there social groups to get involved in or will we need to look elsewhere?

The younger, more educated, politically progressive, affluent and career-professional you are, the farther east you have to go in the Rogue River Valley to feel you are living in a "normal" city.
The more conservative, older, tight-budgeted and blue collar you are, the more cultural peers you'll find as you go west in the RRV.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 58,311 times
cimemapping.com...use it to make sure you stay out of the bad areas of Grants Pass

Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
My suggestion is to call Ramsey Real Estate out of Jacksonville and Applegate Valley and talk to them, or get a referral from them.

We have dealt with them, and I think you would appreciate starting with them. Even it it just amounts to a lead.

Sounds like purchase is going to be higher for you out near Grants Pass.

On the other hand, I think that rent may be relatively low. We are renting a home south of Grants Pass for the $900 range. And the same place up here near Beaverton would almost certainly rent for $1200 per month.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon