U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,900,019 times

Advertisements

It appears to be very expensive but I would like some insider opinions. We are builders so an area with growth is important, but we also would like to live in a smaller town with a lot of beauty around it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:52 AM

177 posts, read 933,681 times
Yes, Hood River is expensive. This is driven mostly from the Windsurfers that come up from California. Houses there start at no less than $150,000. It's a beautiful area, although most of the town is up on top of a hill. I don't think there's a lot of growth there because of it's location (80 miles east of Portland). It's a small town, so there are not a lot of jobs available and the ones that are available do not pay well. Hood River used to be a farm town years ago, but ever since windsurfing became popular it has become a little more trendy with more small shops on the main street. There is a Wal-Mart, but that is the only "big box" store. There is a Safeway, and of course fast food places. Seems to me most of the growth in Oregon is taking place in and around the Portland Area.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:46 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,588,165 times
Well Hood River does have a lot of beautiful scenery. There are hills surrounding the Columbia Gorge.
Lots of younger people go there to be near skiing on Mt. Hood and wind surfing on the river.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,900,019 times
So would you compare the winds there to the winds we get in Wyoming? What about affordability?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM

7,785 posts, read 17,597,757 times
Compared to Wyoming (excluding, say, Jackson Hole), Hood River is not going to be affordable. Behind the city, stretching back in a valley, are some of the most productive apple and pear orchards in the NW and land prices are high because the land is valuable ranch land. In town prices are fairly high because Hood River is viewed as a desirable recreation site, between the windsurfing in the river, and the skiing just up the road at Mt. Hood. Given the size of the town, though there IS a lot to do.

The winds in the Gorge can get fierce - beyond Wyoming fierce (well, given the winter I spent in Rawlins once, maybe AS fierce). The Columbia River Gorge is one of the few low passes in the Cascade range, and there is usually a weather high to the east of the Cascades and a low to the west, creating a funnel or venturi for the wind. It's why the windsurfers like it.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,035 posts, read 50,158,244 times
as compared to WY, winds are less frequent, and potentially more intense at times. (consider similar to areas close to mountain frontage / Snowy Range > Laramie) Hood River wind is not as intense as areas between Cascade Locks and Troutdale (narrower)

as far as construction... The Dalles and HR, + White Salmon host a lot of 'craftsman' builders. It would be best if you have specialty skills, there is a clientele to support that. Framers and tract / ranch home construction will be tough to compete. Wages are not great as an employee, as area is desirable, thus folks will take less wages for the benefit to stay. There is adequate migrant population, tho not sure how long they can afford to stay.

I was in HR / Parkdale looking for places this weekend. There are some decent rural places for $400k, but market is tight. It is a pretty time to be out looking.

You might consider White Salmon > Goldendale to retain your 'no-tax' background. HR is more trendy, but there is a lot of 'cross-border' employment for contractors. The Dalles is cheaper and growing (Google office). Dufur is a good alternative for being 20 min away, but much cheaper. (it is a dinky, but friendly, town)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon