Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

Just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on coastal communities in Oregon. Ideally I'm looking for a small community to raise a family. Also, something within a reasonable driving distance to an airport.

I was looking at houses on Gleneden Beach, Arch Cape, Cannon Beach, and Newport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM

716 posts, read 2,821,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftpguy View Post
Hi everybody,

Just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on coastal communities in Oregon. Ideally I'm looking for a small community to raise a family. Also, something within a reasonable driving distance to an airport.

I was looking at houses on Gleneden Beach, Arch Cape, Cannon Beach, and Newport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

First of all, there are no jobs on the coast. Are you self sufficient or retired?

Secondly the coast has plenty of small communities. Each one has it's own unique character. You need to see them all first hand.

Thirdly there are no commercial airports along the coast. (however just about every community has an airstrip). I think Astoria and Newport might have a daily puddle jumper to PDX but that's about it.

The North Oregon coast is about 2 hrs to PDX and that would offer you the best access to a mainstream airport.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 AM

378 posts, read 1,572,215 times
This is going to help Newport and provide for some jobs. Last summer, it outbid and outmaneuvered three ports in Washington to become the home, beginning in 2011, of the Pacific Fleet of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,366,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
First of all, there are no jobs on the coast. Are you self sufficient or retired?

Secondly the coast has plenty of small communities. Each one has it's own unique character. You need to see them all first hand.

Thirdly there are no commercial airports along the coast. (however just about every community has an airstrip). I think Astoria and Newport might have a daily puddle jumper to PDX but that's about it.

The North Oregon coast is about 2 hrs to PDX and that would offer you the best access to a mainstream airport.
Not true. Coos Bay has OTH (North Bend) and daily Air Service. But yes, there are no jobs on the coast.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 PM

83 posts, read 427,942 times
NOAA has the BEST weather info! A real coup for Newport!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:33 PM

218 posts, read 581,161 times
I hope a lot of us who know about the OR coast haven't depressed you. However, above posters are not lying. No jobs on the OR coast. Many areas have 15% and up unemployment. We work in the medical profession - even know a doctor who can't find a spot on the OR coast. Those who have jobs keep them and don't move on - cuz they know there will not be another. I have girlfriends who are RNs along the northern coast and don't dare quit. They know they won't get another job. So, if you are retired and well-heeled, and/or well-heeled financially, Gleneden Beach, Manzanita, Arch Cape, etc. would be lovely.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:40 PM

378 posts, read 1,572,215 times
There are hardly any jobs on the coast unless you can work from home (I do). I do see the stores advertise for sales help from time to time, but that would be an hourly wage. I know there are shuttle services to PDX for anyone who doesn't want to drive there. Gosh, no matter what, I LOVE it here. We didn't even need a jacket on the beach today.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 16,908 times
Lincoln City is a pretty good community. However, if you are looking for entertainment and things to do, there is pretty much nothing on the coast except for the nature. Would you consider Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon