U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 21,103 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be moving with my husband to Oregon in about 1.5 months and we are hoping to find a place that is not only remote and quiet (like most or OR seems to be), but also more of a cabin feel without neighbors who I can hear or see because they are too close. It seems the only cabins or homes I can find are for vacation rentals (cabins) or purchase (cabins and homes). We don't want to buy we'd like to rent for a year first to make sure the area is a good fit for us.

Any recommendations on where to look or what towns would be best? Currently we are looking next to or very close to either the Deschutes, Siuslaw, or Willamette National Forests. The problems with the towns I've seen and loved are the lack of newspapers and rental websites. If anyone knows anything off hand please let me know. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 PM

15,145 posts, read 37,599,249 times
Those areas all all very different. Deschutes is dusty and high desertish. Willamette and Siuslaw are more lush and rainy.

So you are looking for a remote place that has lots of internet access? You do realize that being remote, kind of by nature, means lack of those kinds of things?

Maybe if you tell people what you want in a town, other than it being remote we can help you narrow down your search. The areas you are looking are all very different.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 PM

206 posts, read 478,416 times
Well Meig, heres the deal. What your asking/looking for is pretty tough. Oregon is super restrictive on what a person can and cant do with their land and as a result their is precious little available that will allow a dwelling to be built in such a location. As a result of the lack of development outside our high density metro and burbs there is little reason for the communication company's to invest in things like hi speed internet outside of city's. Another result of not being able to utilize your property is that the few parcels that are zoned for a dwelling structure are very expensive. Supply and demand you know. You might look at Idaho, they still let people actually manage their own property and it is a very beautiful state as well.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 AM

879 posts, read 1,577,998 times
Are you independently wealthy, or do you have to work?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,291,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Are you independently wealthy, or do you have to work?
Hey, Nomad, I'm on "vacation". I used to have a friend who rented a small place right outside of Salem that was in the middle of a forest but was five minutes to the grocery store. It was heavenly.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 AM

72 posts, read 135,616 times
Yeah, what the others said. Oregon's like anyplace else - it's been bought and sold and bought again. Any land that's worth anything, that has water and is buildable, is probably very expensive. This isn't the wild west anymore, the wilderness is federal land and everything else is in private hands.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Those areas all all very different. Deschutes is dusty and high desertish. Willamette and Siuslaw are more lush and rainy.

So you are looking for a remote place that has lots of internet access? You do realize that being remote, kind of by nature, means lack of those kinds of things?

Maybe if you tell people what you want in a town, other than it being remote we can help you narrow down your search. The areas you are looking are all very different.
The areas we picked are all because they were beautiful, green and full of trees & water, they all seemed quite similar. If there are other areas with low populations and an atmosphere similar to the cities below (State/Highway areas) feel free to post the names. Deschutes near Mr. Bachelor area wasn't high desert when we went last year, perhaps I wasn't specific enough when describing which part of Deuchutes we are looking for. We live in a desert mountain region and just want to leave it behind.

As for internet access I have cellular internet so I can work while I travel, no need for a cable or phone company to set it up for me or location restrictions to worry about.

So City Information: State Road 372 area outside of Bend is a great, once past sisters, the Highway 20 to Upper Soda area, or State Road 126 until Vida (including Blue River, MacKenzie Bridge, Belknap Springs). Sisters itself is a bit too city like for us.
Further south, Oakridge to Crescent Lake, State Road 58 area.
On the Coast, Yachats, Waldport, Seal Rock, South Beach areas, Otter Rock, Depoe Bay this list does not include Newport. These are a bit larger than what we were hoping for, however there were areas we found that were remote.

Hope this helps

bman15470, thanks for the heads up on land regulations, I had no idea that it would be so strict. Perhaps we'll have to try northern Washington and northern Idaho

NomadicBear, we work from home, no need to be near an office or area of employment.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 PM

15,145 posts, read 37,599,249 times
Oregon and Washington have urban growth boundaries which create very strict zoning laws about what you can and can't build on parcels of land. What you are talking about is probably zoned FF (Farm Forest) and you can't build residences on that other than for loggers to live temporarily. As such you'd be looking for a house that was grandfathered in and built before zoning laws came into place in the mid 1970's.

I don't think Idaho has urban growth boundaries. In the Willamette wilderness your best bets would be in the Detriot/Idanha areas. There is a real estate company that is out there that I will DM you. They may know of some rentals, or an owner willing to rent for a bit. I don't cover out there so I'm clueless, but I think you're going to have to try and find some local real estate agents to help you. Folks in those parts are just no techie.

The market is such that you may want to approach a seller of a home and enter into a one year lease if the property is vacant. Homes in remote areas aren't going anywhere fast.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,598,749 times
Meighanrocks, given that you use cellular internet, check you cell provider to make sure they provide coverage, and then see if you can find someone on the ground to verify their coverage map.

There's a LOT of BIG dead spots in Oregon, regardless of what a lot of the coverage maps show.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Silverfall: Thanks so much! I am so excited for this new direction, I just assumed real estate agents would blow us off since we won't be buying for 1 year.

skinem: Thanks, our service worked when we went out for a road trip last year so we should be ok. I also checked to verify our cell phones worked in each area I liked, life without that would probably kill me. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>