Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:01 PM

21 posts, read 45,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't wait for Oregon! View Post
Alaska. Anything is better. We are also trying to avoid moving back and hear that most "Alaskans" that move to Oregon like it there and stay.
As you can see by the user name I am one of the "Alaskans" you speak of. We lived on the Kenai Peninsula for over 16 yrs and really loved it, but it was time for a change. We have been in Grants Pass for nearly 2 yrs now and have never looked back. Have friends in Medford also from AK and they say the same after 3 yrs.

As for the dreary winter days and SAD, we say the 50 degree, foggy, rainy winters are like "summer in Alaska".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM

32 posts, read 133,419 times
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for posting! I am thrilled to hear from another Alaskan! What do you like about Oregon? What do you dislike? Compared to Alaska of course.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,028,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akor View Post
As you can see by the user name I am one of the "Alaskans" you speak of. We lived on the Kenai Peninsula for over 16 yrs and really loved it, but it was time for a change. We have been in Grants Pass for nearly 2 yrs now and have never looked back. Have friends in Medford also from AK and they say the same after 3 yrs.

As for the dreary winter days and SAD, we say the 50 degree, foggy, rainy winters are like "summer in Alaska".
And so I say Grants Pass is more or less my favorite town in southern Oregon. Inland anyway, since I like Brookings.

So would you agree that Grants Pass is a fine place to be?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM

[quote=

So would you agree that Grants Pass is a fine place to be?

[/quote]

Yes indeed

Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for posting! I am thrilled to hear from another Alaskan! What do you like about Oregon? What do you dislike? Compared to Alaska of course.
We like pretty much everything. We had two main reasons for moving: #1- to be closer to family and #2 -just to be able to just get in the car and go somewhere

My husband works from home and has to travel some. We were able to relocate anywhere in the -48 we wanted, just needed high speed internet and a good airport nearby. Medford has a great airport for commuting from without the hassle of a hub airport. Grants Pass has a great small community feel (Medford not as much IMHO) and has plenty of amenities, especially when compared to AK.

The things most people dislike such as the dreary winters,remote location, nothing to do for kids, etc are all relative and when compared to AK are more of a plus.

You are right about the number of Alaskans in OR. It is amazing how many people we meet have either lived there themselves or have friends and family there now.

Even though OR has a state income tax and we no longer get our PFD's we have found that the cost of living, groceries, utilites, property tax, car insurance, etc are soooooooo much less here that it seems we are living an even more comfortable life style here than AK.

I hope that answers some of your questions and i hope that where ever you wind up you are as happy as we are. I know it is a though decision, Alaska gets in your blood and it is hard to leave her

Old 02-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Thank you! I'm glad you are happy there. We will be visiting the Grants Pass area in June. We are taking 10 days to just drive around the state to figure out where we would be comfortable.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 AM

Here's a bit more of what's a couple of hours west of Grants Pass, and about 1 hours south of Brookings that I posted pics of earlier.

Not as big or green in Grants Pass, but there are still a lot of trees. The town of Grants Pass is surrounded by green mountains. Its one of the nicest features of the area. Whenever I fill with fuel, I step out and just look around at the hills on all sides.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing, do you have to walk far from the road to get pictures like this?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for sharing, do you have to walk far from the road to get pictures like this?
In the redwoods? Not really. You could park and stroll in a few minutes.

Or like the tree in the next photo below, its right next to the road. My camera tripod was on the opposite side of the parkway, with the timer set on 30 seconds.

When we moved near Medford, we chose Ruch in Applegate Valley which is on Grants Pass's south side. That put us 2 hours from the redwoods. I hiked in the redwoods at least every two weeks during our 3 years we lived down there. Grant's Pass is even closer.

Did you see the 2009 October National Geographic foldout photo? Or the Nat Geo Explorer show about the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LHjV48e9s&feature=fvw

Here's a bit more about Prof. Sillett who teamed up with Nat Geo ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WMxq...eature=related

Many redwoods that they climb, and the Nat Geo redwood are undisclosed, but there a plenty comparable, just a few moments off the main roads, as well as deep within on the trails.

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-05-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
Bend is Great if you don't mind yuppie Califoria types who have taken the town over
I have been in the Medford area for over 30 years. It is less seasonal than Bend for climate. Mild winters and some hot days in summer It is on the way to anywhere along the I-5 corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon