Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 04:15 AM

37 posts, read 167,756 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am planning to move back to Portland and have decided to probably relocate to Gresham/Troutdale area. I have hiked some areas in the Columbia Gorge in the past, such as Eagle Creek through Tunnel Falls, etc, as well as many other trails. However, I have never really hiked anywhere in the Washington side. The one thing I don't like about the Oregon side is it is pretty crowded in the summer time. I know there are many parts of the Gorge you can escape everyone and still have lovely scenery and views. I was wondering what people thought about the Washington side? Is there good trails, views and other scenery around there? Is it less crowded than the Oregon side? I would assume it is due to the lack of waterfalls. The Washington side looks beautiful, butI think it would be really nice to hike and have Mt Hood in the backdrop.

So, overall, which side of the Gorge do you prefer to spend your days? Washington Or Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM

162 posts, read 513,419 times
Why has nobody answered this thread yet? It seems if a thread doesn't have to do with real estate or taxes, everyone ignores it. I have hiked both sides of the gorge and that is a very tough question you pose.

Both sides are great, but if I had to choose, I would hike on the Oregon side. Its hard to explain why, because both sides are quite similar except the fact that the Oregon side has many more waterfalls, like you mentioned. There is nothing like hiking Eagle Creek in the summertime and sliding down punchball falls if you are brave enough to do so(its actually not that dangerous). That is one of my favorite hikes in the world, despite the large crowds. On top of that you have the Larch Mountain hike, which leads you to the top of Multnomah falls and onwards and whose summit presents one with one of the best views imaginable. On a clear day you can see 6 volcanoes and Hood is so close you feel like you can touch it. There is also the Oneota Gorge, a very hidden treasure. I am not sure if you have been there, but to get there you have to meander your way through several, huge fallen trees and then wade through water which can be waist deep. At the end there is a great waterfall where you can swim at during the sizzling summer days.

Thats not to say that the Washington side isn't spectacular. Table Mountain is a very unknown hike that I would recommend. Its about 5 miles from the bridge of the gods and very hard to find the trailhead, but it is almost always quiet and there are some pretty interesting waterfalls and good views. Dog Mountain and Hamilton Mountain are hikes I would also recommend there. As I mentioned, due to the vibe and waterfalls I prefer the Oregon side, crowds and all but the great thing about living there is you have both. I would buy a copy of "60 hikes within 60 miles of Portland." This has always been my source for hiking and has led me on some great, unforgettable hikes.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:49 PM

37 posts, read 167,756 times
Thanks for the post Neal, very informative.. I will make note of the places you mentioned. Have you ever done the hike to Triple Falls? That is one waterfall that very few people talk about, but I was amazed at its beauty and how unique it was, having three waterfalls side by side, down the canyon. It is one waterfall I will not forget on the Oregon side. Although, it was not an easy hike and away from everything, it was still crowded with people. The rowdy college kids who were walking to the edge of the fall to dare their friends, made it a bit annoying, but the beauty overwhlemed even the annoying Portlanders who were there. Oh yeah, I forgot about the Christians who had to preach the good news to me while I was enjoying the waterfall, well they were annoying too. I am a Messianic Jew, so I didn't really need to be saved by them. Even they did not phase me, because the beauty of the falls consumed all my senses.

And, believe it or not, after sitting there for 30 minutes, all the annoying people seem to leave and I had the falls mostly to myself and enjoyed it alone for another hour before leaving.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 AM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times
Post WA gorge hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMystic View Post
Hi, I am planning to move back to Portland and have decided to probably relocate to Gresham/Troutdale area. I have hiked some areas in the Columbia Gorge in the past, such as Eagle Creek through Tunnel Falls, etc, as well as many other trails. However, I have never really hiked anywhere in the Washington side. The one thing I don't like about the Oregon side is it is pretty crowded in the summer time. I know there are many parts of the Gorge you can escape everyone and still have lovely scenery and views. I was wondering what people thought about the Washington side? Is there good trails, views and other scenery around there? Is it less crowded than the Oregon side? I would assume it is due to the lack of waterfalls. The Washington side looks beautiful, butI think it would be really nice to hike and have Mt Hood in the backdrop.

So, overall, which side of the Gorge do you prefer to spend your days? Washington Or Oregon?
Have you ever tried Beacon Rock on the WA side? it is about a mile or two west after you cross the Bridge of the Gods bridge. I think there is something like 54 switchbacks and the view from atop the rock ( about 400 ft high I'd say ) is pretty amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon