U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,608 times

Advertisements

Hi, where's the best place for waterskiing, dirt biking and road riding in this beautiful state, we have 3 young kids (girl 7, boys 5 and3)so good schools in small towns would be preferable. thinking of moving from ireland looking for warm summers, snow in winter and not to much rain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,657,802 times
I think the only place to waterski without getting much rain would be the eastern end of the Columbia Gorge - from The Dalles to Hermiston, approximately. Not sure about the schools in that area.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 PM

480 posts, read 2,348,802 times
You should look into Central Oregon as a possibility. There is water skiing e.g. at Lake Billy Chinook and Prineville Reservoir; lots of hiking and biking possibilities. We have snow in the winter and because we're in the high desert, not much rain (of course it's sprinkling as I write this ). Not all of the towns in Central Oregon have great schools - the larger the town, the more the school system has better resources. Bend might be your best bet. Its population is about 80,000

Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM

4,522 posts, read 6,900,203 times
For what you want you might have to move to Central (especially the Bend area) or Northeastern Oregon. Because this is the dryer part of the state, for irrigation purposes, dams have been built on some of the rivers and lakes suitable for water sports have formed behind them.

For instance, about 20 minutes from Baker City (approx.10,000 population) in Northeast Oregon, where I happen to live, is Phillips Lake:
Phillips Reservoir at bakercounty.net for Baker County_Eastern Oregon

Motorcycle riding is outstanding in Central and Northeast Oregon. Not only is there much to see, but there is little traffic in many of the areas. Baker City hosts an annual motorcycle rally:
Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally

School quality varies by community.

Jobs can be very hard to find.

Kids coming from an urban area might be bored. Much of the area I am talking about is very rural and sparsely populated.

It can get hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Many of the communities have extremely low crime rates.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,107,813 times
To be honest, if you're looking for snow, not much rain, and warm summers, you may look elsewhere than Oregon. Idaho and Utah are good places, and Salt Lake City is becoming more welcome to non-LDSers in the area. Just my two cents.

It just sounds to me as if you're looking for something further away from the ocean with a larger disparity between winter/summer temps.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM

775 posts, read 1,222,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsriverview View Post
Hi, where's the best place for waterskiing, dirt biking and road riding in this beautiful state, we have 3 young kids (girl 7, boys 5 and3)so good schools in small towns would be preferable. thinking of moving from ireland looking for warm summers, snow in winter and not to much rain.
The Dalles, OR ( in the Columbia Gorge ) would be your best bet. Not only can you do all of those activities, but you could also windsurf as that is the #1 windsurf location ( and nearby Hood River, OR about 20 miles away ) in the country because of its strong, gusty east winds in the summer time.

The Dalles commonly reaches into the 100F temps in the summer time, usually is around freezing ( 32F ) in the winter time, is a small town ( about 10k people ) and while they do get a little bit of rain, they don't get anything like we get here in Portland.

I used to do courier delivery route 2 times every day having to drive from Portland to The Dalles ( 80 miles apart ) and it could be pouring rain here in Portland, and not a cloud in the sky when I got to the Dalles.

Not sure about the schools in that area though.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM

151 posts, read 307,044 times
Check out Sisters, it's a small town, lots of Wilderness to dirt bike, hike, etc. and not far to Lake Billy Chinook and Prinevill Res. Great schools, close to a small Ski resort (Hoo Doo) about an hour to Mt Bachelor, minutes from Bend with larger shopping area, and entertainment. Sisters is a cute tourist area in summer. May hit the low 90's in July, not much humidity. Can get a bit cold in winter, but it doesn't last long. Usually does not rain much, or for long periods on this side of the Cascades. Snows a bit, not a lot (ususally) in town, but just up the road there is plenty for sledding, crosscountry skiing, snowshoeing, etc. Worth a look. I have been here 11 years, raise 2 kids here -but may be relocating for work. Not many jobs here, that can be a drawback.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM

7 posts, read 28,979 times
I live in Eastern Oregon, and agree that Central Oregon might be your best bet. You should everything weather-wise that you are looking for, but definitely check into the schools of each community you consider. Don't fall for the idea that Oregon is too rainy. the majority of Oregon doesn't get too much rain. In fact, where I live we only average 10.5 inches of precipitation/year. We have lots of sun, even if it is freezing out. (One of the reasons I love it here - I can't live without the sunshine, but don't like heat year-round.)

Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 18,749 times
Default Bend, OR - best bet

Bend is a wonderful place to raise kids if you are an outdoor enthusiast and very family oriented. Lots of things to do year round. However, it's really difficult to get connected with others as most people tend to stick to themselves. Most people don't even know their neighbors...at least, from everyone I have spoken with. Even when it comes to going to church or attending music in the park, people are friendly but rarely are "friendships" formed. It helps if you already know someone here. It's tough on kids in the beginning but thankfully, through school they make friends and before you know it there are sleep overs. This is not a town where you want to let your kids run around after 7 by themselves as there is a lot of drugs and gangs....especially at the skate parks, etc.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM

151 posts, read 307,044 times
Would have to agree with sweetamiga, it is not the easiest place to make friends. We have been here (Bend, Redmond, Sisters) for 16 years and have but a few close friendships. It is difficult. We attend church, civic events, etc. & it is as you say, most people don't even know their neighbors...I wonder why that is?
Anyway, just know you'll need to work at it! it does help having kids as a way of meeting other parents, ours are grown, so that does not help me anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon