Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 PM

101 posts, read 134,099 times

Advertisements

compare the weather especially Southern Oregon to Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 AM

4 posts, read 10,736 times
I am not currently living in Oregon. Looking to relocate from Brooklyn. How do you feel about Oregon being from NYC? Can you tell me about your experience.....thanks!!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 AM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
Ok, here is what I hear from my Long Island native husband who has spent the last 40 plus years on the west coast and the last 7 in Salem Or..
He loves the weather out here,none of paralizing snow storms , pace is slower, its cheaper and its just home to him..We were last on Long Island 3 years ago in the fall for his 50th class reunion , he was happy he went but almost did the snoopy dance when we got off the plane in Portland.
But you must factor into all this I'm a native northern Cal gal that stole his heart too..
There is night and day difference between the two coasts , how people act , there thought patterns and more..
So come out and snoop around talk to people and enjoy.....

Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 62,132 times
Hi I am a native long islander with a husband originally from Brooklyn- we are moving to Bend in 2011 and i am counting the days..... long island was, in my opinion, ruined a long time ago, very very sad. Weather in Central Oregon- high desert- sunny, cold in winter but it is "out west" cold. Here in NY it is humid in summer, damp, miserable in Winter. Couple that with high taxes, congested roads and very unfriendly, rude people well - I think Oregon is beautiful....... can't wait

Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay133826 View Post
Looking to relocate from Brooklyn. How do you feel about Oregon being from NYC? Can you tell me about your experience.....thanks!!
**IMO**

I love this city. And the state is truly one of the most naturally gorgeous I've ever been in.

When I moved here from NYC, I had no expectations that it would be in any way similar to New York. So, everything was a wonderful change. What struck me immediately was how very clean Portland was in comparison. And it still is.

Weather is much milder here. Sometimes ice, very little snow if any at all. It rains a lot. I do not miss the humidity you get in NY.

People are different. They're somewhat insular. In my experience, I found New Yorkers to be much more outgoing, direct and honest. But along with that comes a certain abruptness and roughness, as you know. Never bothered me....but there's a certain politeness here that can sometimes feel superficial.

Absolutely nothing can compare to what NYC has to offer in terms of museums, art, ballet, Lincoln Center, opera, one of the greatest music conservatories in the world, the exposure to many different cultures. Don't expect anything here to even come close.

I agree with the other poster. Come out, take your time, look around and get a feel for the place and enjoy! Guaranteed, you won't be sorry you did ~

Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,529 times
When I was a kid growing up in Portland, I was always fascinated by NYC. Taking trains underground to get around town, instead of walking blocks to my friend's house I could just take an elevator, all of the skyscrapers, etc... So when I was 23 I moved there. I stayed for 2 years and loved every minute of it. Wicked Felina is right - there's a huge difference between the West & East coast. From the people to the climates. I prefer the milder climates of the West coast. Check Oregon out & see if you can be happy there. Good luck whatever your decision is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon