U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 5,151 times

Advertisements

We are a retired couple looking to move to Oregon, We both on social security,

1. Rentals : what price would be looking at ( nice neighborhood)
2. Shopping
3. V.A hospital

All in all which town would be able to offer us with a comfortable way of living>

Any information would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 AM

3,026 posts, read 4,734,461 times
When it comes to VA Hospitals you only have two choices, Roseburg or Portland. Roseburg is a nice town, not very big but it does offer affordable rents and shopping. I don't see Roseburg as a town you would retire to, it mainly a blue collar type of town. Grants Pass would be worth looking at, there is a VA clinic in White City about 30 miles south of Grants Pass and Roseburg is only 65 miles north.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 AM

8,780 posts, read 14,985,703 times
I don't know what state you live in now. If you are moving from elsewhere in the USA, then its difficult to tell you where to or not to relocate to. Oregon is a very different type of state and the neighborhoods and communities reflect that. As mentioned there are two VA Hospitals in this state. The one in Portland is responsible for the care of Veterans in at least half of this state, as well as Southwest Washington. It is a decent hospital but its patient load has overwhelmed the hospital and it is very noticeable. VA's and the care you receive, dramatically changes from one region of the country to another.

Roseburg is a smaller more regional Hospital where as Portland's VA seems to be taking patients for more specialized care, again overwhelms the Hospital. There is a tremendous need for another Va Medical Center in Oregon as well as the Northwest. Much of your care will be managed by residents in training. I retired from the VA back east, and was amazed at just how much of the patient care in Portland is managed by residents in training. They are under the responsibilty of a Doctor, but quite honestly some times all you will see is a resident. If you are lucky depending on your status with the VA, you will see a Doctor for certain appointments. Other times it will be with a resident.

I think unless you are interested in a very urban setting for retirement. You are use to or have familiarity with Portland and its lifestyles. You enjoy the bohemian, alternative type populations and green this that and the other. You prefer a dominant population of 20 and 30 something's with bikes all over, and not very well designed for auto travel. A rather expensive setting that is getting more and more crammed in, due to the Urban Growth Boundary then Portland might be for you.

If you prefer a much less urban setting more small town atmosphere. I would say very conservative in its views and lifestyles then Southern Oregon fits the bill. Roseburg (VA Hospital), Grants Pass, Medford and perhaps Ashland a very expensive community on the Calif border. I think as a retiree that isn't looking for any type of part time work or just wants a more relaxing lifestyle then Southern Oregon is more the choice.

It all depends on what you like but I can't stress this enough. If you are not from the Northwest or the Western USA and your thinking of moving to the Portland area especially. Then you have to be comfortable with the fact your getting more than a place with views of Mt Hood and the ocean some 1 1/2 hours away. The city and region is marketed that way, but it is a very politically motivated area dominated by a young population, and the views are primarily more radical than Liberal. It can and will have an impact on your life here and in all honesty. I do not think Portland the city anyway is a good choice for the retiree. Again especially the one relocating from a distant state with no family support system here. It offers really little for the average Joe or Jane type person and offers very little for the older person. It very much caters to the younger set.

If you are set on Oregon I would go with the southern end of the state. The communities I mentioned. Take some trips out here and really look the place over and how the feel of the place sets with you. Don't ever choose a place because it is beautiful or the climate is warmer etc. There is so much more to consider. Best of Luck.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,280,587 times
mutarara:

JimRob1 wrote an informative post, however, I would add additional info.

- Portland has a very good mass transit system. Depending on your transportation needs, Portland just may offer some inexpensive alternatives. The VA hospital is on top of a tall hill.

- Rental prices in the city of Portland are higher than other parts of Oregon. IMHO, it has to do with property taxes in Multnomah County, which get passed on to the renters. To be honest, Craigslist.com (use the Multnomah tab for Portland city) is quite accurate for rental prices.

- rental prices drop when you cross the county line, but your transportation costs become a factor. (Washington county is to the west of Portland, Clackamas is south and East. North is the State of Washington.)

- One can live within the city of Portland without a car, but it becomes tricky if you have restricted mobility.

- Shopping, Downtown Portland has shopping as you would expect in a city the size of Portland and its metro area. Suburban shopping malls are generic, and interchangeable with any other suburban mall. Nothing to write home about. Downtown Beaverton is surprisingly diverse shopping.

- IIRC I think I have read on this board, that a few hours drive west of Portland, there are a few retirement communities on or near the Pacific Ocean.

- But please, as someone who is over 60, I urge you not to lightly dismiss JimRob1's comment about Portland having lots and lots of 20's and 30's something year olds. They are polite, and respectful, as long as you ignore the tattoos on almost all the young ladies.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:18 PM

899 posts, read 2,806,567 times
My dollar two ninetyeights worth..We are retired navy,live in salem in a manufactured home park and love it..
The biggest thing you must do before you jump and move is completely check out the VA and other medical needs..We don't use VA but have another HMO..Getting a local Dr that will take Tri-care is nearly impossible in Marion county..
Bus tranportation is good..We have a bus that people call and for a small fee will pick them at their door step for appointments.Our neighbors are all pleased with it..
If time and money will allow you need to make a trip out here and really look at Portland and the surrounding area, talk to the VA , talk a realtor,and just get a feel for it..
We love living in a 55 plus park..
Well thats my 2 cents worth

Old 02-14-2010, 09:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 26,797,378 times
Quote:
It offers really little for the average Joe or Jane type person and offers very little for the older person. It very much caters to the younger set.
This cannot be stressed enough. It is one of the main reasons I am looking to leave Portland. There are other towns in Oregon more suitable for retirees like Ashland but there is no VA hospital nearby.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:21 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,166,813 times
Here's my two cents. The above posts are very informative and accurate. I would also check into the Vancouver area since it is a quick commute to the Portland VA if you think Portland is for you.

However, if you're set on western Oregon I would look from Salem on south. Eugene has what the VA calls a "super CBOC", an outpatient clinic with nearly all the services of an actual VA hospital. This gets you a little more relaxed location. If you're into the hippie vibe then Eugene is a good place anyways, all the sandles and granola of Portland without the big city traffic. I'm not sure of the services available at the Roseburg VA but I believe it's only about an hour drive from Eugene if the clinic there can't do what you need done.

You may also check what the VA has in Salem, there may be one of those "Super CBOC"s in that area also.

From what I've seen of Roseburg the shopping isn't all that great but I don't think there is anything you can't get in Salem or Eugene. I also believe you can get a decent rental for cheap in the Eugene area although it would be pricier (and louder!) the closer you get to the university.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 34,775 times
"I'm not sure of the services available at the Roseburg VA"
Roseburg VA performs most routine procedures and some surgery. They send serious surgery paients to the Portland VA, and they have an agreement with Mercy Hospital to handle their emergency paients. If you need a routine blood draw at Roseburg, you might have 3 or 4 ahead of you.

"From what I've seen of Roseburg the shopping isn't all that great"
Shopping is adequate, but soon it will have a Costco. You can be shopping in Eugene or Medford within 90 minutes.

If you are looking at over 55 communities, there are some in Roseburg and in Canyonville anout 25 miles South.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,166,813 times
Oh I thought the Costco was already there. I figured the shopping was adequate although the Keizer outlet mall it isn't. I'm in Wyoming right now in a little town that would give their firsts born for a Target. They have a Super Walmart that they call their "mall".

Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM

17,098 posts, read 20,881,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutarara View Post
We are a retired couple looking to move to Oregon, We both on social security,

1. Rentals : what price would be looking at ( nice neighborhood)
2. Shopping
3. V.A hospital

All in all which town would be able to offer us with a comfortable way of living>

Any information would be appreciated.

Howdy mutarara...

For well over four lustrums we have loved living in the mountains west of WC. There is BLM forest on 3 sides. We are in between the Rogue & Umpqua Rivers. I do quite a bit of fishin'. There is a lake closeby & some BLM fireponds that are stocked. Some other lakes not too far.

I don't know how many rentals there are but you might like it around Glendale, Canyonville, or Grants Pass farther south. We buy most of our vittles in GP. Real nice friendly folks is all i've ever come across...

I go to the Roseburg VA Hospital about once a year for a physical, bloodwork, renew meds, any needed shots, doc office visit. The VA is kind & gives us a gasoline allowance.

Best of Luck on where you choose BRO...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon